Playstation 5 out now?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So this has to be one of the biggest launch blunders I've ever tried to navigate. As you might know, Sony decided to sell the Playstation 5 through online method's ONLY. Meaning even if you buy it from Best Buy or Walmart or whatever, you must make your purchase online, and only then can you go to the store to get it picked up. This is to prevent people from flooding stores and risking covid.....despite you having to go to most of these stores in person for a pick up, defeating the purpose.

As with most online sales you can pretty much guess how it has turned out. But good news, if you really really want a PS5, you can get one on Ebay for the low low price of $1700.

Seriously Fuck anyone and everyone who has done this. Fuck Scalpers and Fuck Sony for not thinking this through one single iota. What a fucking stupid messy decision. Anyone with a functioning brain should have seen this coming.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
So this has to be one of the biggest launch blunders I've ever tried to navigate. As you might know, Sony decided to sell the Playstation 5 through online method's ONLY. Meaning even if you buy it from Best Buy or Walmart or whatever, you must make your purchase online, and only then can you go to the store to get it picked up. This is to prevent people from flooding stores and risking covid.....despite you having to go to most of these stores in person for a pick up, defeating the purpose.

As with most online sales you can pretty much guess how it has turned out. But good news, if you really really want a PS5, you can get one on Ebay for the low low price of $1700.

Seriously Fuck anyone and everyone who has done this. Fuck Scalpers and Fuck Sony for not thinking this through one single iota. What a fucking stupid messy decision. Anyone with a functioning brain should have seen this coming.
Nah bro you're just angry at yourself for not pre-ordering in time. ;)

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Mate, there's a PS5 on eBay for £10 000...these grifter aren't thinking big enough. Small fry, I tells ya!

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yep, it's out now. I'm seeing people with boasting rights all over. I'm jealous as heck.

1605202641784.png

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Huh, how do you actually stop scalpers and basic supply and demand? The Xbox Series X is on eBay too. Sony did that thing where they were offering pre-orders to dedicated PlayStation gamers, which, in theory, would be selling it to those that really do want the system so that there would be less scalping. Yet there was backlash, at least, on here about Sony doing that. I'd like to see your plan for selling something at launch where you don't have the supply to meet demand while eliminating scalping somehow. Lastly, there's really no reason to buy either of these new systems yet anyway because there's no games. It wasn't until 2016 (3 years after PS4 was released) that I played a game that was 8+/10, I suspect about the same for this gen as well.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
d like to see your plan for selling something at launch where you don't have the supply to meet demand while eliminating scalping somehow
I would care less about scalping, if you could just go to the store and buy a console. Like when the Switch first came out and pre-orders were all crazy sold out and whatever. I was able to walk into my walmart at 7am when they opened, and they had 7 available and i bought one. Easy peasy no big deal. No online fuss, no pre-order panic.

The problem with selling online only, is that the bots flood the system and lock out the majority of people. Every site breaks the second Ps5's go up.

Lastly, there's really no reason to buy either of these new systems yet anyway because there's no games. It wasn't until 2016 (3 years after PS4 was released) that I played a game that was 8+/10, I suspect about the same for this gen as well.
Frankly you are notorious for shitting on the Ps4 generation, and it looks like you are maintaining that behavior through this next one as well. You've made your position about hating modern gaming for the most part quite clear.

The fact that you can dismiss, Demon's Souls, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Godfall, Dirt 5, just goes to show how little your opinion on gaming actually holds any water, because you are just talking shit for the sake of talking shit.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I would care less about scalping, if you could just go to the store and buy a console. Like when the Switch first came out and pre-orders were all crazy sold out and whatever. I was able to walk into my walmart at 7am when they opened, and they had 7 available and i bought one. Easy peasy no big deal. No online fuss, no pre-order panic.

The problem with selling online only, is that the bots flood the system and lock out the majority of people. Every site breaks the second Ps5's go up.

