Pixels - An Affront to Videogames and Gamers

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Jake Martinez said:
So, I saw this movie yesterday with my wife.

Over all, I think it was actually pretty good.
Glad to hear you and her had a good time. :)

Even if lots of people say a movie is a pile of Donkey Kong dung, there's nothing wrong with having a good time seeing it.

That said, I gots questions/comments for ya.

Jake Martinez said:
Also, I'm really surprised that some people don't understand that the movie is poking fun of some of the tropes that they are criticizing it on. For instance, the claim that Ashley Benson (Lady Lisa in the film) is a literal trophy - Come on here, the joke is totally "What would happen if a /v/ member met his waifu?" Is it funny? I dunno, that's up to you to decide, but that's the joke. The guy even has a dakimakura of her for christ-sake. It's not a use of the "woman as trophy" trope, that's just insane reaching.
So, what's the joke? You mentioned they got lots of tropes in the film, but how exactly are they made fun of?
From what I've heard the characters are just kind of lazy geek/nerd/dork/gamer/whatever clichés.
Just having them in there isn't necessarily "poking fun of them".

As for the Woman as Trophy bit.
I believe the criticism about it is coming from the part at the end where Qbert (a "Good" video game character who was given to the heroes as a "Reward") is traded in so Ashley's character can be given as a reward instead.

Perhaps there's something else I'm missing, but that sounds a lot like they made a trophy out of Ashley's character.

Anyway, happy you and your wife had a good time. May ya both have many more.
=w= b (<-thumbs up face)

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
DeepReaver said:
So, i really hope that this movie does not come back to bite Peter Dinklage, guy is wasted when he is put in a movie with Adam Sandler.
Dinklage in Pixels, Kit Harington in Silent Hill: Revelations, Emilia Clarke in Terminator: Genysis. What the hell is up with Game of Thrones actors being in supremely shitty movies? Not even just forgettable or simply bad they are all worst of the year kind of shit.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
thanatos388 said:
Dinklage in Pixels, Kit Harington in Silent Hill: Revelations, Emilia Clarke in Terminator: Genysis. What the hell is up with Game of Thrones actors being in supremely shitty movies? Not even just forgettable or simply bad they are all worst of the year kind of shit.
Commitment to a big TV show is probably it as it limits what they can do in the off-season.

Anyway, there's really no point to even getting mad about this; even if Sandler movies make money, they're basically forgotten to the sands of time which is a far worse fate for cinema. Plus there's a new Wreck-It Ralph being made. That'll wash away any potential damage this movie could cause

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Just watch the original two minute short. Far better, and less annoying.
<youtube=ugV6cLgwomo>

Sateru

Jul 11, 2010
I look at this, and smile knowing well that Futurama did this infinitely better.

It makes me think of Foodfight! the movie, only with video game characters instead of licensed merchandise mascots.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Jake Martinez said:
So, I saw this movie yesterday with my wife.

Over all, I think it was actually pretty good and I take a bit of issue with a lot of the criticism I see. Pixel's is obviously a movie for Gen X-ers (like myself) to take their kids to. The 80's references will make the adults chuckle and the amazingly cool looking CGI and special effects of the video game characters and fight scenes will keep the kids enthralled.

Also, I'm really surprised that some people don't understand that the movie is poking fun of some of the tropes that they are criticizing it on. For instance, the claim that Ashley Benson (Lady Lisa in the film) is a literal trophy - Come on here, the joke is totally "What would happen if a /v/ member met his waifu?" Is it funny? I dunno, that's up to you to decide, but that's the joke. The guy even has a dakimakura of her for christ-sake. It's not a use of the "woman as trophy" trope, that's just insane reaching.

Now, far be it from me to defend an Adam Sandler movie that isn't "Happy Gilmore", but I'm actually of the opinion that a lot of reviewers are overreaching in their attempts to just be salty about this film. It's fairly funny, it's competently acted and it looks as good as you would expect a Christopher Columbus movie to look.

That being said, I do agree that Sandler is phoning it in on this film just like he has in the last few he's done, but it's easily outweighed by Dinklage and Gad, with the latter being absolutely stand-out as the crazy conspiracy theorist buddy (and obvious 4channer standin).
Speaking as someone who has viewed video game life from Atari to now, I believe this is all the real evidence I need that I can appreciate this movie. I don't even HAVE any preconceived notions of Adam Sandler. I like the premise and it looks funny. Game, Set, Match, aaand I kick ass, retro style.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I get the feeling most of the outrage comes from gamers being offended rather than being critical of a bad movie. Nobody batted an eye at Blended, which is probably just as bad. But since it had nothing to do with games...

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
RealRT said:
"Hey, we've got a cool premise and nice-looking special effects to go with it! How can we ruin it all? Oh, I know! Let's pick Adam Sandler, the guy who has, if we're being generous, FIVE good movies under his belt and a string of stinkers he's well-known for!"
And a history of changing the scripts and basic premises of movies that originally started as good idea into something stupid.

Seriously, remember the one where he pretended to be gay for some dumb-ass reason? According to the original script writers of that one, they'd originally written it to be a sensitive, sincere, and sympathetic gay love story about an actual gay man, and a straight man starting to question his sexuality... or something along those lines.

Point is, the original premise for that movie sounded good... but the SECOND Sandler got involved, that idea was thrown right out the window and instead... you get the typical, borderline offensive stereotyping of two straight men faking being gay for a very cynical and self-centered reason.

Ugh.

And now Pixels...

What's next Sandler? Going to take a good drama about religious conflict and turn it into a stereotype-driven farce?

