Plot twists and big reveals you solved by yourself

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Stasisesque said:
robotam said:
Stasisesque said:
The ending to Lost, along with every one who ever watched even 5 minutes of the first episode, 10 years prior to its cancellation.

Every 'mystery' HIMYM has thrown at us has been pretty easily solved. The 'twists' in every episode of Sherlock. ALL the 'shocking revelations' in last season's Doctor Who, and the ending to Inception.
Lost wasn't on for 10 years and it wasn't cancelled. What twist exactly did you see coming?
Sorry, hyperbole gets the best of me when I really dislike something. Also hope, I hoped it had been cancelled - it's sort of sad that it came to a 'natural' end in retrospect.

The 'twist' being them dying. True, only the "sideways world" was the afterlife, but that still sort of leaves the island as purgatory, even if it was real. It was a cop out by Abrams, and a huge shame as I am normally a fan of his. A similar thing is/was/has happened in Fringe.
It's not really how you are describing. The sideways world in the final season is purgatory or something close. Everyone is there because everyone dies someday. A handful of characters never die in the show and are assumed to have lived quite awhile off or on the island. They are dead in the sideverse because eventually at somepoint they did die... because that's how living works. The sideverse was a way of wrapping up the characters not the story because the story could have technically kept going. It just didn't need to. The island is nothin close to purgatory. It was just an oft visited island sitting on an immense power source.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Identity was by far the easiest twist to figure out. They explicitly tell you what it is in the opening credits. Yet people were still somehow surprised.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Batman Dark Knight rises

Bane couldn't have been the kid who escaped. When he was beating on Batman he clearly states that he didn't see the daylight until he was a grown man. He couldn't have been the son of that Ghul or whatever his name is

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I figured out KOTOR pretty fast.
And all of the things in The Dark Knight Rises.
Shutter Island was pretty obvious.
Oh and the first season of Dexter.

Those are the ones I could remember of the top of my head.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Brandon Sanderson's writing is great for plot twists. Sometimes he leads you by the hand explaining it at some point, other times he leaves it just up to you. But he always gives you rules and frameworks for his magic systems that let you guess.

In Warbreaker I worked out Clod was Arsteel after being reanimated. It was pretty easy (they had a friend who was a brilliant swordsman, their zombie servant is a brilliant swordsman), but he never tells you it. I guessed the numerous statures were Kalad's Phantoms a few pages before the reveal.

Though I did miss that Shallan in Way of Kings had a shardblade, I misread her line about having a hidden weapon to mean her fake Soulcaster and I totally read a "counting her heartbeats line" as just dramatic writing. I did guess Kaladin had stormlight powers the minute he pulled out a dun-sphere. I did guess that the Voidbringers were the Parshmen/Parshendi.

In the Mistborn series I immediately understood Spook had a haematurligic spike when he got pewter powers and heard Kelsier's voice (Ruin actually). Then very quickly I realsed that Vin's coppercloud piercing powers must have come from her bronze earring. I did miss that Reen's voice from earlier was the same God/Kelsier/Ruin that Spook and Zane heard.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
Stasisesque said:
Sorry, hyperbole gets the best of me when I really dislike something. Also hope, I hoped it had been cancelled - it's sort of sad that it came to a 'natural' end in retrospect.

The 'twist' being them dying. True, only the "sideways world" was the afterlife, but that still sort of leaves the island as purgatory, even if it was real. It was a cop out by Abrams, and a huge shame as I am normally a fan of his. A similar thing is/was/has happened in Fringe.
But everyone eventually dying isn't really a twist. The twist was they were able to create a purgatory, using the power of friendship (and sinking the island with a nuke), they were able to create a purgatory (sideways world), where they could sort out some issues and then all move onto the afterlife together. The island was not in anyway purgatory.
You might not like it. But I'd say no one would guess that by watching 5 the first episode.

ArcaneSaint

Jul 9, 2012
Elect G-Max said:
ArcaneSaint said:
First one that springs to mind:

when I saw Fight club I quickly realized the truth about Tyler Durden. In the scene where he, himself, and his "girlfriend" had a conversation, and it was only ever her and one of the two others in the same room. She never encountered both of them at the same time. Also, the things she said.
Dude, you just contradicted yourself. You can't say "the scene where he, himself, and his girlfriend had a conversation" followed by "She never encountered both of them at the same time".
I meant the scene where (enormously massive spoilers ahead, if you haven't seen Fight Club yet, do so first.)
Tyler and not-Tyler were having an argument with each other and Marla, but she never saw both of them at the same time, as Tyler and not-Tyler were the same person (multiple personality twist!), so when Tyler was talking to Marla, he'd often leave the room after which not-Tyler would enter, talk to Marla, leave, and Tyler would once again enter. She also acted all confused in that scene, as she didn't know about the split personality.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Not quite a big reveal, but I worked out that Mass Effect 3 would have you prowling the galaxy getting support from the various races for the Plan, and I have the posts somewhere on here to prove it.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
snave said:
Waaghpowa said:
Stasisesque said:
The ending to Lost, along with every one who ever watched even 5 minutes of the first episode, 10 years prior to its cancellation.
I had never seen the show and I called the ending when the series started. I was till in highschool then and I specifically said

