PlayStation 3 Not Powerful Enough to Realize Gran Turismo Creator's Dream

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Woodsey said:
KaosuHamoni said:
Here we go... More ammo for the 360 fanboys..
Why would that be more ammo? It's more powerful than a 360.

OT: Build one on a PC then.
The hilarious part isthe PS3's ability to partition a game. Infamous had such poor graphics because the Devs dumped the entire game on the slowest partition of the drive. The PS3 might be dated, but only a decently powerful PC can beat it as the 360 is weaker.

I wonder if he's making the same Mistake, not using the drive partition to its full capacity. Then again, if you want to toss in every imaginable factor of driving and racing into a racing sim, they just might need to wait for a next gen console.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
The dude has some high standards, maybe should try the hypothetical future super computer, the one Crysis was made for.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
KaosuHamoni said:
Woodsey said:
KaosuHamoni said:
Because PS3 gamer's main counter-ammunition against the 360 is that its more powerful, but here we have a game too powerful for it, which means that this will spark a whole "but not good enough to run the proper GT5". =/
Again, a 360 is more powerful than a PS3.

Neither set of fanboys are generally very intelligent, but you've got to be a real idiot to deride one machine for not being able to run the "true" version of a game when yours is less powerful.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Calico93 said:
Im guessing his dream is basically incredibly realistic graphics ? Like photo realistic ?
From what ive seen already it looks very VERY realistic, and hes still not satisfied, hmmmf.
He might as well just film some cars on a track and sell that.
I dont think a good game is all about good graphics but whatever.
Well he apologized for the graphics, sure, but he's nottalking realistic in just looks. He means the weather can change at any moment, start to rain and the moment it does, it affects the roads. Damage, tire wear, being shunted or shunting, sliding out, controls. He makes REALISTIC sims.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
Woodsey said:
KaosuHamoni said:

The hilarious part isthe PS3's ability to partition a game. Infamous was so poorly graphiced because the Devs dumped the entire game on the slowest partition of the drive. The PS3 might be dated, but only a decently powerful PC can beat it as the 360 is weaker.

I wonder if he's making the same Mistake, not using the drive partition to its full capacity. Then again, if you want to toss in every imaginable factor of driving and racing into a racing sim, they just might need to wait for a next gen console.
"Graphiced"?

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
KaosuHamoni said:
Here we go... More ammo for the 360 fanboys...

Honestly though, the PS3 is dated, wtf do you expect?
xb360 is based off of older tech than the ps3. IGN did an article about it, go check it out. Also, take note of the many similarities between the original xbox and the 360 and note the many dissimilarities between the ps2 and the ps3 and question who made the biggest tech leap.
Anywho, I believe this situation is similar to the 1st crisis and to the creation of the original atari. Developers like these are the kind of guys that really kick-started the gaming industry. The guy who created the first games for the atari actually had to wait for the hardware to be invented. His ideas were ahead of his time just the same as these guys. I'll admit it is a little annoying when a game is created so greatly by devs with such high expectations that it either can't be played by all (crisis) or it has to be scaled down (Gran5). However, when do need these guys to keep doing what they do best (heh, wolverines) because they are the innovators that push this industry foward.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:

Gran Turismo 5 [http://www.amazon.com/Gran-Turismo-5-Playstation-3/dp/B002BSA1C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289239571&sr=8-1] is a clean and beautiful as it can be, says Polyphony Digital boss Kaz Yamauchi, but not clean and beautiful enough.

All Yamauchi wants to do is making the ultimate driving simulator. It's a pretty singular dream, but one he's yet to make a reality. The problem, he says, is that there's not a PlayStation powerful enough to handle the game he wants to make.

In an interview with Esquire UK, Yamauchi said that hardware inevitably constrained any software that was develop for it. He said that the PS was a bigger "vessel" than it's predecessors, but still wasn't big enough to do do everything that Yamauchi wanted. He added that Polyphony had made Gran Turismo 5 as "clean and beautiful as possible," but added that there is plenty more he would have included if he could.

It does have to be said that Yamauchi is something of a perfectionist. GT5 has suffered multiple delays while Polyphony tweaked and tuned it, and Yamauchi recently "begged forgiveness [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104523-Gran-Turismo-5-Creator-Begs-Forgiveness-Over-Frame-Rate-Issues]," because the game would occasionally drop below 60fps - at a resolution of 1080p, no less - if there was a lot happening on screen. It's hard to shake the feeling that if you took away the hardware limitations of the PlayStation platform, Yamauchi would get so wrapped up in his perfect game, that he'd never actually release anything ever again.

