Please type your accent phonetically

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Able Seacat said:
Tis hard to write with an accent. I'm Welsh so I guess I sound a bit daft with a sing song voice.
Welsh accent is the best accent imo. Don't worry about it.

Me, I'm just standard British English. So boring...

White-Death

Oct 31, 2011
Hoo boy,I tend to really pronounce things properly,so I end up sounding like a Victorian Gentleman with a hnt of Ukranian.(Over pronouncing my Rs and pronouncing W like V,though not completely.)

Standard:Oi fockin'love ya maan.
Mine:I fucking luv you man.

Standard:Well,wanna gow out in de back for a fockin shift hey?
Mine:(Well,I would never say anything like that..)Hello,vould you mind coming out to the pub forr a pint or two on Saturrday?

Standard:A course ya Dopey bollicks.
Mine:Of Coarse You insufferrable vitless crretin.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
Terratina. said:
Able Seacat said:
Tis hard to write with an accent. I'm Welsh so I guess I sound a bit daft with a sing song voice.
Welsh accent is the best accent imo. Don't worry about it.

Me, I'm just standard British English. So boring...
Well at least you would be able to play the intelligent villain in a film. Who's going to be frightened of; 'I'm gonna get you boyo!'.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Well this is boring for me :/

I don't know how to write an american midwest accent (think standard american) phonetically

I fucking love you man
I fuckin love you man

It is likely this will not work out
It's likely this won't work out (I contract whenever I can)

Whatever I want? Whatever I want I guess
Whatever I want? Whatever I want I guess

You know what? Never mind. I'm in this thing

D-Class 198482

Jul 17, 2012
I fockin' lurve you, man.
S' likely this'll not work out.
ALL YE DANDIES PRANCIN' ABOOT WITH YER HEADS FULL'A EYEBALLLLSSSS
people wonder why I compare myself to Demoman when they can't hear me speak

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
- I fuckin' love ya man.

- I's likely this'ww no' work ou'.

- The fuck ya talkin' 'bout, ma'e? Ohw kick ya fuckin' teef in ya bellend!

I lived in a scummier part of Southwest/West Midlands England until a year ago, in case you couldn't figure it out. Best to stay away.

TheOtter

Ottertastic!
Feb 5, 2010
I'm not sure how to type out the oddities of Washington/BC. From my experience, we pronounce things concisely and quickly. I don't have any kind of "twang" but I do say "eh" and you hear "Whas dat aboot" sometimes (so do most people here). Boring accent, really.

Uzi-Bazooka

Jul 6, 2011
I come from a certain part of Kansas where nearly every vowel becomes "uh", and the survivors become "eh". We don't shorten words ("fucking" would never become "fuckin'"), in fact, we're likely to drag certain consonants out far longer than necessary.

"I fucking love you man"
BECOMES
"Ieh ffffuhkenng luhve yuh mmmen"

"It is likely this will not work out"
BECOMES
"Iut ius lieekly thehs wull nut wurk uht."

And this post's opening paragraph
BECOMES
"Ieh cuhme frum eh cehrtun pert uv Kehnnzus whure nurly evurhy vuhwehl behcuhmmes 'uh,' ehnd thuh survehvuhrs behcuhmme 'eh'. Wee dount sshhurthuhnn wurds ('fffuhkenng' wud nehvur behcuhme 'fuckin'), ehn ffffuct, wuh're liukleh tuh dreg cuhrtuhnnn cunsunnnunnnts out fffaur lungehr thunn nnnucussury."

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
As someone who grew up in east London raised by parents from (around) Worksop and Liverpool, i have none of the accents associated with those areas.

Ive been attempting to adopt the rather disused English gentlemans accent, but its not going as well as i expected.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Speaking to a non-Yorkshire person is usually hilarious.

"A fuckin' love ya man."

"Tis likely this will not work art."

And my own, any of these words get people who live away from me confused.

"Yalways want owt for nowt you. 'Ey up, stop faffing! you gotta do summert t' earn your money for yer flat caps an' Yorkshire puds. Ya gonna get brayed by your gaffer if you're not careful!"

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
Oh boy...how to do a Dutch Brabants accent in English?

I fucking love you man.

Aye Fokkin' lof ewe mon

It is likely this will not work out.

Iet is likulee thees will noat wurk oit

One saying of your choice to show your accent in all its glory.

Groetuhh oit Broabant, Kud! (Greetings from Brabant, you ****!)

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I really don't have much of an accent to speak of. The way I speak doesn't really have any of the typical Chicagoan hallmarks, which leaves me with this very neutral sounding midwestern accent. To my knowledge, I pronounce words the way they were designed to be said in American English. The closest thing I can think of is how I mush my words together when I'm tired, creating an almost slurred accent.

so: uh fuckin' love yew man.

I don' think this 's gunnah work out

wiw yew ge' over here?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Rawne1980 said:
I'm a Scouser, if I typed out exactly how I talk it would look odd.

I can't properly convey phlegm in words.
Same here, I'm not sure how you would even convey a scouse accent in writing, with too many letters getting missed out, purring r's and the aforementioned phlegm. Seeing it written down may make it look more like a chant to summon an elder god than actual English.

I think this is as close as I could guess;

"A'rrrright la', 'ow arr yer doin' mate?"

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
This is the accent from the small Scottish town I lived in for over 20 years. Somehow I've managed to avoid talking like this myself.

1. Ah fukken luv yoo min.

2. It's nae fukken likely this'll fukken work.

Local phrases are hard, mainly because they include a level of friendly swearing that would get me banned from this site...

There are a few interesting names for things though.

Al mannie - old man
Wifey - woman
loon - boy
quine / quiney - girl

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
I think I speak pretty good, or very close to how the text looks on paper. The biggest thing is the absence of the t sound; either replaced by a d sound or left out all together. Oh, and saying "goin'", but I think most places miss out the "g" in "..ing".

e.g. "I'm goin' to be doin' things a liddle differenly around here".

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
Well, here goes..

I fucking love you man.

It's likely this won't work out.

Bloody fucking Jesus Bollocks. (My personal choice of profanity)

Hmm..

I've always said that the English accent (when used correctly) is simply the words said exactly as they are written. Of course there are variants (Northern, Cockney) that don't adhere to the normal rules of pronunciation but I've always had one of those voices which is more or less neutral on the accent front.. If anyone who's heard my voice on here feels the need to correct me, go ahead!

x

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
As far as I've noticed, my accent (Norwegian) doesn't really affect my pronunciation, so much as it is an omnipresent heavy burr, if that makes any kind of sense.
Although, I have been told I pronounce 'Viking' as 'Why-king', so I dunno.