Please, Film These Games!

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Sex Rex said:
Did you see the fake movie trailer right above you? Just saying.
Yes I did and still it doesn't convince me. Again it all goes down to Link not being an interesting protagonist. Everyone else in the trailer was more interesting than your lead which causes problems. You care more about the extra's and the supporting cast than your lead... which means you don't ever feel threat for your main character. This works in video game world because you dying means you have to go back to a checkpoint or load the games... So you do feel threat. However in movie world... Your not interested, he's emotionless, he hasn't given you reason to care for him.

Silent characters can work in movies and even have you caring a lot for them... Tinkerbell and Gromit are good examples. However they both share a common trait... They aren't the lead... They don't work well as leads. Gromit could pull it off, only that's because we've familiarised with him over the series so we can see his emotions and his reactions... We know his personality. However the same can't be said for Link because we've never felt a personality, due to the limits of the games, we've never experienced his emotions and we don't know what his personality is like, we only know the personality we give him.

Zero-Vash

Apr 1, 2009
I completely agree with a well done Zelda movie. All you need are a few key elements, the rest is pretty much have Link cut his way to a show down for the princess.

They just have to not take any inspiration from the TV show

Blasphemous Rex

Better Than You
Jul 26, 2009
Sovvolf said:
Yes I did and still it doesn't convince me. Again it all goes down to Link not being an interesting protagonist. Everyone else in the trailer was more interesting than your lead which causes problems. You care more about the extra's and the supporting cast than your lead... which means you don't ever feel threat for your main character. This works in video game world because you dying means you have to go back to a checkpoint or load the games... So you do feel threat. However in movie world... Your not interested, he's emotionless, he hasn't given you reason to care for him.

Silent characters can work in movies and even have you caring a lot for them... Tinkerbell and Gromit are good examples. However they both share a common trait... They aren't the lead... They don't work well as leads. Gromit could pull it off, only that's because we've familiarised with him over the series so we can see his emotions and his reactions... We know his personality. However the same can't be said for Link because we've never felt a personality, due to the limits of the games, we've never experienced his emotions and we don't know what his personality is like, we only know the personality we give him.
As a trailer for something that doesn't even exist, it's pretty well done. Link probably wouldn't be a silent protagonist in the real thing, but keep in mind this was also a joke. They were playing on everything they could get from the game. If they were to actually make the movie, I fully agree that he would need a voice, but this only proves that a plot can in fact be made from the Zelda franchise and still make sense. I would love to see that movie.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
MovieBob said:
So which games does MovieBob want to see as movies?
I think you missed an excellent possibility in your list, Arcanum. It has a great backstory, rife with racism and a society in flux. Also, you could put whoever you want in the role of a main character because the player was given a choice at the start of the game. I know Wizards has already delved into the whole technology vs. magic thing, but I'd argue at best it has a purely cult appeal, and it worst it's just strange and unsettling to watch.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Most of those games just wouldn't work no matter how hard you tried to make a decent movie based on them. You can only make movies out of story driven games and maybe Mortal Kombat if done right.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Sex Rex said:
As a trailer for something that doesn't even exist, it's pretty well done. Link probably wouldn't be a silent protagonist in the real thing, but keep in mind this was also a joke. They were playing on everything they could get from the game. If they were to actually make the movie, I fully agree that he would need a voice, but this only proves that a plot can in fact be made from the Zelda franchise and still make sense. I would love to see that movie.
I haven't got a word against the trailer. I do agree it was well made and I enjoyed it... The trailer had a undeniable but enjoyable cheesiness to it with being a joke but I still liked it.
The problem with giving him a voice is that it would split the fanbase in two. Angry shouts and flamewars all over the place over it. I would like to see a Legend of Zelda movie... I've go nothing against the series and it's one of the games from my child hood I greatly enjoyed. The problem is that they'd need to change a good amount of the story and character in order to get the movie to work.

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
Chrono trigger, damn i love that game... It would be epic if they stuck to the story. Though I think it would make a better series then a single movie, perhaps get the Ghost in the Shell crew to tackle the project?
(leaves to dig up ps1 version of chrono trigger and play again)

Cuddly Knife

May 20, 2009
As for the Mario movie, why can't Mario just be a plumber in the Mushroom Kingdom? Surely they have crappers there too? That would be a good way to start the movie, with Mario and Luigi being down on their luck with their plumber biz, then they get a call to the castle because the Princess has bubble guts or something, and the rest of the movie writes itself.

ahpuch

Mar 19, 2009
Wow, most of those choices seem like a teenage fanboy wishes and not a reasonable idea for a film from someone who appreciates film as its own art form. I mean, Mario, Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Mega Man? What could a movie do with those that is really better than just playing the game?