It will turn out they're all dead

I think it was based on a book, which is probably how I called it.
What got me into LOST was that the producer promised, in the off-season gap between Season 1 and Season 2, that a) there would not be a copout ending, nor ambiguous or non-ending and b) all the big theories already postulated to him -- most notably this specific theory itself -- were wrong. I stopped watching LOST at the midway ending with the flashforwards where everything major was tied up, but with enough minor loose ends to keep producing episodes for the dedicated fans. If he did indeed pull this stunt as the final, final ending, after suckering people into watching by explicitly promising that would not be what happened, then that's disgraceful.
Was anybody really expecting the Lost ending to be anything else?

Lost had 1 good season and 5 godawful ones.

I told all my friends about a third of the way through the second season "Look, none of this will lead anywhere, this is just going in circles, it's just going to add more and more bullshit till we get to a stupid copout ending that's going to piss everyone but the religiously devoted fans off; all because there is no satisfying way to answer the collective piles of bullshit that have been stacked on top of one another over the course of 5 seasons.

My friends still kept watching it, and at the end all of them said "Shit, you were right"...

Oh and the twist in Bioshock, god that was telegraphed a mile away.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
Pretty much everything that going happen in Avatar I figured out after the first 10 minutes or so, when they got done explaining the basic premise of the movie. It was laughably predictable after that, but despite that I still managed to enjoy the movie.

I figured out the killer in quite a few Bones episodes because I noticed a pattern with it, every killer will either have appeared in the first 5-10 minutes of the episode or just come out of nowhere in the last 5 minutes of the episode, the killer almost never shows up halfway through, and they will never not figure out who the killer is either.

Captcha: Smoking Guns

My, how psychic captcha, you must have seen me coming an hour ago.
I figured out the entire thing about Avatar from seeing the trailer. That movie gets way too much praise, the plot is really unoriginal. The special effects are decent though.

OT: I have guessed the killers in several Agatha Christie books, several twists in games (most recently The Last Story came with an obvious one). I would say I have a knack for it, but I think it is because there are few original stories left.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I figured out that the "flashbacks" were actually flash-forwards.

I figured out that the weird Jacob-followers were carrying around Locke's corpse.

Yeah, that's all I can think of.
I figured out that the writers didn't know what they were doing about half-way through the first season.
It was obvious they were incompetent because they made Jack the main character.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I pretty much figured The Machinist?s shocker when it seemed blatant that Bale?s character was paranoid, he was constantly accusing his friends of wrong things, and no-one knew about that mysterious bald guy. Basically, if you have a film where the main character?s depressed, has a friend he gets along well with but no-one else seems to know about him, then it?s likely that it?s just a split-personality.

Elect G-Max said:
The Nolanverse says a lot of things that make no sense. For example:

Joker, to criminals: "Kill the Batman."
Joker, to Batman: "I don't want to kill you!"
You could argue that that's just the Joker being his usual insane self, and possibly, that he knew Batman wouldn't get killed; he just wanted to turn the people of Gotham City against him.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Doctor Who (Matt Smith's second series)

The box name speaks for itself. River Song being the Doctor's wife. The part with her being Amy and Rory's daughter I didn't exactly see coming, was thinking more that she might have been a relative of their's or something

Walking Dead The Game Episode 3

Ben being the person bargaining with the bandits. Between him and Carley I thought it would be him as he was a newcomer

Prometheus

It's an Alien prequel. To be honest, anyone who didn't see that being the case (what with it being heavily publicised but denied) needs to watch the other ones

squidface

Jun 3, 2012
Most of the endings to the revived Doctor Who series... apart from series 1 with Chris Eccleston. Man, I'm sorry but it got so obvious that they were going to bring Davros and the Master in at some point.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Savo said:
Baldur Moon said:
The Cabin in the Woods most recently
The college kids were being sacrificed to some sort of ancient evil in order to stop something very bad from happening; they practically give it away in the opening credits and first 15 minuets of the film
Kind of left me disappointing cause all my friends were calling "Best twist eva!" Hardly I say... Good movie though
This. I purposefully kept away from spoilers for Cabin in the Woods for months, just to watch it and find that there really aren't any decent twists. I left the theater wondering whether the filmmakers would have known subtlety if it drop-kicked them down a flight of stairs. They had a really awesome twist, now if only they hadn't been showing their entire hand for the whole movie.
I don't think anyone was worried about the actual plot of that movie. It was more of the

giant freaking monster battle that was awesome in the way that it looked like a bored 7th grader thought it up.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Elect G-Max said:
The Nolanverse says a lot of things that make no sense. For example:

Joker, to criminals: "Kill the Batman."
Joker, to Batman: "I don't want to kill you!"
Well, he really didn't want to kill him, he was just saying that so he could start his master plan to cause more chaos.