Please Stop Making Me Hate The Simpsons

Apr 28, 2008
Duffeknol said:
While they're at it, kill Family Guy too. That show hasn't made an actual joke since season 3.
They did kill it. Then they brought it back using dark magic.

I agree though, season 3 was the point where Family Guy stopped being funny. There were bright spots, but they're few and far between.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
"I watched the series, and laughed loud and heartily, and you must have heard me, because you canceled it. " - regarding Futurama. This phrase made me laugh through my nose and it hurts but thank you.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
To be fair the run of the Simpsons had little or nothing to do with the status of these shows. It's mostly ratings driven. Although it's fair to note that Fox screwed up in the scheduling of Futurama and Firefly.

Firefly and Futurama are the only two on there that were really good, and were mistreated. The Critic was ok but had it's run on Fox and ABC. Arrested Development was the most overrated piece of crap I've ever seen and the Tick just plain sucked.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
This reminds me of a scene in John Birmingham's 'Axis of Time' trilogy, about a bunch of naval ships from 2024 that get sent back in time to 1942. Someone asks a character what they're got saved from the future, and she replies 'all three decades of the Simpsons. Yeah, I'm regretting that now.' or something like that. Of course, this is also the universe where Pearl Harbor 2: Back on the Beaches was made, so maybe its some kind of reality where horrible tv and movies last way too long.

Nurb said:
The show ended for me when Marge got buff and raped Homer.
I love how the rape of a man played for laughs is completely fine, but if anyone ever tried to do that with a woman there'd be hell to pay.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I can admit that the Simpsons have been around for probably a bit too long. Sometimes it feels like the episodes have gotten a little stale. However, a show that has pretty much done everything will feel like that after awhile.

And while I don't find the Simpsons to be as funny anymore, I still love the show. When I watch Family Guy/American Dad/Cleveland Show, I occasionally say to myself, "Why am I watching this?"

Then I turn on the Simpsons and tend to like it more. Course, thats my own personal thing.

Though I am in agreement that there are shows on Fox that really shouldn't have been cancelled. I really loved that show Drive. The show only aired 4(though I think there was more, but only online for some reason) episodes, and the schedule kept getting moved around. A shame, cause I heard they had the whole season planned out and everything.

I'm a little worried about Fringe because its getting moved to the Friday night slot if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully everything will be ok.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, caught an episode of Simpsons last year and was horrified by how flat it fell, compared to what I was watching whilst at school. Nothing really amusing, characters that were two dimensional and seemed to just be delivering on a cliched script - I guess that's what happens when you go nowhere after so many seasons :/

PS. Bring back Firefly !m!(-.-)!m!

josephmatthew10

Jun 24, 2010
I still think the Simpsons has had some good recent episodes; for me the quality is pretty unpredictable. I'm glad they brought Futurama back, though; it IS more consistently funny.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
Everyone, start watching Community. AWESOME show.
Here's a couple examples, these are just from short skits they do at the end of the episodes, usually completely unrelated to anything.
(yes, that's Chevy Chase :D)
Some of the characters on that show are just the weirdest mix of funny and pure annoying though. Most of them have really weak singing voices, and a lot of the jokes fall flat. It's largely made up for by some really good deliveries once and awhile though. And Chevy Chase is hilarious in it with his subconscious racism and homophobia.

Lexxi64

Aug 10, 2010
Wow, pal, seems like you know you won't ever like it, why ask anyone to try and explain the good points?! If you don't like it, tough, really. Don't watch it.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Spoiler'd to avoid my "Wall of text" syndrome.

Ok. I will say this about the simpsons. It has evolved as its demographic has matured. Its moved through stages through the years, Such as starting off as the brash upstart when it began to the snarky punk about halfway through, to a more heartwarming sitcom in recent years. Following along with the age of the demographic that started it. Its perhaps the most logical progession of a TV series I have ever seen. Sure, its days of being leader of the pack or cutting edge are long gone, but it has its place and it fills the role it has now carved out for itself. So I firmly feel that the show is just fine as it is for right now, and it not being canceled is completely justified.

What I dont feel is justified will likely start a lynch mob. Please keep in mind this is only the opinion of one wingnut, I respect that there are an abundance of people who dont agree with it, I dont expect anyone to accept my opinion as truth.