Frankly you are notorious for shitting on the Ps4 generation, and it looks like you are maintaining that behavior through this next one as well. You've made your position about hating modern gaming for the most part quite clear.

The fact that you can dismiss, Demon's Souls, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Godfall, Dirt 5, just goes to show how little your opinion on gaming actually holds any water, because you are just talking shit for the sake of talking shit.
I think the online thing is all about the pandemic honestly.

How am I supposed to be excited for a remake of a PS3 game (that I can play on PS3)? I know you know Souls isn't my thing but if it were a Shadow of the Colossus remake (assuming no PS4 remake happened obviously), which is my thing, I'd be saying the same thing. Spiderman is on PS4, Yakuza is on PS4, Dirt 5 is on PS4. Why do I need a PS5 to play those games? And, PS4 versions of these games will not be like PS3 versions of Middle-earth or Watch Dogs or Dragon Age Inquisition because PS3 hardware is far shittier than PS4 hardware (at the end of their life cycles), PS3 has 256 MEGABYTES of RAM and very different cell architecture; PS4 has 8GBs of RAM and basic x86 architecture.

Godfall looks to be another grind-a-thon and currently has a Metacritic of 61. I'm supposed to be excited for that why?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I think the online thing is all about the pandemic honestly.
Thats the excuse they use, but people are already going to these stores to buy other products anyway so it's a half-baked excuse imo.

How am I supposed to be excited for a remake of a PS3 game (that I can play on PS3)
Because some people haven't played it before. Like i came late to the Soul train and i never got the chance to play the game. But even Souls players are excited to play the remake of the game with the incredible new look to it. You are just being jaded.

Spiderman is on PS4, Yakuza is on PS4, Dirt 5 is on PS4. Why do I need a PS5 to play those games?
That wasn't your argument, you said that the new generation had no games. That's a lie. Just because you can play them cross gen, doesn't invalidate their presence on the new gen. Additionally you and I both know that the experience in next-gen is quite different.

Godfall looks to be another grind-a-thon and currently has a Metacritic of 61. I'm supposed to be excited for that why?
Some people like games despite what Metacritic says? You not being excited for it is irrelevant because you aint ever excited for things it seems.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Yeah, scalpers are assholes. what does it help that you have companies like sony, and especially Nintendo that know about these things, but do nothing to alleviate it, encourage it, or make things worse. I still plan on getting a next gen console, but I'm going to wait a couple years. Plus, the games I want to play on PS5 don't come or delayed to 2021 or 2022.

Godfall does look interesting. I would not mind giving that one a spin. So I am really looking forward to ratchet and clank.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Thats the excuse they use, but people are already going to these stores to buy other products anyway so it's a half-baked excuse imo.

Because some people haven't played it before. Like i came late to the Soul train and i never got the chance to play the game. But even Souls players are excited to play the remake of the game with the incredible new look to it. You are just being jaded.

That wasn't your argument, you said that the new generation had no games. That's a lie. Just because you can play them cross gen, doesn't invalidate their presence on the new gen. Additionally you and I both know that the experience in next-gen is quite different.

Some people like games despite what Metacritic says? You not being excited for it is irrelevant because you aint ever excited for things it seems.
It just seems like a lose-lose for any company. Have people rush stores for new product and get bad PR for possibly spreading the virus or do online only and people get mad about scalpers.

If I wanted to play Demon's Souls, I would have already. And if I played Demon's Souls and loved it, I'm not going to be excited for a game I already played regardless of if I think it's the greatest thing ever. Graphics don't make a game.

The experience is quite different how? I just explained how it will be much different playing PS5 games on PS4 vs playing PS4 games on PS3 (where many of the games were greatly downgraded).

