Plots That Made You Say, "No, Just Stop!"

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
cojo965 said:
Mau95 said:
The Toriko anime, especially the ending.
Um, okay why? That doesn't really tell us anything.
Oh, okay. The anime was already a diluted and censored version of the manga. Then they changed how the Cooking Fest arc ended by making Toriko team-up with Starjun (bad guy) whereas in the manga Starjun beat him and left him for dead. They worked together to beat Joa (bigger bad) who suddenly transformed into a monster. Then Toriko used some kind of magical Super Saiyan transformation to fight him, and they both became giant monsters to fight eachother. It's as if they thought "let's just make DBZ again!" (DBZ kai took Toriko's timeslot as well, btw). Then the anime ends on a "Our adventure has only just begun!" note, while the manga continues it's own plot.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
The entire concept of Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya made me cringe to Hell and back. The writers went out of their way to make the title character completely detestable, and then made the plot revolve around people indulging her, lest everyone die.

sidewinder fang said:
Sword Art Online comes to mind, I watched a few episodes and couldn't stomach anymore after I figured out the basic plot SPOILER, everybody except the main character dies in the most tragic way possible.
Stick with the abridged series. At least Kirito has a consistent character arc as a depressive dickhead in that.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
They call this a Wall-Banger on TV Tropes, books that get to the point that you close them then throw them across the room (making a bang). The last Oee I read was at a point in Sasuke ... I mean Naruto Shippuden after Itachi had been killed and Sasuke decided to go and destroy Konoha (the leaf village). I was like 'Nope. Fuck it. Fuck all of it'. I didn't pick up the series at all after that point until the latest Ultimate Ninja game got me interested again.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
moggett88 said:
I remember watching Elysium in the cinema, and literally scratching my head in confusion at the ending. The whole film was about the surface dwellers trying to get up there to access their magic medic robots. When they do get up there, they find out that Elysium has entire spaceships filled with the things that are just sitting unused in a hangar or something...why are the people on Elysium spending so much effort trying to stop people getting up there when they could just send the ships down? Confused.
I was really wondering that myself. The only thing I could come up with was economics. Perhaps it costs a lot of money to fly those ships down to Earth. And maybe they were worried about the wear and tear on the equipment? And then I come to the realization that was kind of the point; pointing out rich people can spare the resources but are generally dicks so they won't. But we're talking about a movie where basic human rights violations are rather par for the course so I dunno.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Some of the plot points that happen in Mirai Nikki/Future Diary deserve some mention because it does the typical "big thing happens with little/no repercussion in the real world", but does it to a much greater degree.
Okay, so the main characters are brought into the police department, one of them assaults two police officers, steals their guns, shoots the police chief repeatedly, grabs other main character, holds an officer hostage, shoots at least two more cops in the escape, join up with a known terrorist (aiding and abetting), hold two more hostages in a hospital, ransom them, then straight up murder like 4 or 5 SWAT guys, blow up a hospital wing, before finally topping it off with killing the police chief.
But the police chief was corrupt so all charges were dropped.
Granted it's still an amazing show and I recommend everyone watch it, but at some point you just need to say "Shut up, Anime."

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
Fsyco said:
dyre said:
and that The Major could have used better writing.
Lemme stop you right there...I despise the Hellsing OVA, but no. The Major does not need better writing. He is the best written character in the entirety of Hellsing Ultimate outside of Jan Valentine.

moggett88

May 2, 2013
DevilWithaHalo said:
moggett88 said:
I remember watching Elysium in the cinema, and literally scratching my head in confusion at the ending. The whole film was about the surface dwellers trying to get up there to access their magic medic robots. When they do get up there, they find out that Elysium has entire spaceships filled with the things that are just sitting unused in a hangar or something...why are the people on Elysium spending so much effort trying to stop people getting up there when they could just send the ships down? Confused.
I was really wondering that myself. The only thing I could come up with was economics. Perhaps it costs a lot of money to fly those ships down to Earth. And maybe they were worried about the wear and tear on the equipment? And then I come to the realization that was kind of the point; pointing out rich people can spare the resources but are generally dicks so they won't. But we're talking about a movie where basic human rights violations are rather par for the course so I dunno.
It was just so dumb. The rich people were all "they keep attacking us and there's nothing we can do to stop it, life sux", and at no point did they think to use their spare magic robot doctors. Surely an ongoing war is going to cost them more in the long run?

