Please type your accent phonetically

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Most of us have one, even if mine is the boring American no real accent (think Movie Bob show voice).

Now what shall we all type? Feel free to add any of your common saying to the list.

I fucking love you man.
I fuckin love you man.

It is likely this will not work out.

One saying of your choice to show your accent in all its glory.
Well I am in the southwest so I feel it is my duty to include at least one YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHA!

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
The Pacific Northwest is essentially made up of people with lazy newscaster accents. We could put in the effort to sound right, but it's easier to drop off significant parts of words.

I fuckin love you man

Es likely this ull not work out

I would like a double chocolate mocha frappachino.

The last one is always said without any shortcuts or mistakes. We take our ridiculous coffees seriously here.

Edit- Also, a sentence to show just how lazy I can get.
I unna o eht eh car.

Edit2-note, this is my accent brought to an extreme. Normally it would not be this bad, and most people from the Pacific Northwest can switch straight to Newscaster when they feel like it. The coffee thing is true though.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave

*speaks English in RP*

*wonders how to participate*

>_> ... <_< ...

'Standard RP' is the epitome of being accentless...

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I have my natural accent (Brummie), my affected one I get when I visit my family in Durham (Geordie - and really, it just sets in after about a day there) and my regular RP-esque one that has come about from my accent being tempered by a life away from my homes and living with a variety of people with normal voices.

Anyway, my natural and sometimes worringly strong Brummie sounds like this:

Oi fucken luv yaow mate

S'not gunna work aout mate

Y'orrright, our kid? (yeah, roll those 'r's)

Yeah, there's a reason people here in Britain rate silence as sounding more attractive and more intelligent than a strong Birmingham accent.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
*Cracks knuckles* PREPARE YOURSELVES:

Ladies and gentleman, the West Country accent. Think maybe a cross between Eliza Doolittle and a pirate.

I fucking love you man.
Oi fucken luve yoo maan.

Is luikely this 'll no-ot wurk oowt.

Arigh my love? Whahs uup? Fahncy goain aht for a quick piynt?

Man, typing how you sound it difficult. that probably reads totally wrong.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I'm a Scouser, if I typed out exactly how I talk it would look odd.

I can't properly convey phlegm in words.

Erja_Perttu said:
*Cracks knuckles* PREPARE YOURSELVES:

Ladies and gentleman, the West Country accent. Think maybe a cross between Eliza Doolittle and a pirate.

I fucking love you man.
Oi fucken luve yoo maan.

Is luikely this 'll no-ot wurk oowt.

Arigh my love? Whahs uup? Fahncy goain aht for a quick piynt?

Man, typing how you sound it difficult. that probably reads totally wrong.
GERROF MOI LAAAAND.

Sorry, couldn't help it. My wifes from Blagdon in Somerset and talks like a posh farmer .... it's quite amusing.

Mar 26, 2008
Speaking in my urban Victorian Australian accent I'll give it a shot:

I fucken luv ya mate

It's likely this won't wurk out

Yeah, nar, that's not gonna happen mate

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
Why not:
-I fuckin' luhv yo' (not as a "yo" but an abbreviated "you") mayn.
-idt (read the below) is likely this'll nodt work ou' (the "t" is very faint, if there at all)
-"I'm a fayn of duh balduhmo' rayvens"

