Plot twists and big reveals you solved by yourself

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Dr. McD said:
To be honest it would've been A LOT better without the bit in U.S.D.D. where Mason IS POINTING THE FUCKING GUN AT JFK. As that's where I immediately knew the twist. If they got rid of that and didn't set more than half the fucking levels in the Vietnam war they could have easily had a good game. Well actually they'd have to focus on stealth (it's fucking called "Black Ops" after all) as well rather than shitty combat that consists of spamming enemies hoping I just say "fuck this shit" and miss out on "teh epik holywod storay" as I go play a better game.

Basically they'd have to change the entire fucking game to actually be ABOUT black ops, rather than merely have them.
I was actually hoping that we would get a Vietnam CoD.

But no, another game with SPESHIUL FORSES that have the same AI as their conscripted enemies. I wouldn't mind CoD going into a more complex plot but they delivered it all wrong.

At least they had good levels. Loved the snowy ones.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Character deaths and such I can predict but the twists in mystery stories... It's not that I can't solve them myself it's more that I don't want too.

See I once solved the ending to this one mystery manga that I have honest to god forgotten the name of and it was just.... Meh was that it? No surprise "oh shit dafaq was that?" moment? Oh... Boring

In my opinion if you figure out a mystery story's ending before due time then the writer has failed. It's just not exciting (to me at least) when the twist is revealed only for it to be that thing you figured out 3 episodes ago.

Not that you shouldn't be thinking about the mystery, that would be silly. You just shouldn't be actually capable of solving it with the pieces they're giving to you. Withholding the last final piece of the puzzle if you will.

Look at the Higurashi anime. Constantly throwing out clues, other clues that aren't actually helpful, red herrings and stuff like that while still maintaining it's mystery.

ArcaneSaint

Jul 9, 2012
First one that springs to mind:

when I saw Fight club I quickly realized the truth about Tyler Durden. In the scene where he, himself, and his "girlfriend" had a conversation, and it was only ever her and one of the two others in the same room. She never encountered both of them at the same time. Also, the things she said.

There were others, but can't really remember them all right now. Oh wait, there was this one movie (can't remember the name, it wasn't any good anyway)
where the Earth had been evacuated, and everyone was living in decaying space stations orbiting it. There was this planet (I think it was called Rhea), that was said to be habitable, and a true paradise. When they first mentioned it about 5 minutes into the movie my first thought was: "huh, obvious plot twist, Rhea's gonna turn out to be a simulation.". Turns out I was right.

But yeah, my paranoia leads me to always question every action anyone takes, so I'm usually good at predicting that kind of stuff. In real life as well, but I usually keep that for myself, people often get all freaked out when you deduce their true motives from their actions, they often start thinking you're stalking them or something, even if you're just connecting the dots. So I learned to play dumb.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
octafish said:
Jade Empire...that one bugged me as the game dragged on and on and on.
Was gonna' gonna say this.

I knew pretty much the second I laid eyes on him that Li was going to be the bad guy.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
In 'The Genesis Code' by John Case, I had the plot solved by around the 25th page and I'm not even exagerating. The policemen asks a question about a murder, gets a REALLY random answer and it's almost impossible not to make the link straight away.

I really enjoyed the book, though I wish I hadn't developed the theory so early as it meant I saw a lot of the future events coming.

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
Persona 3.
When it turned out Shuji Ikutsuki (the chairman) was actually trying to summon Nyx. I always thought something was off about this guy. Some of what he said just didn't make any sense and he seemed to have a general disregard for privacy or safety. Plus they never explained exactly why he was connected to the Dark Hour, which I assumed was for big revelation later on. When he turned on them I wasn't surprised in the least.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
First time watching the Sherlock episode The Hounds of Baskerville, I guessed the twist.

"It's gonna be a hallucinogen, isn't it? One that makes people see a huge evil dog." He stared at me and replied, "Well, we might as well not bother with the episode if you're going to guess the plot before it starts."

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Jakub324 said:
I figured out that the Marked One and Strelok were the same person. Can't remember how, though.
Yeah I was going to say the same thing. I just kind of ended up with that a feeling it was true with no real explanation. On reflection, I guess the dream sequences are what really give it away.

ksn0va said:
Doc calls you 'Strelok' early on.
That's definitely past the mid-point of the main storyline. It's pretty much the last thing you need to do before moving onto the Red Forest and the endgame.

Eddy-16 said:
I saw the advert for Devil, the awful movie by M Night Shyamalan and called "The old lady will be the devil,[sarcasm] because who would expect that? [/sarcasm]"
I had my chips on the security guard who was watching the camera. I still think that would have been a better plot development.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Dark Knight Rises I guessed a lot of it.

I got Bioshock as soon as he said what the names of his wife and son were and i recalled a poster I had seen in game.

MGS3. I guessed Ocelot was one of the good guys from the beginning. And that the Boss was being set up.

Mafia 1. I knew it would end with your character being killed. I got the method wrong in that I thought it was going to be the cop you were talking too was crooked.

There is one of the Sharpe books (Sharpe's Sword I think) where he is trying to ferret out a spy and he believes it is someone but I called who it was really when the character was first introduced.

I also have a habit of guessing it is either the Butler or the Vicar did it in any mystery. ESPECIALLY if there is no Butler or Vicar in the story.

