Pirates Love Game of Thrones

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
HBO is one of the more expensive channels to pay for on Digital Cable, so yes, I pirate it myself.

I would love to own the DVD's someday, though.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Y'know, I was talking with some friends about this. It seemed to me that they could pretty easily cut the piracy in half or more.

1. Create a way to pre-order the current season Game of Thrones DVDs.

2. Give those who pre-order a ticket to stream GoT, and only GoT, in-season.

3. Make a profit off of customers who are presently flocking to Bit Torrent.

Now, I know this will never actually happen, because HBO is deeply invested in remaining part of a stupid, dysfunctional, and slowly dying business paradigm that insists you have to pay for ten channels of home shopping and Fox News when all you want to see is Game of Thrones. But I both hope and believe that a'la carte entertainment and services like Netflix are the future, and it can't happen fast enough to my mind.

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
In the UK the episodes aired once every Monday night so i think were behide the USA but I don't know for sure as I don't know when it aired for the USA.

I haven't watched a episode of Game of Thrones online before, however I have watched every episdoes on my TV and rewatched "Blackwater" on my xbox and "Valor Mongolis?" on anytime again, if I didn't have these I would probably watch online.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
I can completely understand wanting to pirate it. I've been watching it on NetFlix and it's a near-hopeless exercise in frustration.

First, I think NetFlix only bought a dozen or so copies of the series on Blu-Ray. I had to wait over a month from the date the series became available on the service before they shipped me the first disk, even though it was at the top of my queue.

Then, the first disk only had two episodes on it. Fine, there was a lot of bonus content. Disk two was better with three episodes. Last night, my wife and I popped disk three in and watched episode six. When we went to watch episode seven, we were prompted to insert disk four. That's right -- disk three had exactly one fucking episode on it. Screw HBO. I'm generally against piracy, but this is bullshit. If HBO can't be bothered to make episodes available to non-subscribers in a reasonable way (and I'm sure as hell not paying full freight for HBO for one series that comes out with a new episode "once-every-whenever-the-hell-we get-around-to-it") then they deserve to lose profits to pirates.

MrGseff

Jun 10, 2009
Game of Thrones I understand.... but Big Bang Theory?! People actually bother pirating that?!

Also I'm the same in the sense where I will watch ti online for free and then purchase the shiny Blu Ray box set when it's released.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
So many people in this thread admitting piracy and Blu-ray buying.

I'm wondering if HBO even really wants to stop piracy, it sounds like a good business model on it's own: let millions of people watch the show for free, and then profit as the bigger fans all buy the discs.

I men, they already ordered seasons 3 and 4, so I assume the show is profitable as it is, so probably "piracy for everyone, and blu-ray for some of them" might work for them even better than something like Netflix would, where maybe less people would be willing to pay again for the discs.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Monkeylord said:
They paid the iron price
Pwned. For those who don't mind paying the gold price, if HBO offered another method of delivery a day or two later, there would be that option, but once again we have the issue of pirates providing the better service.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Well, it's better than having to watch an entire season during a single weekend with ads and mediocre dubbing and probably cut for violence on some episodes (Same with The Walking Dead btw...On the same channel that shows a reality TV show about old guys living in Thailand in order to inappropriately touch pretty Thai Girls....gotta love german television).
Blu Ray Boxset says i owe no one, and i'll keep on pirate-buying

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Well we have virgin media cable and sky atlantic the channel it shows on over here isn't available to non sky customers. And the time between the end of the series and the dvd release is over about a year or more.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Xanthious said:
ResonanceSD said:
it's not 1788, we can't just take what we want when we want it.
I don't mean to be a contrarian here or anything but, leaving the legal and moral aspects aside for now, if we are talking about music, movies, TV, games, software, audiobooks, comics, phone apps, etc you can indeed take what you want when you want it. In fact in most cases you can do it with impunity . . .from your living room . . . in your pajamas
Shit like this reminds me of that one thread a few months back where that fellow was contemplating ratting his "friend" out to the FBI on piracy. I would love to see the look on your collective faces when your actions have some real consequences to them. Hell I'd fuckin pay to see it.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
But that's simply counting how many times a show has been downloaded right? And seeing how popular Game of Thrones is, it's hardly surprising it's the most downloaded. It would somewhat more interesting to see how many downloads a show has in proportion to how high its ratings are, if it has more pirates/watchers than any other show.

Anyway, I can't say my fingers aren't itching. Where I live I won't be able to watch the second season until sometime next year. But no, I'll wait like the law abiding citizen that I am.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
This brings to mine this comic that rings true for a lot of people I know...

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Piracy provides a better service than a large corporation? ... I am so not shocked.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
We're still on season 1 in Sweden.
I'm not going to be a fucking year behind.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
I'm sure the reason you can't pay for it is because they have a deal with the cable companies wherein they get paid money for being cable exclusive and not publishing to the internet. That being said, I think cable is a sinking ship, and I hope HBO doesn't go down with it. I would love for them to take my money and stream it online.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
What would be the alternative?
Watching the show not in English, requiring a very specific subscription?

Screw that, I'm waiting for a box set with multiple seasons.
Aeonknight said:
Shit like this reminds me of that one thread a few months back where that fellow was contemplating ratting his "friend" out to the FBI on piracy. I would love to see the look on your collective faces when your actions have some real consequences to them. Hell I'd fuckin pay to see it.
In my mind's interpretation of this scenario, you are also furiously masturbating.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I both love and hate this article. It points out some of the reasons why piracy occurs in this case such as the different airing dates. But at the same time, any accumulated evidence concerning piracy is only going to make things harder, and not on pirates either. Only for honest people who watch it.

But, well done regardless. I can't blame the writer when he is only pointing out what bit torrent sites record and release publicly anyway.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I haven't watched TV in 6 years(yes I know).

Everything I watch is online and in my country I don't even have access to HBO so that speaks for itself.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Mr Thin said:
Monkeylord said:
They paid the iron price
It really annoys me when people describe it as that, I feel that it glorifies what is a shameful & unethical action.

Then again, despite how awesome 'paying the iron price' sounds, it too is a shameful & unethical action, so I suppose the comparison is fairly accurate.

OT: I think we all knew most people were pirating this show, but it's nice to have some hard numbers. And though I am firmly against piracy, I have to admit, expecting people to pay for cable & a subscription to HBO so that they can watch this one show is ridiculous.

That's why I buy the series on DVD.

Captcha: that's enough

Even Captcha wants me to stop with my moralising. Fine, I'll shut up now.
Huh. I did both (I sorta fear the modwrath now) I simply cant wait a year, last time I tried I got 'one' thing spoiled about the series every day. If that went on for a year I would have known the whole thing already. So yea, I watched it early and bought it aswell. For each season watched I buy one season, and for the like 60 bucks I cash out for such a thing its not as if they have to cry themself to sleep for loosing a sale.

Case in point, they should release the seasons on DVD earlier. Making people wait for a year just increases risk of piracy, more than all those anti-piracy messages on the legal copies decreases it.