Hard syllables/sounds at the end of a word (usually before another word) are "touched on" but not really pronounced. If I was going to say "bad ass" I'd say "bah", move my tongue as if to pronounce the "d", but put no power behind it and run it together; "ba'as".
2fish said:
Most of us have one, even if mine is the boring American no real accent (think Movie Bob show voice).
The "boring American accent" is characterized by not being able to differentiate between "t"s and "d"s such as in the words metal and medal. It's hard to realize that you do it because you don't think of it.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
yeti585 said:
2fish said:
The "boring American accent" is characterized by not being able to differentiate between "t"s and "d"s such as in the words metal and medal. It's hard to realize that you do it because you don't think of it.
It is true that my Ds and Ts do swap as they please but they are not consistent about it. Since I am not consistent about it I have trouble showing it in this form. I think I would be "It's medal!" versus "It's metal.". But now I show how sad my accent is as all I get to do is swap a few Ts and Ds when the context is right. Woe is me.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
2fish said:
It is true that my Ds and Ts do swap as they please but they are not consistent about it. Since I am not consistent about it I have trouble showing it in this form. I think I would be "It's medal!" versus "It's metal.". But now I show how sad my accent is as all I get to do is swap a few Ts and Ds when the context is right. Woe is me.
It's funny to go somewhere in the US where people have heavy accents and you don't. They give you the "what is wrong with you"/"U WOT M8" look.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Shropshire accent is pretty hard to do, bit I'll give it a shot. Just think farmer/ yokel and you're probably on the right track.

Ih fuckin' love yeh mon.

It's likely this wunna work out mon.

Alriiignt monn?! Ow bist? Bit cowd out innit, so chuck us tha' jacket, tidy mon!

Mon is a common term of endearment, as is monner, and shag. I have no idea why, but its pretty characteristic of Shropshire as far as I'm aware. We tend to elongate vowels and loose consonants. For example isn't becomes 'inna', can't becomes 'canna', don't becomes 'dunna', won't is 'wunna' etc. It sounds pretty bad in all honesty :p

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Mostly British RP, but the on the odd word my Northerness shine through.

ie. love=luv brilliant= brill yun' (as opposed to brill e ant)

Also, to be contentious its grass, not grarse, scon not scown and brew not 'cuppa'.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
its kind of hard to really convey...

hay there

I down't know wot yor talking about, don't evin lyke call of due-tee

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I can't really type mine out, especially since it actually varies from time to time. It has a south eastern British base but it's tinged with a French accent, which has generally become stronger over the past year and also becomes clearer when I enunciate my speech more and when I speak Portuguese (cos I almost treat it like I'm speaking French, but then again I've been taught it along a Brazilian accent so I have no true accurate idea how I really sound when speaking that). When I speak French I think it's pretty much cut down 50/50. I'm spoken to French people who thought I was completely British and they've asked me if I'm actually from France, but most French people would probably not assume I was French if they didn't know any better.

To some Brits my French accent is apparently really obvious but others barely notice it. It's a bit odd.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Oh, it actually sounds just about the same as I would be typing it. It's normally kind of an English one. I know, it's kind of dull.
Okay, I pronounce "t" the way it sounds in the word "typing" for example, but that's about it.

Sorry.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
i'm your generic, well spoken englishman, so i may as well type normally, but i'll put my casual twist on it.

1. i fuckin' love y' man!
2. Is likely this ain't gonna wr'k out
3. OI, mike! how 'about a pint roun' th ol' plOW. 's on mee!

that's roughly what i sound like, call it what you will

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
My accent is Standard English with a hint of Devon. Or if I am doing my performance voice it's full on Devon colloquialisms. I will write both here:

Standard: I Facking love you man
Prahper Devon: Oi FaahKin Laav You Man!

Standard: It is likely this will not work out.
Prahper Devon: It is Loikely this will not work aaaaat

How a sensible person would say it on the phone: Hello my dear, where are you?
How a Devon Dumpling would say it: Aight Me Luvver, Where you Toooo?!?!

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Ah've gorra a Yawkshurr ak-sent.

... Well, not really, a lifetime spent on the move has given me a mostly yorkshire accent, with occasional words thrown in from other areas - I pronounce 'heard' as 'h'yerd' (as a Welsh person might), Door as Doo-er(As someone from Lancashire might), and I use the word 'Nae' instead of 'no' when saying things like "Nae dramas/worries/etc.", as a Scottish person would.

In short, I've a horrible bastardised accent.

Anyway, on topic:

1. Ah Fookin' luv thee man. (I fucking love you man)
2. T'int gonna werk aht. (This will not work out)
3. Heyup t'old cocker, how's thee? (Hello my friend, how are you?)