Please Stop Making Me Hate The Simpsons

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Elizabeth Grunewald said:

Explain to me why everything good gets canceled, and the now-unfunny Simpsons marches on.

Read Full Article
Since Fox still has three seasons to apologize for, I give you the show that someone should be smacked in the head for cancelling:

Titus.

This show, that so many seem to have missed, had three seasons of comedy excellence. It was evil, raw, honest and outright hilarious. It didn't pull any punches ("Of course Erin can get pretty angry. She's got that Irish temper. But, she's Northern Irish, so we don't fight, she just puts a bomb in my car.") and offended everybody ("You built me a cop magnet! I might as well be a black guy driving a large powdered doughnut!"). But damn it, it was hilarious while doing so.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
An article after my own heart. But, I also think that the shows' short runs are what gave them their charm (especially AD). If you ran any of these series for 22 years, it would stagnate like The Simpsons. Granted, I think a little more couldn't have hurt (which we've found true with Futurama).

Although, I have to be that guy and point out that, in your section about The Critic, you misplaced Penny and Alice Tompkins. Although both poor, Alice is the mother and Jay's love interest. Would have been a little creepy if he was going out with a toddler. Although props on the Duke clip. Probably one of my favorite jokes from the series. Also, Shatoshi, the eater of souls.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
And yet it's still funnier than Famil... Okay, sorry, this is not the place ;)

I'm not gonna cry or rage over Arrested Development. I still regard it as the funniest sitcom ever made. Sure, it's non-episodic, fractured narrative made it kind of hard to follow if you weren't into it, but that's why it was so fun. It allowed it to hail down jokes while not having to dedicate too much time of each individual episode to story and character development. I have watched through it three times by now and I still find jokes I missed the previous times.

But three seasons is enough. It ran long enough to satisfy and it didn't outstay it's welcome, and considering how some of the season 3 episodes fell kind of flat, maybe three seasons were just enough.

Firefly is a completely different story. That I will never, ever, ever be okay with. Ever.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
I remember when the Simpsons was the highlight of my week. Then Family guy came along and ripped it off and got better reviews.

The creators of the Simpsons saw this and ripped off family guy. It's gone like this back and forth for what? Almost a decade now. So much potential wasted on these two pieces of dribble.

Great article, by the way. Nice to know that I'm not the only one who remembers these shows fondly.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
Worst Simpsons episode of all time has to be Lisa the Drama Queen. At least with most Simpsons episodes I can get a laugh or two out of them. This one, I didn't laugh once. I just was debating whether or not my TV should be ritualistically cleansed with fire for having displayed such garbage.

And I agree The Critic and Firefly both should have gotten much longer runs.

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
While I agree that The Simpsons should probably be cancelled, I really don't want it be.
It's the last part of my childhood thats still on TV

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Arrested Development's mistreatment is a crying shame. Truly one of the best written shows ever made and had it gone for even four full seasons instead of two and a half, the world would have been much better served.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
I really miss The Tick...thanks for reminding me. Futurama is back and I never cared for any of those other shows...how about Greg the Bunny!?
Are we talking Unhappily Ever After?

May 17, 2010
I'm afraid that I'm not too sympathetic here, televison is a buisness, Fox would eb bad if they weren't to try and maximise profits. Now they do make bad choices but I never bought the argument that they were a corperation that took notes from Umbrella.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
While they're at it, kill Family Guy too. That show hasn't made an actual joke since season 3.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
I hope there is a special hell for the idiot(s) responsible for the cancellation of Firefly and Futurama...
Now as for the Simpsons...it's become a Family Guy knock off, Homer and Bart in particular. It's not a bad thing by itself, but when you compare today's episodes to the earlier seasons, you'll see a stark contrast, both in tone and in quality. That being said, a good thing gets excellent if it has time to mature and then dies in a dignified manner. Firefly never had that chance, so I'll write it off as a tragic victim for some producer's inbred family background. Had the Simpsons been canceled after, say season 12, would you have been happy? Sure, if there had been a lovely series finale, something like Lisa's wedding, only with a real ending. Anyway, let's just kill the Simpson now. Zombies aren't fun to have around, cuz they smell...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Season twenty-two of The Simpsons seems to to be better than the last couple of seasons. Firefly was an excellent show and I was sad that it had gotten canceled. Arrested Development seemed like a pretty good show as well.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Krakyn said:
Wow, that was a big pile of bitterness and self-importance. Reminds me of my ex.
Of course it was bitter. Fox continues to cut shows that aren't just great because Elizabeth Grunewald says so, but because not only a mass of people, but many critics and even those silly award givers. If a local pizza shop keeps giving you the some of the best pizza in the country and then two bites in, replaces it with Mama Celeste, you'd be pretty bitter too.

