Player Accidentally Unlocks Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer DLC

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
I'm not really a huge fan of the multiplayer so I might leave this out. But a DLC to improve the ending? Yes please (shhh I can hope!).

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
Uber Waddles said:
Jennacide said:
Dear Bioware,

if you charge for this, you are assholes. If this doesn't come with more maps, you are assholes. If you haven't even considered adding more enemy types, you are giant assholes.

And most importantly, if you do the typical Bioware thing and don't intend to patch/rebalance the multiplayer, you need to be ruined. Seriously, the MP is still a buggy mess, with people constantly falling through the world, enemies going immune to damage, skills not firing when clicked on (especially with Biotic Charge, getting Vanguards killed), horrible difficulty scaling from bronze to silver to gold, assault rifles being almost uniformly garbage when compared to heavy pistols, and the soldier class being nearly worthless. Seriously, AR without the time dilation (I realize it had to go for MP) it so beyond shit, especially when you compare it to how stupidly overpowered Energy Drain, Stasis, Sabotage, and Cluster Grenades are.
Yeah, how dare BioWare charge money for extra work they did! Its totally unreasonable to ask that a company seeks higher sales and profits for themselves and shareholders!

You do know they run a business, right? As a business, they have one priority: make money. They don't have to keep you happy about it, they just have to rake in money. Thats not some giant EA thing, its how every successful business in the history of businesses works. Post launch, you are entitled to what you purchased - nothing more. If BioWare decides to offer you things for free, good for them. They win some brownie points.

I don't know why the collective fanbase for ME3 feels so entitled, but you're not. Just because they put the data for a side character they were planning to develop for doesn't mean you are entitled to it. It means they planned their DLC, and knew that would help it. You aren't entitled to new characters, items, perks, enemies, or maps - and you certainly aren't entitled to have them for free.

They have your money, you deserve nothing more. I agree, Multiplayer balance would be nice - but it was a different team then their core ME team that worked on the multiplayer. Chances are, they're already working on a new project - so don't hold your breath on all the tweaks you want for it.
Finally someone who actually is an adult and does not expect hand outs from their mommy's all the time pleasure to meet you there are more of us out there we just blend to stay hidden.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Uber Waddles said:
Yeah, how dare BioWare charge money for extra work they did! Its totally unreasonable to ask that a company seeks higher sales and profits for themselves and shareholders!

You do know they run a business, right? As a business, they have one priority: make money. They don't have to keep you happy about it, they just have to rake in money. Thats not some giant EA thing, its how every successful business in the history of businesses works. Post launch, you are entitled to what you purchased - nothing more. If BioWare decides to offer you things for free, good for them. They win some brownie points.

I don't know why the collective fanbase for ME3 feels so entitled, but you're not. Just because they put the data for a side character they were planning to develop for doesn't mean you are entitled to it. It means they planned their DLC, and knew that would help it. You aren't entitled to new characters, items, perks, enemies, or maps - and you certainly aren't entitled to have them for free.

They have your money, you deserve nothing more. I agree, Multiplayer balance would be nice - but it was a different team then their core ME team that worked on the multiplayer. Chances are, they're already working on a new project - so don't hold your breath on all the tweaks you want for it.
>Defending the scummiest business practices possible

You do realize the point of Capitalism is to offer the best product/service, and NOT just make the most money out of people humanly possible for the least effort, right? Because it's because the latter, and that's fucking wrong. And the worst part is, Bioware has continually lied about the DLC being preplanned, when it's ON THE DISC.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Jennacide said:
Uber Waddles said:

>Defending the scummiest business practices possible

You do realize the point of Capitalism is to offer the best product/service, and NOT just make the most money out of people humanly possible for the least effort, right? Because it's because the latter, and that's fucking wrong. And the worst part is, Bioware has continually lied about the DLC being preplanned, when it's ON THE DISC.
The point of Capitalism is not to offer the best product or service. Its to allow the Free Market, a force that the collective conscious of all consumers make up, to determine what is viable and what is not viable. In a Capitalistic society, business practices mean nothing unless they give reason for us not to give them our money, and instead give them to a competitor. Check ME3's sales - the people have spoken.

The whole reason people like you are upset is because this idea of entitlement. The DLC is on the disk? I guess the 600MB download is one HELL of a long access code. There is a difference between "The DLC is on the disk" and "a character from the DLC is on the disk." Javik is on the disk. The mission to unlock him is not. The backstory for him is not. Just his AI, character model, and dialogue.

And do you know why this was done? In game development, right before the game is sent for bug checks and given to OK for mass production, pre-planning for DLC is started. This is usually done so Day 1 DLC or First Month DLC can be prepared and launched within time. Making a character is not that hard to do if you can still manipulate the code of the game - you can integrate him so he's part of the world and make him an interactable force. Once you ship that code for mass production, including a new character thats interactable is a lot more difficult. Instead of integrating the code, you have to make the code over-lap with DLC, which can cause more problems than its worth.

Developing and integrating Javik was something they could easily do - Prothean models already existed, they could get the voice actor and have him deliver his lines in a period of 1-3 days, and have it on the disk in time for mass production. Having that extra scenario would be something that would either push back the release date or be rushed and sloppy. Lets not forget that Javik was originally supposed to be in the game either. His basic model, animations and AI were formed early down the line, then axed because his original role wasn't good enough. WHen the DID bring him back, he was not like they had original planned, and was not meant to be a character with major plot implications. If you played From Ashes, you'll see: he's not that important of a character. He has a few "well, thats pretty neat" moment, but nothing that wont excite all but the hardcore.

The point is, the DLC itself was not on the disk. It was not done before the game was shipped for mass production. And BioWare has the right to charge you for it - why should they bust their asses and get nothing to show for it? Javiks story is not important to understanding and enjoying ME3. He was an extra character with a neat back story, not an essential part you wont understand the game without.

Greg Waller

Mar 5, 2012
Uber Waddles said:
not an essential part you wont understand the game without.
And this is why they'll never release DLC that could potentially affect the ending already in the game. We're stuck with this giant cluster-fuck of a bullshit finale and there's nothing we can do about it.