Playstation 5 reveal event thread

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I don't think it has to do with fog. The Original has this bloom lighting that's very outdated by todays standards, but added so much of what made the visuals eerie. Not to get all boomer, but a lot of creepy games from the past were so in large part due to the graphical style. By making it more realistically textured and lit you lose that original atmosphere. Maybe the Remake can compensate in other areas, but some of these screenshots look really flat so far.
Flat? Are you blind? The remake adds a vibrancy that was never there in the original game, and not by choice considering how DeS remake looks to be more of an extrapolation of DkS3's art direction. The low resolution textures perhaps added to the moody atmosphere but this was hardly intentional, From just knows how to deal with it by adding for example muted colors so they get a feel of their own even if the assets themselves are pretty bad. Remake definitely looks more like the game they wanted to make given they had the technology and budget. The decay and downfall looks much more realistic here instead of a brown smudge.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I hadn't looked into the RE8 trailer since I never cared for that series but watching this whole thing I am actually really interested in playing it now.
Oh I see. You're one of the new guys who jumped on the RE bandwagon when it changed to suit your tastes.

Peh, you ain't a real fan. :p

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Oh I see. You're one of the new guys who jumped on the RE bandwagon when it changed to suit your tastes.

Peh, you ain't a real fan. :p
No, never mind being a real fan, I'm more of a disliker/hater than a far. I don't even know if I'd call myself a fan of VIII since it takes more than a trailer to make me into one. I'd have to play the game. I'm just for the first time interested in doing so is all.

I've always been in team silent hill and never cared for RE since RE1 back in the ps1 days. It's like liking dr. pepper over coke or something lol. I played 1-3 and didn't care for them at all while Silent Hill was amazing and I just was super into that instead up until it went to shit right after The Room (pretty underrated game that one btw, it's not sh2 but not bad at all either).

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
My issue wit this game is I have no freaking clue what it is. Is it a visual novel? Adventure game? Dating sim?

Other than that it looks emo and angsty but not bad lol. Maybe people just don't like dinosaur-folk? Do they look too much like otherkins? XD

It does? I didn't notice that, how can you tell? (serous question)

They all look like dinosaur people to me.
Yeah they don't really tell you much about the kind of game it is. The steam page mentions branching narrative but that could could still mean anything from VN to adventure game to a hybrid. I'm kinda leaning to it being a hybrid, it sounds like there are a bunch of mini-games so I'll bet the outcomes of those will feature into the branching story paths, but ultimately this is just speculation till they release more info and it does look angsty. The steam store does have the Visual Novel tag but that tends to be overused.

Otherkins? They are already anthro, I don't think anthro can be otherkin, isn't otherkin a person who thinks they have a spirit of an animal in them or something?

The steam store page says representation of queer teenage life and has the LGBTQ+ tag

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well, looks like gamers got another game to ***** and moan about.

Such a negative reaction, both on the youtube uploads and the steam forums. Gamers really do suck.
Why are they bitching about this? It just seems like a Dinosaur based LBGTQ friendly Oxenfree style game or something. Honestly there isn't any information on it, or at least not enough to ***** at.

Edit: Interesting.....bitching isn't censored but take away the "ing" and it is.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well, looks like gamers got another game to ***** and moan about.

Such a negative reaction, both on the youtube uploads and the steam forums. Gamers really do suck.
Well, its different. I'll give it that. No sodding clue what its about but it looks like a niche title for a niche audience. So if folks could stop shitting their internet pants that'd be grand.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Edit: Interesting.....bitching isn't censored but take away the "ing" and it is.
Makes me wonder why they're censoring it at all. The CoC says that swearing is permitted, it's just on us to not over-do it. If it's actually bad things like racial slurs and such I get it, but, everything else? We're not 6, pretty sure the user base can handle it. Ends up looking haled assed this way

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Why are they bitching about this? It just seems like a Dinosaur based LBGTQ friendly Oxenfree style game or something. Honestly there isn't any information on it, or at least not enough to ***** at.

I'm honestly not sure, I don't want to dig deep enough to find out since it could only be stupid. I have a feeling its mainly because of 'furry' and the gays. Maybe with some teen angst thrown in.

Yeah the auto censorship stuff is weird, some games censor really weird words, like in monster hunter tri you can't say 'behind' in some hero shooters like Paladins it actually censors parts of some characters names unless you capitalize them. Trying to automate the process just makes things really stupid.