Not to mention that any property based on those franchises would be driven by a team of marketing consultants that would destroy the script in an attempt to get every reference in for every fan. It would be like jumping straight to the 4th sequel of a movie. No thanks.

Perhaps a smaller game without a company like Nindendo, Sega, or Sony behind it could work. Someone earlier mentioned Thief, I would second that as it has an actual story and a character. Could be a great noir action flick ala Dark City.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
F-I-D-O said:
Fbuh said:
With Disney now owning Marvel, I can finally see Wolverine and Mickey Mouse team up with Cloud to fight Davy Jones. Wouldn't that make an awesome movie? I definitely agree with the Chrono Trigger bit. It is undoubtedly the best JRPG ever, and it needs some sort of commemoration.
I don't want to see a Chrono Trigger movie.
It would work well as a series, but there is to much raw awesome in the game for one movie. The hard part would be where to stop it...
Maybe the third movie would end when
Don't click this if you haven't played the game
I mean it...
warned you
When Chrono dies
But I don't know where else to cut it off....
How about the first or second movie ends when:
They defeat Magus.
The problem I see is the ending. It seems hard to make a dramatic showdown with:
A man in an underwater suit.
Then there's:
What ending to choose, and if they're gonna include the side plots, like:
- Lucca's time travel back to the death of her mother
- Robo meeting it's creator
- Frog meeting Cyrus (and also if he'll turn back into ordinary Glenn)
- Marle's confrontation with her father
- Chrono's revival
- Magus joining the party

Also, who's gonna play Chrono!?

Cheefa_Da_Reefa

Jun 18, 2010
Mstrswrd said:
Falseprophet said:
where vampires are monsters, end of story...
Alucard is a Dhampire (half Vampire, half human), thank you very much.

Plus, making him evil kind of does exactly what we always hate when games become movies. They change characters from one thing to another.

I wouldn't even want him in the movie, since he wasn't in the first Castlevania at all, and if we're adapting the first Castlevania, well, you get it.

If, by some odd chance, they did place him in, he would probably be better as an ultimately neutral party, because that's what his character tends to be. He tends to leave the vampire/monster slaying up to the Belmonts and allied clans, and stays out of it (usually, he sleeps). Only occasionaly does he join in (he's been in, what, 4 games out of the 20 or so that took place from Castlevania 3 onwards?)

Really, though, if the movie was made, and it did well, they should follow the games. 1st movie, just Simon. Second movie, Simon again. 3rd movie, Simon, Alucard, the other two I never use.

Yeah, that.

Also, if I was rude, I apologize.
i really think if they make a castlevania movie it would be based on the reboot of the series aka cv:lord of shadows

sadly :( i would love to see simon kick some ass but when they messed up the nemesis i quit hoping for a good game movie

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Boy have I been looking forward to this!

Red Dead Redemption: Since Johan Hex sort of copped out on the whole "realistic girtty western" deal, it WOULD be nice to see something like that again.

Dragon Quest: I have actually never played any of the Dragon Quest games, but I think the slimes are cute. I don't know how they'd make it into a movie, though, with the slimes.

Castlevania: Wasn't there supposed to be a Castlevania movie in the works but kept getting shit-canned? I wish they'd follow through with it.

Gears of War: ...Meh.

Street Fighter & Mortal Kombat: NOT like the original movies, something COMPLETELY different, please.

Bayonetta: I'm with MovieBob on this, if they actually FIND someone who looks like her... Ugh.

Chrono Trigger: HELL YEAH, that would be SO awesome!!!

Mass Effect: Maybe, I never played the game, so...

Final Fight: A live action Mike Haggar? Well, first they'd have to make sure it follows the plot of the game, before I willingly give my money away.

Kingdom Hearts: ...Maybe, I guess...

Ninja Gaiden: Eh, sure.

The Legend of Zelda: I remember you commenting on a live-action LoZ, with either Robert Pattinson or Will Smith as Link... And really, I think that might be who they go with, which basically means "DO NOT WANT" for me.

Metroid: Again, I heard rumors of a Metroid movie, with Kraig in it and Ridley, too. Haven't heard anything else since then, though. Still, it'd be awesome and I'd definitely check it out.