Godfall was something I wasn't interested it to begin with (based on the type of game it is) and the reviews aren't very good for it. If a game is something I'm not into normally but word on the street is that it's the best of that type of game, I'll usually give it a try (like say Monster Hunter World, which is close to the type of game Godfall is actually). And, that does not seem very likely at all to be the case for Godfall. I get excited for games; I was excited for and loved Desperados 3, Disco Elysium, and Divinity OS2, I'm excited to play Wasteland 3 (I haven't gotten around to it), I'm excited for Gamedec, Weird West, and Deathloop. I post all the games that I think look good from say the PS5 reveal or a game convention or the Escapists' indie showcase all the time.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The experience is quite different how? I just explained how it will be much different playing PS5 games on PS4
I mean, if you can't tell the difference then there is nothing I can do to explain it to you.

You've already expressed your complete disregard for the generation so I don't see any point in trying to convince you otherwise.

You don't care about Ps5? Great you are one less person I have to battle the online nonsense to get mine. So thanks.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I mean, if you can't tell the difference then there is nothing I can do to explain it to you.

You've already expressed your complete disregard for the generation so I don't see any point in trying to convince you otherwise.

You don't care about Ps5? Great you are one less person I have to battle the online nonsense to get mine. So thanks.
Telling a difference and there being "quite a difference" are 2 different things. Watch Dogs/Middle-earth PS3 vs PS4, quite a difference; Spiderman PS4 vs PS5, a noticeable but not "quite a difference".

Where did I say I have complete disregard for the generation? I have complete disregard for it as it stands now at launch (very few consoles launch with killer apps) but where it is now and 3 years from now are 2 different things. I will most likely get a PS5 eventually as a PS5 will be cheaper than getting a video card and power supply for my PC.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Online orders only are for covid.

Did they go to the store anyway? Yes, those that had a confirmed order.

What didn't happen was a bunch of people lining up overnight in front of stores to get a limited product. That's the "for covid" bit.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah, scalpers are assholes. what does it help that you have companies like sony, and especially Nintendo that know about these things, but do nothing to alleviate it, encourage it, or make things worse. I still plan on getting a next gen console, but I'm going to wait a couple years. Plus, the games I want to play on PS5 don't come or delayed to 2021 or 2022.

Godfall does look interesting. I would not mind giving that one a spin. So I am really looking forward to ratchet and clank.
This too shall pass. I wait about 6 months to a year typically.
Godfall doesn't have a PS4 version? 1605215383427.png

That seems odd. So many titles were PS3/4 for at least the 1st year of 4.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It just seems like a lose-lose for any company. Have people rush stores for new product and get bad PR for possibly spreading the virus or do online only and people get mad about scalpers.

If I wanted to play Demon's Souls, I would have already. And if I played Demon's Souls and loved it, I'm not going to be excited for a game I already played regardless of if I think it's the greatest thing ever. Graphics don't make a game.

The experience is quite different how? I just explained how it will be much different playing PS5 games on PS4 vs playing PS4 games on PS3 (where many of the games were greatly downgraded).

Godfall was something I wasn't interested it to begin with (based on the type of game it is) and the reviews aren't very good for it. If a game is something I'm not into normally but word on the street is that it's the best of that type of game, I'll usually give it a try (like say Monster Hunter World, which is close to the type of game Godfall is actually). And, that does not seem very likely at all to be the case for Godfall. I get excited for games; I was excited for and loved Desperados 3, Disco Elysium, and Divinity OS2, I'm excited to play Wasteland 3 (I haven't gotten around to it), I'm excited for Gamedec, Weird West, and Deathloop. I post all the games that I think look good from say the PS5 reveal or a game convention or the Escapists' indie showcase all the time.

If I was planning on getting one any time soon I’d be way more interested in using the new controller, which is apparently the main draw for playing on PS5 over previous gen versions. It makes it feel like there was actually a reason for a new console generation. 8th gen was all about being economical more than anything.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
If I was planning on getting one any time soon I’d be way more interested in using the new controller, which is apparently the main draw for playing on PS5 over previous gen versions. It makes it feel like there was actually a reason for a new console generation. 8th gen was all about being economical more than anything.
I did forget about that, I will want to try out the controller and see how much it actually makes a difference. Though there is that Linus video on the PS4 controller and what it can do and developers never took advantage of it.