PlayStation UK Boss Upset With Fan Reaction to PS4 Event

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Eggsnham said:
I'm personally more irritated that they're releasing next-gen consoles in the first place, we haven't even reached the pinnacle of what the current generation machines can do, do we really need another batch of consoles to replace the current ones?

Like the saying goes; If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
We've long since maxed out what a console can do. Why do you think they have low rez textures, small draw distances, and sub HD resolution with no AA AF SSAO HBAO tessellation or anything like that. Tiny amounts of ram and a 7 year old gpu just doesn't cut it anymore

Webb Myers

May 17, 2010
If there was a demonstrably working box, I could convince myself that all the demo footage was real and that price and release dates are mere details to be announced later.

Without a box, the entire presentation smells of vaporware. Now that all the tech specs, pretty videos, and release(?) titles are out there, it's going to be hard for me to still be excited 9 months from now. When (if?) they do eventually show the box and name a release date & price, I'm unlikely to be impressed with anything less than a Half-Life 3 announcement.

I suppose that, at the very least, they've put all the developers on notice that those games had better be ready when the PS4 is.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Gotta agree with Gara, but that's coming from a PC gamer that spent all of £20 on his case so clearly doesn't give a single solitary fuck about appearance so long as it is functional and performs well.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
My problem was that its supposed to be a console reveal in theory and it was just a glorified tech demo. It was just a "box" somewhere with a controller linked to it. This was not a Playstation 4, it was just a computer running games that are expected to be on it.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
This whole business with Colonial Marines gave gamers a nice reminder not to believe in all of the hype.

What's more, Sony has past examples of showing videos demonstrations that were... less than indicative of the final product. Sony deciding to use Killzone to demonstrate the PS4 brought up some very unfortunate memories about the PS3 pre-launch.

Between the recent events creating a layer of cynicism among potential early adopters and the fact that there's precedence of Sony exaggerating what their console can do, some people took the presentation with a few more grains of salt than they might have last time around.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
I am very concerned about the battery life of these LED screen controllers. Smartphones need recharged every day, i guess these controllers will need the same to operate.

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
I can see where he's coming from, and it's not like it's difficult to predict what it would look like.

But he should also understand the when something is generally built up to be a reveal of the new console people may actually want to see the thing.
The UK boss needs his head examined.

What's the one thing gamers hate most. Unfinished products.

What was the PS4 reveal. An unfinished product.

Would it have been so hard to wait until you had a console, firm launch material and a fleshed out package to show? Why would you not want to put your best foot forward when you want to try and erase the previous console generation and try and come out on top this one?

All PS4 has done was shown Xbox720 what NOT to do.

STILL! I'm looking forward to it, and I really do hope all the developers are able to deliver a revolutionary experience instead of just episodic rehashed sequels because they can't manage a budget to produce a stellar new experience for less money than a AAA title would need to recoup.

We'll see!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Does he want my money or not?

I want to know where my money might go. I want to know as much as possible. What does it look like? What can it do? What games are on it? What features are in it? Is it backwards compatible? Is it big or small? Is it black or white? How much does it cost? What online service will it use? How will it handle online purchases and used games? What media formats will it play? What innovations will it make? Why should I get this over a high-end PC? What sort of PS3 support will there be following its launch? Etc.

I'm the customer. If you want me to buy your system, you have to SHOW what the "damn thing" is and is capable of. If only they had, like, a PS4 Reveal Event or something where they could've done that...

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I've gotta agree with him. Sure it would be nice to see what sort of design the thing will have but the amount of vitriol over it not being shown at the event is just nauseating. If it does what you want and, most important, plays the games you want to play, it doesn't matter what it looks like.. at all. Seriously. If you can seriously say that the appearance of a console would stop you from buying it even though it's got all of the games you want to play it, then you should probably reconsider why you're buying it in the first place.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Eh, I'm willing to wait. I'm not passing any judgement until I see and/or play the full package. I wasn't interested in the current generation until I actually played one of the things.

Besides, the case doesnt bother me. My old PSx spent the last 2 years of its life with a broken shell and half of its innards hanging out, yet I still loved and played it.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
MikeWehner said:
"I understand that frustration but frankly, a box is a box. Is that really the most important thing?," Gara explained to Videogamer. "So what? It's much more important to see what the damn thing does. The shiniest piece of black, green or purple plastic ever, you know, whatever, so what? It's not the most important thing."
Cool... So the box is not that big of a thing? Then where is it? If it does not matter then why do you care if we see it? Or does it matter and you are not done picking what it should look like yet? If it does not matter if you make a terrible choice in design then you can just change it later.... Or maybe you are just full of s**t.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
ViciousTide said:
I am very concerned about the battery life of these LED screen controllers. Smartphones need recharged every day, i guess these controllers will need the same to operate.
They are touch pad controllers there is no display screen on them, think the back of the Vita on the front of the controller. So about what a PS3 one does I bet, unless the game you are playing uses all touch pad.

Side note you said that and I thought of the Dreamcast controller.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Shame what has been shown on screen has been useless pandering. Nothing reaffirms the idea of "same shit, new console" like sequels being pumped out like no tomorrow on the new console and maybe very few new brand names. Pretty things are well and good, but I want to see performance and I want to see what new things it can offer.

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
while he has a point, what kind of expo would you go to if you dont show us the main atraction?

sure it may not have its final design yet but having it look like a black box and somebody playing one of the new ps4 games would have much bigger impact than their 40 mins about that whole new share feature.

If i was going to a car expo, where they were about show a new car, i would pretty much hate if the only thing that they actualy showed was the tires(controlers) not even some concept art of the car(console).

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I hear the box is going to be black and maybe rectangle, roundish.
--
I guess it is weird not seeing the box, but I didn't expect to see everything about PS4 at the event.

But I kind of like the design of the controller so I'm sure the box won't be that ugly.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
The game selection is all I really care about (and backwards compatibility, but I suppose that fits under "game selection"). I get new consoles to play games. I have other hardware for everything else. I'm not much of an online social gamer, so most of the new features would be useless to me.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Though I haven't much interest in the ps4 due to understandable compatibility reasons I would have liked to know the footprint of the console, hell a shoebox and them saying this will be about the size of the ps4 would do. These things do take up shelf space and I would like to know how much space that is. Also I would say insulting your potential consumers isn't the best way to get them onboard for a new console.

Captcha: vicious cycle
(hmm, how appropriate)

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Eggsnham said:
I'm personally more irritated that they're releasing next-gen consoles in the first place, we haven't even reached the pinnacle of what the current generation machines can do, do we really need another batch of consoles to replace the current ones?

Like the saying goes; If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Err the PS3 and Xbox 360 are painfully obsolete, yes they will be playable with new games for a few years, maybe, but that's it. Don't forget Sony will keep the PS3 being made like the PS2, they want to bring the PS4 out while the 3 has some life left in it to give enough of a transition period for their consumers to convert over before its abandoned. I'd also like to note, my smart phone has more ram then them. That's a disgrace for a current gaming system.