Plot twists and big reveals you solved by yourself

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
So in any movies/games/plays/books you've read, played or seen, did any of them have any twists that you managed to solve and guess before they were actually revealed?

I mean, anyone who saw The Empire Strikes Back in cinema, did you ever guess that
Vader was Luke's father all along?

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I guessed the whole big plot twist at the end of The Sixth Sense.

Video games are easy to predict, especially when a character is going to die.
There is one character I keep guessing will die, but to my surprise hasn't yet.

Sully from Uncharted,
he's the mentor character and with everything that happened in Drake's Deception,
it just seemed like they were going to kill him.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
The Halo rings weren't meant to destroy the Flood.

Also... The Flood will return in Halo 4-6 and what you have to do is reverse what the Halo rings do.

I'M CALLING ON IT.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
In several cases, in shows and movies, there will be an off-hand mention of a 'thing' which is important-but-not-relevent. That thing will be important in handling some important aspect of solving the plot and I can usually pick them out.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
I knew who Miranda Tate really was the instant she walked on screen in Dark Knight Rises
Really? That's some super sleuthing to guess that early on, I guessed when she was tending the fire and talking about her family.. :|

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
M. Night Shyamalan film "The Village but in saying so it wasn't that hard.

I started to question about the real setting when during that scene when they had a fest, they had really fancy looking plates. It lead me wondering how can they even make plates like those if they were suppose to be isolated from outside the vilalge (same thing if they somehow bought those plate from someone).

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I dunno if I was supposed to already know (it was pretty obvious) but I knew straight away that
Quincy Sharp was the spirit of Arkham. Their voices are exactly the same.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
My friends hate me because I have a bad knack to figure out twists in almost every movie I watch and game I play. I guess I just over-analyze fiction. Here's a good example of my prowess (Old Boy Spoiler):

I figured out that the main character's "love interest" was actually his adult daughter during the second scene she was in.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Sean Hollyman said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I knew who Miranda Tate really was the instant she walked on screen in Dark Knight Rises
Really? That's some super sleuthing to guess that early on, I guessed when she was tending the fire and talking about her family.. :|
Actually, it was earlier than that. Once I heard that Liam Neeson would be reprising his role in the film, I realized what they would be doing.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Hammeroj said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Didn't you then know it before the film came out? Really, what kind of a clue is her walking on screen? I figured it instantly with the "I want to bring balance" line, a little too transparent.

While not exactly a plot twist, because there aren't any on my mind right now, Avengers had a stupidly predictable ending to the whole invasion thing. The moment they start showing the government people on the monitors, before they even say one thing, it became exceedingly clear what's going to happen in the next few minutes. Man, Avengers, why are you making it so hard for me to like you.
See above. Once Liam Neeson was confirmed to be in the film, I put it together.

As for the Avengers, I thought it was fun but so damn predictable. It had the same basic plot as the Justice League Unlimited Series finale, except replace Loki with Darkseid, and the hero vs hero tension with Hero vs Villains working together tension.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
TizzytheTormentor said:
Final Fantasy 13
Oerba being destroyed, they handled it SO fucking badly, easily Squares poorest attempt at building suspense for a plot twist. Vanille and Fang going on about it beng beautiful and green to build suspense was a dead giveaway
Yeah I saw that coming too.

That would've been an awesome scene had they not fucked that up.

OT: Silent Hill: Homecoming.

Alex's brother Josh being dead the whole time. I saw it coming the mintue I saw him in the hospital which is VERY early in the game. It didn't help that the devs said that Homecoming would be like SH2, so when I heard that Josh was missing I figured it out. Way to ruin the twist and build up during the whole game jackasses.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
FalloutJack said:
In several cases, in shows and movies, there will be an off-hand mention of a 'thing' which is important-but-not-relevent. That thing will be important in handling some important aspect of solving the plot and I can usually pick them out.
[a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekhovsGun"]There's a name for that.[/a]

OT: Usually, no, I'm not very good at that. If its a really tired and old cliche story I can figure it out though. Also, when the villain is a traitor and the actor who plays him fails to understand the meaning of subtlety. Oh, you killed that guy before he could explain what he was doing even though he gave up? Yes, you're totally not hiding anything!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Twilight_guy said:
FalloutJack said:
[a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekhovsGun"]There's a name for that.[/a]
That or MacGuffun Delivery Service.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Eclpsedragon said:
I guessed the whole big plot twist at the end of The Sixth Sense.

Video games are easy to predict, especially when a character is going to die.
There is one character I keep guessing will die, but to my surprise hasn't yet.

Sully from Uncharted,
he's the mentor character and with everything that happened in Drake's Deception,
it just seemed like they were going to kill him.
Yeah, don't be suprised; Uncharted is a fun series. It's a videogame that takes inspiration from old cinema and literature. Everything works out for the hero at the end and he gets the girl. Hell, he managed to get the same girl three different times.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I've gotten pretty good at solving murder mystery/police procedural TV shows. The person who done it is usually someone who has unnecessary dialogue. TV is on a fairly strict schedule, and they like to develop the person who did it before the big reveal. Teenage children introduced and given a personality? Suspicious. Ditto for coworkers who aren't immediately considered suspects by the protagonists.

I also called Katie Holmes' death in Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. I mean come on, she's a stepmother.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
This newest season of Breaking Bad isn't as crazy to me as the previous seasons. I'm sort of guessing what will happen next and most of the time i'm right. But I guess you just get a feel for the show and the direction it goes when you watch it for 4 seasons.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
There was one movie famous for it's crazy twisting plot (I think it was Virtigo, but I can't remember) that I figured out the entire plot except for some small details out in the first 15 minutes.