Well, its different. I'll give it that. No sodding clue what its about but it looks like a niche title for a niche audience. So if folks could stop shitting their internet pants that'd be grand.
From the steam page it sounds like its going to be a VN hybrid kind of game, like mostly visual novel but with a bunch of mini-games and puzzles and such, but yeah some actual game play would have been nice.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here is Simmons with his thoughts. One of the times where he has a lot of legit points.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Did they intentionally make the disk based PS5 uglier to get people to buy the all-digital version?

May 27, 2020
Wow, surprised at all the hate Volcano High is getting. I liked Night in the Woods, and that’s the kind of vibe I’m getting. No idea what to expect otherwise, but I’m interested.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Did they intentionally make the disk based PS5 uglier to get people to buy the all-digital version?
I like the console. I think you'll need to buy the disc version for the system to play your PS4 games. I wouldn't be surprised to see the disc version being the backwards compatable one and being more expensive. Then the digitial version being the cheaper straight PS5 version.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I assume the digital version will be cheaper but I doubt many people will go for it, being completely diskless is a no go for things like gamefly and all those ps4 BC games and I tend to get physical LEs for the goodies here and there which you won't be able to do.

Yeah they don't really tell you much about the kind of game it is. The steam page mentions branching narrative but that could could still mean anything from VN to adventure game to a hybrid. I'm kinda leaning to it being a hybrid, it sounds like there are a bunch of mini-games so I'll bet the outcomes of those will feature into the branching story paths, but ultimately this is just speculation till they release more info and it does look angsty. The steam store does have the Visual Novel tag but that tends to be overused.

Otherkins? They are already anthro, I don't think anthro can be otherkin, isn't otherkin a person who thinks they have a spirit of an animal in them or something?

The steam store page says representation of queer teenage life and has the LGBTQ+ tag
I got the otherkin thing because it looked to me like a bunch of normal kids just imagining themselves as dinosaurs. It didn't have much of anything unique outside of them all looking like dinosaurs.

And I see, I didn't check any pages about it, I just judged the trailer. Maybe they just use the term queer in the original sense which means odd? Prolly not haha.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the RE series reached its natural conclusion plotwise in RE5, and since then, it seems to be willing to do whatever, as long as it's horror-based, with "insert pathogen here" being the catalyst for whatever the plot demands it to be. RE8 looks like it'll be fun, but just remember that this:

Is in the same universe as this:

You tell me how well they sync up.
Doesn't bother me.

Capcom's idea with REVII seemed to be exploring the series from a different perspective(LAUGH DAMMIT), and i think it delivered on that quite well.

I got burned on mainline story with RE6, so i'm fine with them testing new waters a little.

VII was thematically a hillbilly horror, clearly inspired by "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". VIIIage looks like it heavily borrows from gothic horror.
Hope IX goes full sci-fi horror and will be called LAB(L9b? La9?). Or not, lot's of subgenres to explore.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Is Chris back on roids again? He looked normal in RE1, then he was suddenly a gigantic boulder punching bodybuilder in RE5, then he looked normal again in the redesign in RE7(best design yet imo) and now he looks roided up again. Well, roided up and washed up to be honest. xD

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is Chris back on roids again? He looked normal in RE1, then he was suddenly a gigantic boulder punching bodybuilder in RE5, then he looked normal again in the redesign in RE7(best design yet imo) and now he looks roided up again. Well, roided up and washed up to be honest. xD
His design clearly based off his RE6 & Vendetta design, looking more like himself. The problem with RE7 Chris was that he looked too different and younger, despite being older. To the point of looking like a completely different person. I know Chris has never had the most consistent character design, but the RE7 version might as well been a different character. Also, he's got a new voice actor again. The actor who played Carlos in RE3Remake.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm really not fond of RE7's Chris. There's nothing wrong with the model itself, it's just that it's so out of sync with all of his other appearances, which weren't only cohesive, but also reflected his age. See this:

And look at his infobox images. One of these things ain't like the others.

I also disagree that he's roided up in RE8. If anything, he seems to have got fat. I mean, it makes sense, he'd be nearly 50 years old by the time the game takes place. If he doesn't settle down soon, he won't be able to continue the Redfield bloodline.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

It’s probably because the first is a neutral verb and what it turns into taking “ing” away is a derogatory term, primarily aimed at females.