MrRa1ndrop

Apr 7, 2014
Well there are quite a few, but not only games...
The first time it happened, it wasa book called "Die Dämonen" (I'm german -.-) literally "The Demons".
They get stuck in a desert and haven't eaten in a day, ONE DAY!!!!, they just say: "Oh well lets kill and eat the sick guy." Thats just sick, besides not being logical. But to its "Credit" it wanst very good all around, so at least it wans't atotal loss.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
moggett88 said:
DevilWithaHalo said:
moggett88 said:
It was just so dumb. The rich people were all "they keep attacking us and there's nothing we can do to stop it, life sux", and at no point did they think to use their spare magic robot doctors. Surely an ongoing war is going to cost them more in the long run?
Say what? They fired their guided missiles at them because killing them seemed like a good idea! I agree with you entirely that it was dumb, but as I said; that's the point. Show how dumb the 1% is.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
X character has been the worlds biggest evil, murdering douche bag but does one good thing at the end so everything is cool now.

I don't mean the Anakin Skywalker type who dies doing the right thing part way redeeming themselves, I mean the kind that live afterwards but suffer no consequences for the evil stuff they have done.

For all the many problems it has had in recent years I have still had some enjoyment reading/watching Naruto but it is looking more and more likly that Sasuke is NOT going to get the painfull death that he richly deserves simply because he has stopped being an evil douche bag (now he is just a regular douche bag) in order to stop the world from ending.

Raku-Gosha

Apr 21, 2014
Read thread title first thing to pop up in my head

NO NO NO NO NO. Nope.

Damn it SAO, you reeled me in with a promising setting and mildy good opening episode only to switch out the living in an mmo aspect for the authors wish fulfillment. bleurgh.

Didn't even bother with the second half. heard some red flags (cousin romance, elf shit, rapey dudeguy, and asunas' demotion to damsel) I was like

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
DevilWithaHalo said:
moggett88 said:
DevilWithaHalo said:
moggett88 said:
Say what? They fired their guided missiles at them because killing them seemed like a good idea! I agree with you entirely that it was dumb, but as I said; that's the point. Show how dumb the 1% is.
As if we needed further proof of this when Queen ***** tries telling off a mentally unstable murderer face to face. Well done, you got killed because you tried to pull something that only worked before because you weren't in the same room as him.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
HellbirdIV said:
"Commander Shepard, we found something on Mars that might be the key to stopping the Reapers."

*Facedesk*
They could've at least retconned something from the previous game. Surely something should have stuck out earlier.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Uhura said:
In tv-shows I hate heavy milking of the romantic tension between two main characters. I'm specifically talking about shows like Castle and Bones where it's painfully obvious right from the start that the two leads will end up together but the romantic plot is 'postponed' because the showrunners want to milk the whole "will they, won't they" tension as much as possible. This leads into situations where the romantic tension is milked for years before anything concrete actually happens between the characters, which means you have to watch season after season of episodes where the leads shoot loving glances at each other and almost kiss but somebody always interrupts. After a while that type of stuff gets tiresome.
And the actual relationship is pretty terrible

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
trunkage said:
And the actual relationship is pretty terrible
Well yeah, that too. It really is cringe worthy when after years of waiting the couple finally gets together and the chemistry is lacking.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
How about the plot and general premise of The Purge which makes zero sense whatsoever to the point where even trying to explain it makes you sound stupid.

I couldn't even get half-way through the trailer before denouncing it as stupid.

Ten Foot Bunny said:
The Conjuring REALLY irked me. I went into it thinking I knew what it was about (a legend in the field of paranormal research) and it turned into the type of movie I can't stand.

(Yeah, I'm being vague so as to avoid spoilers)
I like the part about 40 minutes in when they're showing a filming of one of their exorcisms and an upside down cross manifests itself on the skin of the patient. Apparently the demon was either an uninformed metalhead or a follower of St. Peter the first Pope who adopted the upside down cross in humility of christ.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
Lost started off very promising, and is really good up until late season 2. Then some of the shit they pull out of their ass made me quit the series because I was just utterly annoyed at everything.

Also the reason I can't understand the love around the new Captain America. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of the film, but as soon as
The Nazi computer brain
shows up, it stopped being in the way you'd enjoy something like an Iron Man, where it's a relatively clever action film, but in the way I suppose something like The Expendables is meant to be enjoyed (though the sole concept of enjoying that particular film is quite alien to me), where I cheered at the pretty explosions because I like pretty explosions because they're pretty and explosive. Boom.

Fredvdp

Apr 9, 2009
deathbydeath said:
The T-800 in Mass Effect 2 fits this so well.
I think the problem there is the design of the Reaper, not its existence. The plot is fine, but it could have been so much better if they had just picked a different design for the Reaper. For instance, this concept art:

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
That animation Ergo Proxy
It seemed rather nice and interesting until they left that small rural village outside the dome, then i was not sure if i was even watching the show anymore, just completely insane
I really did not finish LOST, since it did the same after Eko... took a hike