I don't see how it's full of self-importance. This is an editorial piece and is obviously an opinion. However, she's right. Anyone who has watched the Simpsons, knows that it has gone severely downhill. The only reason it stays on is because it's safe. Instead of screwing over shows that are critically acclaimed, Fox should take more of a chance and let these shows flourish. Many of them might and probably would have passed the Simpsons in ratings. Family Guy is a perfect example. It has ratings much better than the Simpsons. The show got screwed over by Fox, only to be brought back and moved into a correct time slot.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Ah what a well written informative article.

I fully agree: if during the glory days The Simpsons was a stallion, it is now but a cardboard box, a toilet tube - with misshapen eyes proudly displayed on the sides - and the word 'Horse' written on the side, with the 'S' the wrong way around. A crying shame.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Sadly, the way it works is that if 5 million people LOVE a show, and 8 million people think another show is '...alright I s'pose', to the network, the latter show is better, it's getting 8 million vaguely distracted viewers. It just seems to be better business sense to churn out inoffensive mediocrity than bother to make something awe inspiring that might not appeal to the widest demographic.

Hence, cheap and simple reality shows that even pay for themselves with premium rate vote lines, where drama and comedy used to be.

Dutchie_Diatribe

Apr 15, 2009
Trucken said:
Elizabeth Grunewald said:

Explain to me why everything good gets canceled, and the now-unfunny Simpsons marches on.

Read Full Article
Since Fox still has three seasons to apologize for, I give you the show that someone should be smacked in the head for cancelling:

Titus.

This show, that so many seem to have missed, had three seasons of comedy excellence. It was evil, raw, honest and outright hilarious. It didn't pull any punches ("Of course Erin can get pretty angry. She's got that Irish temper. But, she's Northern Irish, so we don't fight, she just puts a bomb in my car.") and offended everybody ("You built me a cop magnet! I might as well be a black guy driving a large powdered doughnut!"). But damn it, it was hilarious while doing so.
This ^ I freaking loved this show does anyone know if it's out on dvd?

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
Arrested Development was the greatest show on television...i don't care what you have to say about that...that show was pure brilliance...i guess not everything that glitters is gold...but as long as its yellow you can continue to air it for 22 seasons...

that being said...i hate the simpsons...never liked it never will...

flame shield raised...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think your misunderstanding the influance of the mainstream on TV. The Simspons might seem unfunny to you after all this time, but then agin your here on "The Escapist". Odddly I think you overestimate the everyman. Ask yourself how things like Pro-Wrestling continue on, and they have been around longer than "The Simpsons".

"The Simpsons" is one of those rare productions that hits solidly in that 'sweet spot' for the everyman. It's simple, uncomplicated, and can make your typical person chuckle and think themselves clever. It takes someone outside the mainstream to really look at it and go "you know this is really pretty insipid".

On top of that the series has become iconic. "The Simpsons" have spawned a merchandising empire and become as well known as Disney characters and the like. What's more you'll notice that "Universal Studios" has a pretty substantial ride and an area built up around it as one of their attractions to compete with Disney.

I'd imagine the show gets automatically green lit because it rakes in tons of dough. What's more it's doubtlessly seen as being "safe" territory for advertisers and has decent guaranteed viewership, and thus represents prime advertising real estate.

You really can't critique Fox for going where the money is, when most of the shows mentioned really didn't have that large of a mainstream following as far as I can tell.

"Firefly" is perhaps the one exception there, as I think that one was pretty heavily followed due to it following the the coattails of "Buffy". The issue wasn't one where I think the show got nailed because of the show, or the audience, it was because of Joss Whedon himself who was supposed to have been in fights over creative control of his own productions.

Back when this was current I remember reading allegations that the big reason why the last season of Buffy was lacking was because Jos was having the network dictate to him what he was going to do, and forcing him to insert characters for the sake of political correctness. Apparently a few of the potential slayers wound up getting forced in by network executives and he was forced to write things to give them "X" amount of screen time. The arguements being that Buffy was "too whitewashed" and they needed to put more minorities into the show. According to rumors the whole bit with the principal being a demon slayer (and the whole sub plot leading to his fight with Spike) was also the result of forced insertation. The whole season being a "design by politically correct committee" affair.

While "Firefly" was hardly whitewashed, and had exactly the people Joss wanted in it, apparently his reputation in the industry was so bad both from "Buffy" and "Angel" and he was seen as such an uncontrollable force, that he was pretty much slated for the axe, the following he could garner, and the amount of money he could make, being irrelevent since the powers that were couldn't deal with having someone involved who was getting away being bigger than the networks.

Whie Sci-Fi Channel briefly considered picking up "Angel" and claimed they wouldn't do it as a bad business move, due to having to compete with their own show's previous episodes in syndication on other networks, allegedly they didn't want to deal with him either.

That's all rumor and supposition of course, since nobody knows much about what actually happened. While the details might be off, I did definatly get the vibe that his name was mush with the networks and that is why his shows were killed.