Gran Turismo 5 doesn't have a release date yet, although Sony claims it will be out before the end of the year.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=274146]

Is this a Clue for 2012 -> PS4... sadly.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Woodsey said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Woodsey said:
KaosuHamoni said:

The hilarious part isthe PS3's ability to partition a game. Infamous had such poor graphics because the Devs dumped the entire game on the slowest partition of the drive. The PS3 might be dated, but only a decently powerful PC can beat it as the 360 is weaker.

"Graphiced"?
Didn't sound right to you too huh? Didn't think it was a word. Fixed it though

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
TimeLord said:
I thought this was already established knowledge?

Make a better console for it then! Combine the 360, PS3 and Wii to make a super console capable of running GT5!
i dont think a racing game is worth the effort... especially one from japan.

well, i have to agree with the PC Elitists, thats the only place it could realize this designers "dream"

Tangouser

Aug 12, 2008
The Playstation 3 is four years old now. Compared to the PC it is not longer top of the line when it comes to graphics, this isn't exactly news.

Andsre

Dec 25, 2008
He needs more power?

[http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p141/Jargash/?action=view&current=demotiv_pic_1510-images.jpg]

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
It would appear your driving simulator requires more...

Seriously though, this is like James Cameron complaining that he doesn't have a big enough budget to make his films.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
What a load of nonsense. If the PS3 isn't powerful enough and he really wanted to make the best he could he'd go PC. If he's talking about making a realistic driving sim, maybe he could start with making something vaguely realistic.

There aren't any proper console driving sims. Well perhaps F1 2010, but I'm not sure what that's like.

I knew GT was only going to go downhil when they made a statement about one of the earlier games being at its best during the license modes. It was something along the lines of the player not being able to get in the way of the purity of it all.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
He is an Japanese Developer.

Part of the Japanese (Corporate) Culture is to say sorry for everything you do. If it's just breathing, well guess what you have to say sporry that you breath so loud, or perhabs too fast or that your rythm is off or what have you.

That said i really disslike tha arrongant tones of PC-Fanboys in here.

Coliumbos

Mar 15, 2010
Orcus_35 said:
Logan Westbrook said:

Gran Turismo 5 [http://www.amazon.com/Gran-Turismo-5-Playstation-3/dp/B002BSA1C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289239571&sr=8-1] is a clean and beautiful as it can be, says Polyphony Digital boss Kaz Yamauchi, but not clean and beautiful enough.

All Yamauchi wants to do is making the ultimate driving simulator. It's a pretty singular dream, but one he's yet to make a reality. The problem, he says, is that there's not a PlayStation powerful enough to handle the game he wants to make.

In an interview with Esquire UK, Yamauchi said that hardware inevitably constrained any software that was develop for it. He said that the PS was a bigger "vessel" than it's predecessors, but still wasn't big enough to do do everything that Yamauchi wanted. He added that Polyphony had made Gran Turismo 5 as "clean and beautiful as possible," but added that there is plenty more he would have included if he could.

It does have to be said that Yamauchi is something of a perfectionist. GT5 has suffered multiple delays while Polyphony tweaked and tuned it, and Yamauchi recently "begged forgiveness [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104523-Gran-Turismo-5-Creator-Begs-Forgiveness-Over-Frame-Rate-Issues]," because the game would occasionally drop below 60fps - at a resolution of 1080p, no less - if there was a lot happening on screen. It's hard to shake the feeling that if you took away the hardware limitations of the PlayStation platform, Yamauchi would get so wrapped up in his perfect game, that he'd never actually release anything ever again.

Gran Turismo 5 doesn't have a release date yet, although Sony claims it will be out before the end of the year.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=274146]

Is this a Clue for 2012 -> PS4... sadly.
Something tells me console perfection isn't worth the end of the world, as Sony fanboys descend in their festive plumpness in anticipation of an XMAs release.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The Playstation 3 isn't powerful enough to realize his vision of a driving simulator. Oh damn. I guess I'll have to just go hop in my car and drive it for real then. How tragic.

Seriously man, keep your broken game to yourself. After all this time you can't keep the damn frame rate up, you are a terrible game designer. A good one would cut something out of the graphics or whatever in order to keep the frame rate up so gamers have a fun time playing, but here you are, some fart sniffing asshole dev saying "sorry gamers, I refuse to sacrifice my vision of a fucking driving game, so enjoy the framerate drops ruining your playtime!".

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
well I geus we have to wait for the next generation to play GTR 5 the PS3 is the heaviest console on the market (at this point)

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Wasnt one of the big selling points of the ps3 that it was "More powerful of a system then the 360"?

I mean, im not trying to diss the playstation or anything but.....