What I dont feel as justified is the complete and utter reverence Arrested Development and Firefly have. Ill grant you Firefly was a decent show, one which at least merited the Film Serenity to at least try to properly end the series, and it is arguable it was ended prematurely. But it really wasnt the revelation that people have made it out to be. Its ok, it wasnt great. It was cancelled simply due to lack of support in ratings. Its a harsh beast, but until there is a better system, its the only one weve got.

Arrested Development however completely and utterly deserved its fate. The shows initial ratings were deplorable. It doesnt matter how much the critics and the cult adored it. In the greater scheme of things people didnt watch it. Now usually I have no faith in humanity, but this is one of the very few instances I can recall where the mob got it right. This whole notion of Anti humor is exactly that. Its the opposite of humor. A comedy that isnt funny really has no point to exist. Much like Curb your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld to a lesser extent, Or the more Recent Louie, these "comedys" make little or no jokes. The humor is derived from failure in communication and akwardness. Its not some high brow expectation that the mob doesnt get, its more that the average person has a little more class than to laugh at the mentally handicapped kid, which honestly from everything I saw in both seasons of Arrested development is what the humor invariably always devolved into.

I say, leave the simpsons alone. Honestly, in the scheme of things compared to the remainder of Fox' line up, At least its something with tangible narrative, instead of 7/12 hours of programming being devoted to reality in some form or another. I would put the Simpsons up against practically anything available on the 4 major networks and find it more enjoyable and I suspect Im not the only one, Just perhaps the only one who happens to post here.

I do also second the notion of Community being one of the funniest shows ive seen in a while.That and Alison Bries char is cute enough to make ones head spontaneously explode.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
I don't mind that The simpsons are still being aired... but I'm sad and angry that Firefly didn't get the chance it deserved to get.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
If Fox actually comes out and apologizes for axing a hilariously brilliant and original show like The Tick, I might sum up the strength to forgive them for ruining The Simpsons.

However, nothing will save ABC from my wrath for the two episode airing and subsequent cancellation of one the greatest shows of all time.

Seriously.

All six episodes of Clerks: The Animated Series MURDER pretty much everything The Simpsons, Family Guy, and American Dad have to offer.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Ah it's about time someone said it! Note to the TV producers out there. Don't go to fox to make your shows

-M

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
I have to disagree. The Simpsons has been rather fantastic lately. And I fear that when the Simpsons is finally cancelled or just goes off tv, Fox sundays will turn into the Seth Macfarlane night. And I generally find his stuff to be just awful. Except Roger on American Dad. Roger is amazing. But I can't deal with anymore of Brian's bullshit grand standing, the complicate political issues being shown as a simple problem with liberalism ALWAYS being the best answer and anything questioning that to be evil and stupid. And the Cleveland Show is just sooooo bad.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
To be honest, I haven't seen "The Simpsons" in years, as I got fed up of the constant reruns. I did go over to a friends and caught a newer episode and all I thought was "meh". I have never really that big of a fan of "The Simpsons" either. I prefer "Aqua teen hunger force", "Harvey Birdman: Attorney at law" and "Robot chicken".

I never really liked "Firefly" either. I watched the box set as a friend of mine had it on when I came over to visit and I couldn't really get into it, which my friend found funny as I can happily watch both seasons of "Twin peaks" back to back with no complaints. It's my second favourite show of all time after "Law & Order: Criminal intent"

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
After page 2 I realised how many pages there were and said "so when is FireFly *click* oh there we go" Im not a big fan, unlike my sis (yes I know you love Fillion now stop telling me how you would, errrrrggggg), but what little ive seen has been really good, gotta love Jeyne.

Futurama on the other hand, I own every episode/movie and can watch for hours on end, that show my friends IS EPIC.

"Jurrassic Bark" and "The Sting" were unbelievably heart wrenching and the scene where Bender gives his first born to the Robot Devil in "The Beast with a Billion Backs" is in my top 5 hardest laughs on TV.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Simpsons is not going to go away until the show stops making Fox money. The show has generated close to 3 billion dollars in the last 20 years.

As for Firefly, I'm glad its gone. I've seen all the episodes in supposedly the correct viewing order and I do not see the big fucking deal behind it. The plot suffers the same problems that all of Whedon's series have: He does not know where he wants to go in the series until episode 7 or 8. He spends that long fumbling around in the dark exploring different tangents until then. After that, the plot progression is rushed. He does not know how to pace his shows in an even manner.

Also, the dialog is not clever. It is basically what Tom Servo, Cambot, Crow, and Joel Hodgson would say to the movie on MST3K. Interesting, yeah. Funny, Not really. Clever, Absolutely not.