Also I guessed Hot Fuzz. Didn't change how awesome the movie was for me at all.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
I say the plot twist to Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean the New Hope.

tales spoiler:

For Tales, I knew that something was going to happen with the playable character Raven. I figured he would die in an unexpected way, or he would betray me and become the enemy. Why? One, he is the only playable character that is not customizable. Two, while he is a goofus, he does intellectualize everything, so he could easily justify away betrayal. Three, towards a certain point, he lets his goofy and carefree mask slip a few times, like he is pondering something that weighs him down heavily, but every topic steered towards this is disarmed with a smile and a joke.

Then again, i did NOT expect him to betray me, die, come BACK to life, AND rejoin my party in a span of like...10 minutes.

Star Ocean:

I do not know why, but i figured faize, one of the first playable characters (and someone who is there 85% of the game), to be the final boss/villain. I mean, that is a pretty unique twist, and yet it seems like they advertised the clues WAY too much.

1. In the middle of the game Faize goes from "lalala the world is wonderful and Edge is my hero" to "FU Edge, F your planet, F your people, and F your stupid emo hair!"

2. at the height of the new Angry Faize, he just ups and dies. No fanfare, no "FAAAAAAIIIIIIZZZEEE", just BOOM dead (course you dont see him die, although they never explained how he got out of that)

3. you get a new Faize, with half of the calories but all of the abilities! Well...okay i thought. Maybe this new faize is just a temp to fill in the plot till they find him. That is what i thought till i got to the final dungeon, and then it was "he is the final boss, isnt he?"

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
Stasisesque said:
The ending to Lost, along with every one who ever watched even 5 minutes of the first episode, 10 years prior to its cancellation.

Every 'mystery' HIMYM has thrown at us has been pretty easily solved. The 'twists' in every episode of Sherlock. ALL the 'shocking revelations' in last season's Doctor Who, and the ending to Inception.
Lost wasn't on for 10 years and it wasn't cancelled. What twist exactly did you see coming?

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Rogue Galaxy, fun game but story wise;
IF YOU HAVE EVER SEEN STAR WARS AN CANNOT FIGURE OUT THE PLOT TWISTS IN THIS GAME...
Jaster has some sort of important heritage, Zegram betrays you, you go on some grand adventure with a band of space pirates leaving a desert planet. And that the missing dad of the women and child is one of your party members. There is a f***ing C-3PO Expy. Damn.

Kataskopo

Dec 18, 2009
octafish said:
I knew who Altas was from the moment his family was killed, even when I didn't know what his name would be, because well...
The Polito form is dead, insect.

Fucking Slumdog Millionare, knew the final question, who he would call and what he would do about ten minutes in...I walked out at that stage.
How... but... why?

I tried to pay attention to the logs, but I never got a hint of that. Would you kindly elaborate?

Sep 13, 2009
Don't know quite how difficult this was to supposed to be to find out but in the first season of Dexter:

I guessed that the doctor was the Ice Truck Killer pretty early on. Initially because he seemed like the only character in the show who could be him, but later on he kept slipping in lines about bodies and pieces, as well as having a fascination in the human form

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Kataskopo said:
octafish said:
I knew who Altas was from the moment his family was killed, even when I didn't know what his name would be, because well...
The Polito form is dead, insect.

Fucking Slumdog Millionare, knew the final question, who he would call and what he would do about ten minutes in...I walked out at that stage.
How... but... why?

I tried to pay attention to the logs, but I never got a hint of that. Would you kindly elaborate?
I knew because so much of Bioshock was badly lifted from 1999's System Shock 2, which I played to death, (and still do). When Atlas' "family" died I knew what role he would take, the logs just filled in details, like his name and motivations.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
robotam said:
Stasisesque said:
The ending to Lost, along with every one who ever watched even 5 minutes of the first episode, 10 years prior to its cancellation.

Every 'mystery' HIMYM has thrown at us has been pretty easily solved. The 'twists' in every episode of Sherlock. ALL the 'shocking revelations' in last season's Doctor Who, and the ending to Inception.
Lost wasn't on for 10 years and it wasn't cancelled. What twist exactly did you see coming?
Sorry, hyperbole gets the best of me when I really dislike something. Also hope, I hoped it had been cancelled - it's sort of sad that it came to a 'natural' end in retrospect.

The 'twist' being them dying. True, only the "sideways world" was the afterlife, but that still sort of leaves the island as purgatory, even if it was real. It was a cop out by Abrams, and a huge shame as I am normally a fan of his. A similar thing is/was/has happened in Fringe.

locoartero

Jan 3, 2011
I actually study stories for a living. I'm bound to ruin myself some.
Pretty much every Shyamalan plot twist (from the actually worth watching movies Unbreakable, Sixth Sense, etc) I mean, come on. The second the kid says "They don't know they are dead" I called it. Same thing with Jackson's suspicious obsession with wearing gloves.
Also, Nueve Reinas, the super obvious Miranda Tate thing, Brazil, Shutter Island, Invisible Monsters and, sadly, Fight Club (too many hints: "I know this because Tyler knows this" and "Sometimes Tyler spoke for me" being just too much). By the same logic, The Machinist, but that felst like a Frankenmonster stapled together with ideas from other better films, so who cares...
Matchstick Men, but that was boring and predictable.
Lucky Number Slevin I pieced together halfway through...
Dexter, the first season
Slumdog Millionaire
Psycho, thanks to the modern obssesion with criminal and DPD
Brazil
It's 4:30 am
I'll probably have more later.
And that's skiping videogames and except for one book, literature. My god, do we all have some there.