Please welcome your newest moderator, Lilani!

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
Obvious question, how do you view long argument threads in R&P?
So long as nobody is breaking the rules, making things too personal, or going off topic in a way which is bad for the thread they're fine. Of course I'll also be scaling back my participation in them, lol.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Lilani said:
The Lunatic said:
I totally understand, and while I realize it may have been easier to not say anything, I realized the way this must look to some and I wanted to put it out there in the open.

To answer your question, I will use my best judgement as far as individuals go. If I feel conflicted I will corroborate with the other mods to reach a consensus. I've never seen moderating as a lone ranger sort of thing to do, and so I plan on making sure I don't go too far without parsing myself. That's why we're a team :)

Well, unfortunately, given The Escapist's style of moderation is a bit "Cloak and Dagger", we can only take your word for it. As we have no way of knowing if you'll actually do this.

Given your predecessor made similar claims, and after what happened with him, I'm a bit concerned.

Either way, as for another question. How do you feel about passive aggressive insults like comparing people to ridicules things such as "80 year olds who blame Obama for everything" during debates in R&P?

Passive aggressive and derailing attitudes like this are something people in R&P and other forums have been complaining about for a while, do you have any intention to resolve these issues as most of these insults tend to fall under "Moderator's choice".

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
A good choice, I think. Congratulations and goo luck to you, Lilani! I hope that you are firm but fair. :)

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Good luck, Lilani! You've always seemed very reasonable and level-headed in the threads I have seen you post in, so I feel you should do an excellent job as a moderator. Congrats!

Lilani

May 27, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Either way, as for another question. How do you feel about passive aggressive insults like comparing people to ridicules things such as "80 year olds who blame Obama for everything" during debates in R&P?

Passive aggressive and derailing attitudes like this are something people in R&P and other forums have been complaining about for a while, do you have any intention to resolve these issues as most of these insults tend to fall under "Moderator's choice".
The way it's worded in the code of conduct, you can say things about an idea but not directly about a person.

Note that this does not mean you cannot share your opinion of another's opinion, i.e. "I think that what you said is racist" is allowed, but "You are racist" is not.

That's where the line always has been, and unless we change the code of conduct that's the line I'll go by. If you or someone else has a problem with either the rules or how they are enforced you can bring it up to the mod team and we can discuss it, but I don't intend on striking out on my own to make any major changes or resolutions. Again, none of us are lone rangers. I will personally abstain from making combative comments so close to the line as every other mod does, but unless it's decided as a group that we change it I don't plan on moving the line.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Lilani said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Obvious question, how do you view long argument threads in R&P?
So long as nobody is breaking the rules, making things too personal, or going off topic in a way which is bad for the thread they're fine. Of course I'll also be scaling back my participation in them, lol.
Aww I would hope that you wouldn't scale back your participation, you are one of those who have genuinely good input into threads! :D Now remember you can always tell them to take it back instead of distancing yourself as an option if it becomes bothersome! In the meantime, I hope you have some fun with it, and don't worry as much about people being too butt hurt when they are prevented from sending the forums into a spiraling tunnel of chaos and mayhem! We all know you will do your best! XD

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Lilani said:
The way it's worded in the code of conduct, you can say things about an idea but not directly about a person.

Note that this does not mean you cannot share your opinion of another's opinion, i.e. "I think that what you said is racist" is allowed, but "You are racist" is not.

That's where the line always has been, and unless we change the code of conduct that's the line I'll go by. If you or someone else has a problem with either the rules or how they are enforced you can bring it up to the mod team and we can discuss it, but I don't intend on striking out on my own to make any major changes or resolutions. Again, none of us are lone rangers. I will personally abstain from making combative comments so close to the line as every other mod does, but unless it's decided as a group that we change it I don't plan on moving the line.

What about, say, calling a person "Utterly sad and childish" for doing something you disagree with?

Lilani

May 27, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Lilani said:

What about, say, calling a person "Utterly sad and childish" for doing something you disagree with?
Again, that was describing the idea, not the person. And if my judgement is wrong we can appeal to other mods. I'm not afraid of being wrong, if I was I wouldn't have brought it up at all.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Lilani said:
Again, that was describing the idea, not the person. And if my judgement is wrong we can appeal to other mods. I'm not afraid of being wrong, if I was I wouldn't have brought it up at all.
I don't think using technicalities to insult people is really the kind of behaviour a moderator should admit to.

The forums have an issue with people doing things like this, it is something that has been complained about frequently both on the forums and in the group.

It seems very poor form to select somebody for moderation who in their announcement thread admits to having done these actions, and admits they're too biased to deal with an entire section of the forum,, and may even have to defer some decisions on certain members completely due to their opinions on that person.

Sorry, but, best of luck. I fear you may need it. A lot of people are going to be unhappy seeing the comments you've made now appearing under a blue name, and it will only further create issues for the forums, in my opinion.

Lilani

May 27, 2009
G.O.A.T. said:
Lilani said:

Oooh! Then I must challenge my moderations in the thread I link below, and since no one has ever responded to a query from the "contact link", you get it here! Please look at my warnings in this thread and tell me where exactly I insulted the person and not his ideas. This is a perfect example of why I'm pissed in general.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/663.874563-Im-a-Social-Justice-Warrior-Ask-Me-Anything-No-Subject-Is-Taboo?page=8
This isn't really an appropriate place to talk about individual infractions, but you can do a moderation appeal and we can talk about it that way :)

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Lilani said:

I'm getting the feeling that there is some personal resentment nested somewhere in this conversation, but if I saw someone post that, I'd report them since that would be a personal attack. With that particular wording, I'd do so even if it was said against one's statement, as there's no way I can see to divorce the idea of "your statement is utterly sad and childish" from "and so are you."

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
I'm getting the feeling that there is some personal resentment nested somewhere in this conversation, but if I saw someone post that, I'd report them since that would be a personal attack. With that particular wording, I'd do so even if it was said against one's statement, as there's no way I can see to divorce the idea of "your statement is utterly sad and childish" from "and so are you."
Lilani used it as an insult against Metailurus in this post:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.875304-Poll-Are-men-falling-behind-Are-men-discriminated-against#22006637

Not particularly personal towards me, I'm not Metailurus. Nor do I agree with his original statement.

However, forum moderation has been an issue for a long time, and statements like these appearing under a moderator's name just appears to be adding fuel to an already burning fire.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Scars Unseen said:
Lilani used it as an insult against Metailurus in this post:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.875304-Poll-Are-men-falling-behind-Are-men-discriminated-against#22006637

Not particularly personal towards me, I'm not Metailurus. Nor do I agree with his original statement.

However, forum moderation has been an issue for a long time, and statements like these appearing under a moderator's name just appears to be adding fuel to an already burning fire.
To be frank, If I was a mod, I'd be handing out warnings in GG related threads left and right to both sides for failing to heed the "Don't be a jerk" rule. Yeah, I would have reported that comment if I had seen it, but I generally stay out of most of those sorts of threads for my own sanity.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
G.O.A.T. said:
Sassafrass said:
Welcome.
Don't fuck it up.
Have you read the thread? This was fucked before Lilani even showed up!
I tend to ignore pretty much the majority of posts nowadays.
Apart from yours, of course.