Why the fuck can't Sandler's career just die already?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I was insulted just watching the trailer. Sandler has reached the point where if you see his name attached to a film you should automatically know it's going to be bad.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
At this point, I have to wonder why and how people are still fooled into giving Sandler money, both to make movies and later at the friggin' box office. I mean there've been maybe 5-6 decent Sandler flicks, and the rest you could bury in the same landfill they tried to hide E.T. for ATARI in.
I've no need to see this movie, I saw the best version on Futurama and they were smart enough to make it a short part of an anthology because there's very little source material worth exploring beyond that timeframe. Its a one-note joke that can easily overstay its welcome.
*Sigh* Peter Dinklage I thought you had better class than this.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
canadamus_prime said:
I was insulted just watching the trailer. Sandler has reached the point where if you see his name attached to a film you should automatically know it's going to be bad.
Oh the humanity. The freaking thing still topped the charts Friday: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Gorfias said:
canadamus_prime said:
Oh the humanity. The freaking thing still topped the charts Friday: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/
You have got to be kidding me! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
tippy2k2 said:
What I still don't get (and maybe the movie explains it but I sure as hell will never find out) is why would they choose these guys to do all the games?

I get that they were good at video games...but these aren't video games. They use video game mechanics but if I had to choose between Adam Sandler and a world class athlete to play Donkey Kong in real life to determine the fate of the world, I'm choosing the world class athlete over the guy who looks like he'd lose his breath climbing the first ladder. Being good at video games isn't going to get you to jump over that barrel...
Are you sure? I mean sure you COULD choose world class athelete, but they don't know the mechanics of these games. I'd pick the gamer for the sole purpose that, even if they aren't phsically fit, they have an idea of what they are suppose to be doing, and worst case scenerio, can find way around any physical limitation they have.

It's kind like the first time you play a board game and aren't familiar with the rules. Unless you are really lucky, you're going to lose

OT: it's funny. Every gamer or person who lurks on the internet knew this was going to be bad. Who are the guys going into the theaters?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Dear Mr. Ron Whitaker,

Here is a challenge for you:

Make a list of Top 8 Adam Sandler movie.

Ready, set, GO!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
I get the feeling most of the outrage comes from gamers being offended rather than being critical of a bad movie. Nobody batted an eye at Blended, which is probably just as bad. But since it had nothing to do with games...
No kidding, gamers really do blow up at anything that paints them in a less that stunning light nowadays don't they?

OT: Frankly I never gave a crap about this movie. And even now with all the bad reviews being thrown at it, the most I can feel is mild curiosity. That and "OH CHRIST PETER DINKLIEGE! YOU'RE TYRION FUCKING LANNISTER, YOU DESERVE BETTER!"

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Lufia Erim said:
tippy2k2 said:
What I still don't get (and maybe the movie explains it but I sure as hell will never find out) is why would they choose these guys to do all the games?

I get that they were good at video games...but these aren't video games. They use video game mechanics but if I had to choose between Adam Sandler and a world class athlete to play Donkey Kong in real life to determine the fate of the world, I'm choosing the world class athlete over the guy who looks like he'd lose his breath climbing the first ladder. Being good at video games isn't going to get you to jump over that barrel...
Are you sure? I mean sure you COULD choose world class athelete, but they don't know the mechanics of these games. I'd pick the gamer for the sole purpose that, even if they aren't phsically fit, they have an idea of what they are suppose to be doing, and worst case scenerio, can find way around any physical limitation they have.

It's kind like the first time you play a board game and aren't familiar with the rules. Unless you are really lucky, you're going to lose
100% absolutely positively YES YES YES, give me the world class athlete over any of those guys.

(Note: I still have not and in all likeliness will never see Pixels, I am going off of the trailer for this):

Did PacMan teach Adam Sandler how to be a world class race car driver? Did Cenepede teach Josh Gad how to aim, reload, and fire a weapon? Did Donkey Kong teach Peter Dinklage how to jump over barrels?

I know we like to think games are a super awesome skill but seven year old tippy2k2 was playing Donkey Kong and PacMan and Centipede; video games are not a tough skill to learn. From the trailer, it looks like Dinklage was in jail and that had to have taken at least a few hours to get him out; I'm pretty sure you could have a few world class athletes figure out how Donkey Kong works in a few hours.

Hell, worst case scenario, there's bound to be a couple of professional race car drivers, marksmen from the Army, and...uh....anyone with more than a two foot vertical leap who is also a gamer, right?

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I knew this would be crap, and honestly even if it had been great, the premise doesn't interest me.

I liked The Wedding Singer, there ends my positive relationship with Sandler.

Gad is like a knife in my joy, I can't stand him in any capacity. The more I'm exposed to him the more annoyed I get, just like kryptonite for humor.

I just watched cinemasins do Mario Bros. movie, and it brought back all the pain of having watched it that one time as a kid all over again. Bad as it is, an insult to the senses and your greater intelligence as well, as least it didn't have Josh Gad in it. That puts it ahead of Pixels right there.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
So... Would I enjoy this if I can leave my politics behind when watching entertainment media? I mean, I'm sure this is a great review for Identity Politicians but what about those of us that give no fucks about that stuff?

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
SecondPrize said:
So... Would I enjoy this if I can leave my politics behind when watching entertainment media? I mean, I'm sure this is a great review for Identity Politicians but what about those of us that give no fucks about that stuff?
I'm wondering the same thing. Also, love that term: "Identity Politicians" gonna start using it.

Even if the movie is bad, I still can't trust the new Escapist reviewer to review the movie beyond his own narrow perspective....stopped clocks are always right twice a day, after all.