Mega Man: I haven't seen the fan-made movie yet, but I don't really want to. If made in the style of the Astro Boy movie, I'd definitely give it a go.

EarthBound: Funny, I remember seeing a movie in the works called "EarthBound" and I thought it was a film adaption, only to realize the movie had nothing to do with the game at all... Oops. But I don't know if a live-action adaption would do the story well, nor would I think Hollywood would do a good job at making a good movie adaption for it, so the jury is out on this one.

Mario: ...Yeah, you've got a point! If they can do that how-hum Alice and Wonderland movie, I can't see why they can't make a GOOD Super Mario Bros. movie!

Good suggestions, good reasoning, must spread the word!!!

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
shadyh8er said:
I'm sorry...Bayonetta? That game with the incomprehensible plot and horrible dialog? Are you feeling ok MovieBob?
Well, it is already made like something Uwe Boll would do, so I guess that means he can't fuck it up anymore than it is?

Danallighieri

Jun 3, 2010
Hmm a kingdom hearts movie... they'd bugger up the casting of sora and co probably, unless it was entirely in CG, in which case summon forth the kingdom hearts movie!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Irridium said:
RanD00M said:
There is one major problem with making a Mass Effect movie.Shepard.Now if you make a male lead in the movie,I and most likely a lot of other people will be disappointed.And if you have a male lead,then someone who isn't me will be happy.
Now there are also the big plot choices that you make that you have to take into account.If you make the Shepard paragon,a lot,and I mean A LOT of people will be pissed.And vice versa.
Now I have a partial solution to all of this.Make the movies Animated.Make 4 of them.And make them appeal to everyone.One is Male/Paragon,another one is Female/Paragon...Ahh you get the point.
Now having it animated would also mean that we could keep the original voice actors.And I think that it would be a treat for almost everyone.

And I would love to see a Kingdom Hearts movie.But I would also have to see it animated.Because of the voice in the games.

Yes,voice acting is a big part for me.And I hate it when characters get new voices out of the blue.
Like I said above, they don't need to do Shepard's story. First Contact would make a decent movie on its own.
Agreed, First Contact war makes a great story.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
RanD00M said:
There is one major problem with making a Mass Effect movie.Shepard.Now if you make a male lead in the movie,I and most likely a lot of other people will be disappointed.And if you have a male lead,then someone who isn't me will be happy.
Now there are also the big plot choices that you make that you have to take into account.If you make the Shepard paragon,a lot,and I mean A LOT of people will be pissed.And vice versa.
Now I have a partial solution to all of this.Make the movies Animated.Make 4 of them.And make them appeal to everyone.One is Male/Paragon,another one is Female/Paragon...Ahh you get the point.
Now having it animated would also mean that we could keep the original voice actors.And I think that it would be a treat for almost everyone.
Why does it have to be about Shepard? It could be a background to one of Shepard's crew or even a completely new character. What would you say to that idea?

[edit]

just noticed to post above me say pretty the much same thing, sorry =(

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Anyone think a Bioshock movie would be good? I just noticed that it wasnt on the list and thought I would throw that out there.

P.S.
Sorry for double post

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Earthbound and its sequel have such good well-themed stories with a lot going on. If someone translated them into book or movie form I'd be there in a heartbeat. I think the problem with them and Hollywood, though, is that they're *weird*. I mean, a group of kids fighting blobs of puke, animated objects, aliens, and even crazed animals with baseball bats, frying pans, pop guns and bottle rockets, bolstered by psychic powers. A lot goes on that isn't shown on-screen, too.

Anyway, I think games make more sense to be chronicled as a TV miniseries than a movie. They're paced very similarly, I'd say.

pearsmb06

Nov 11, 2009
I'm very sorry but these suggestions are mostly terrible.

I don't really understand why people WANT to turn video games into movies. I understand it from Hollywood's point of view, after all they've pretty much abandoned original ideas in favor of licenses that they can market. But from the gamers perspective, I don't get it. What do you hope to get? Most of these games do not have very good stories, do not have good characters and many don't even have especially original settings. So why bother making a movie of it?

What do you expect with a Zelda movie? The games don't really have any story or characters to adapted. The best you're going to get is a mediocre (if you're lucky) save-the-princess-and-beat-the-bad-guy affair with references sprinkled in.

And I promise you, every single game on the "please don't film these games" list would make a better movie than another Mario attempt would.