Planescape Creator Has "Kickstarter Fever" - UPDATED

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
i would of thought that the kickstarter thing would be a way for you to go to the people who give you the big money and go look how much support we have now imagine what it will be like when its actually made

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Great Scott! It's like companies have finally figured out that gamers will pay for the games that they want to see.

Seriously guys not a great leap of logic... :p Yay kickstarter!

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
I think an isometric RPG in a not so often used setting would be perfect for it. A fringe setting like Arcanum or Torment, but not a copy or a remake. New story ideas with old tech basically.

I was never as hyped for Psychonauts 2 as some people. I think making a point'n'click adventure was the perfect decision for Double Fine.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
It should be pretty obvious from my avatar how big of a Torment fan I am, but I agree that another Planescape game would only work if it was made for the extremely small niche of people who would fund it. Gamers today are unfamiliar with DnD and especially with Planescape, and it's not a world that's easy to explain. They are also widely retarded and fall into a catatonic coma whenever a dialogue lasts more than 2 sentences (see: the Bioware model). Even if a second Plaescape story were to be funded, it would have to be a labor of love, without deadlines or publisher extortion.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I now have this horrible vision of EA and Activision getting on the kickstarter bandwagon, then when they've milked the fans for all they can get, cancelling production citing 'insufficent funds'

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Quellist said:
I now have this horrible vision of EA and Activision getting on the kickstarter bandwagon, then when they've milked the fans for all they can get, cancelling production citing 'insufficent funds'
EA and Activision are publishers. I don't think anyone would give them a single penny. If they want a game made, they can fund it, that's their job.

As for the "Kickstarter bandwagon", personally there are only a handful of developers that I'd be willing to prefund. Only well known and proven ones, no chucklefucks like Notch who delivered a completely broken product and had the nerve to call it 1.0. Schafer and Gilbert, absolutely. Avellone, yes, if he promises to deliver without compromises to the writing. Molyneux as well, if he decides to ask for support to buy the Dungeon Keeper rights from EA and make a third installment that is faithful to the first two. I also want a new MOTHERFUCKING CRUSADER game, it needs to be made, and I would fund it. Mainly those, and a couple of others. Not much of a bandwagon, at least for me.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Carnagath said:
Quellist said:
EA and Activision are publishers. I don't think anyone would give them a single penny. If they want a game made, they can fund it, that's their job.

As for the "Kickstarter bandwagon", personally there are only a handful of developers that I'd be willing to prefund. Only well known and proven ones, no chucklefucks like Notch who delivered a completely broken product and had the nerve to call it 1.0. Schafer and Gilbert, absolutely. Avellone, yes, if he promises to deliver without compromises to the writing. Molyneux as well, if he decides to ask for support to buy the Dungeon Keeper rights from EA and make a third installment that is faithful to the first two. I also want a new MOTHERFUCKING CRUSADER game, it needs to be made, and I would fund it. Mainly those, and a couple of others. Not much of a bandwagon, at least for me.
Wow, calm down....it was just a joke, i'd throw down for a Planscape 2 or anything remotely related, i just couldnt miss the chance to bash the two worst publishers out there. I mean admit it, they'd do it if they thought they could get away with it

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
I have a better idea: how about we give money to a KS project for them to build us an ISO/turn-based game construction kit? Then we can make all the games and tell all the stories we want to (and even start KS projects of our own). You want the next Planescape/Fallout-looking deal? Write it then - we'll pony up the dough for all the genres we like and everyone wins.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
I remember that the strategy guide mentioned a sequel for Planescape Torment. I wonder if they have design documents or an pitch for that lying around.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Do they plan to give the game free to people who donate above a certain dollar amount? Like, say, $25? They why not just call it a "pre-order", set a price, and say "we'll make this game when we get 300k preorders, tell your friends". It'd market itself, because the people who wanted to see it made would spread the word for you. At various levels of pre-ordering, you could, say, add extra features like texture upgrades or voice acting. Heck, you could even list out things like "these are the voice actors we want to hire, here's how much they cost, if you want to fund it, go for it". Or "here's the composer we want, here's how much she costs, if you want it, buy it".

That'd actually be quite neat, and it'd put a stop to "this game was rushed" or "they could have gotten better actors than this!" stuff.

Anyway, what would I like to see from Obsidian? I'd like to see a new IP, a full-on text-heavy RPG, and I'd LIKE THEM TO PROPERLY BUG TEST IT AND FINISH IT BEFORE THEY RELEASE IT PLEASE.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Davroth said:
I remember that the strategy guide mentioned a sequel for Planescape Torment. I wonder if they have design documents or an pitch for that lying around.
They may never have gotten that far. People forget that Torment was a flop, only sold about 300,000 copies at first release.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Ahh Planescape *sniff, sigh*

I remember fondly the time I glanced at my inventory screen and found I was carrying my left index finger, my entire right arm, my right eyeball, and my intestines wrapped up in a bunch. Good times. Good times.

If they *did* make a sequel, it'd have to be a different character. I don't want Nameless resurrected (ha! see what I did there?!).

But a game where I can roam the streets of Sigil once more; cower in fear from the Lady of Pain; club people to death with one of my limbs; and encourage an old woman to split my skull open just to check if there's anything inside -- that is the stuff dreams are made of. Sick, sick, disturbed dreams.

EDIT: BTW ... I seem to remember there being a Torment novel ... or is that my imagination? I used to DM Planescape campaigns (it was really just a way we used so the same characters could visit the Inn of the Last Home, then Neverwinter, then float around in Spelljammer for awhile, before passing through Sigil on their way to Greyhawk Free City). The Planescape artists were very distinctive - far moreso than much of the other 2nd Ed artwork I feel.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
The possibility of an Obsidian game not weighed down by the pressure and deadlines of the publisher makes me happy.

Seriously, what is it with Obsidian and publishers?

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Yes, maybe it's unreasonable, but I would pay double to make a Planescape sequel happen. For me, it's pure nostalgia, that, for once, held up when I replayed it years later. It's the ultimate game of that particular genre to me.

Heck, I would pay 60 bucks for a Planescape Torment remake, provided they rework the content outside of Sigil, and jazz up the graphics and gameplay a little.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Sequel?
Hell... I'd settle for a remake with proper quest markers and a minimap.
Seriously, that's the main thing that's keeping me from finishing that game.

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
In an interview with the gaming community I am a part of, he said that his dream game for a project like this would be a isometric text heavy old school RPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27204429/OOCCDDFree/OOCCDDEP20.mp3 ~ Approximately 34 minutes in, though I suggest listening to the whole thing.

BentSea

May 26, 2010
Honestly, I think Obsidian should finish one of their games before starting a new one in any way shape or form.