Pokémon: Any other "shiny virgins" out there?

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
I've been playing since red and blue came out and still haven't seen one either :/ Mind you I could have seen one earlier on but not notice it because back then I didn't really know about them and thought red gyarados was just a special one and didn't know other pokemon came in different colours.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
It took me awhile, but I found my first shiny ever in Pearl. And it's actually a funny story.

I was EV training in the haunted house, and I randomly found a shiny Gastly (with sexy blue smoke, no less). I caught it, praised Arceus for my good fortune, and returned to the Pokemon Center.

Upon returning to the Pokemon Center, I received a message that I had never seen before: Nurse Joy told me that I had contracted Pokerus. So, not only had that Gastly been shiny, but it ALSO had Pokerus. If you're not aware, the odds for encountering a Pokemon with Pokerus are actually LOWER than the odds for encountering a shiny.

What are the freaking odds that I'd find one with BOTH? (Seriously, what are the odds? I'm sure there's some math master out there that can tell me. The odds of a shiny are 1/8192, and the odds of Pokerus are 3/65536. Get on that, math nerds.)
Fairly sure you'd just multiply the probabilities together, so that gives you a probability of 0.0000000056 of both happening at once. To be statistically certain of it happening once, you'd have to catch random Pokemon 178957002.43 times, which gives odds of 1/178,957,001, rounding down. It's been a while since I did probability, so if I screwed up the calculations feel free to correct me :)As for myself, assuming Red Gyarados don't count, I've never run into any shinies.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, the odds of being struck by lightning in the US in any given year are 1/1,000,000, so you catching that Pokemon was nearly 179 times less likely than being hit by lightning.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I only lost my shiny virginity (shineginity?) a few weeks ago. Been playing since Red and Blue and had never found one. Until I was breeding some guys to complete the PokeDex when suddenly...

So yeah, he's my only shiny, not counting the ones everyone can get.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Not once besides the Gyrados which I had in my party the entire game afterwards.

For some time though it seemed like every Pokemon I caught had pokerus which I thought was a bad thing at the time.

BlackStar42 said:
Leemaster777 said:
It took me awhile, but I found my first shiny ever in Pearl. And it's actually a funny story.

I was EV training in the haunted house, and I randomly found a shiny Gastly (with sexy blue smoke, no less). I caught it, praised Arceus for my good fortune, and returned to the Pokemon Center.

Upon returning to the Pokemon Center, I received a message that I had never seen before: Nurse Joy told me that I had contracted Pokerus. So, not only had that Gastly been shiny, but it ALSO had Pokerus. If you're not aware, the odds for encountering a Pokemon with Pokerus are actually LOWER than the odds for encountering a shiny.

What are the freaking odds that I'd find one with BOTH? (Seriously, what are the odds? I'm sure there's some math master out there that can tell me. The odds of a shiny are 1/8192, and the odds of Pokerus are 3/65536. Get on that, math nerds.)
Fairly sure you'd just multiply the probabilities together, so that gives you a probability of 0.0000000056 of both happening at once. To be statistically certain of it happen once, you'd have to catch random Pokemon 178957002.43 times, which gives odds of 1/178957001, rounding down. It's been a while since I did probability, so if I screwed up the calculations feel free to correct me :)As for myself, assuming Red Gyrados don't count, I've never run into any shinies.
I think this is right since I doubt there's a connection between these two.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I think I've seen two. I forget what the first one was but the second one was a shinny Magikarp... In HeartGold. The game is taunting me.

Xukog

May 21, 2011
I have found a single shiny pokemon. It was a shiny weedle in firered.I caught it,evolved it,and then banked it and pretty much never used it again.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I'd say I'm rather lucky with shiny pokemon.

In Silver I found maybe 5 or seven shiny pokemon even the infamous "shiny pidgey" but I only caught maybe 2 of them since most were pokemon I wasn't interested in. It doesn't matter now since the save battery died.

In Emerald I found a shiny shroomish but the save was lost in the wash...

In Diamond/Platinum I found a shiny wooper and unown E

In White/White 2 I found a shiny audino in White and a shiny sewaddle on the first day of White 2!

I'm currently trying to get a shiny electivire and beartic via masuda method and... it's taking a while. Most of my boxes are filled up with cubchoo and elekids

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
-Caterpie (Back in G/S/C. It was the single best thing ever)
-Metagross (Good nature- use it online, the best thing I've ever seen)
-Chandelure (because Ev-ing on them for HOURS)
-Typhlosion (purplephlosion. Traded to friend for an event legendary)
-Haxorus (Blaxorus! looks awesome, gave to friend because I have no desire to ever use a Haxorus. Didn't want to waste it)
-Ditto (Jaw dropping moment of seeing this in the wild.)

-Electrode. It selfdestructed. I nearly cried

And a couple of other ones that I just didn't like (foonguss, Bidoof(!))

Yeah, I've done a lot of pokémon over the years. Like a lot.

Got pokérus twice in the wild as well.

Fuck me right?

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
scorptatious said:
I have never found a shiny in my time playing Pokemon. I've spent maybe over a 100 hours in Diamond and at least 50 hours in White and I have never seen one.

I never even knew shinies existed until about two or three years ago.
Hah, I'm not surprised you haven't seen any shinies. I do intensive EV training in my games, so basically I end up battling maybe ~100 wild pokemon an hour, and in 500 hours on White I only ever saw one- a shiny Litwick. Unless you're extremely lucky, you gotta spend that much time to see one. I've seen two other shinies over >1000 hours in pokemon games- a zubat in Leafgreen and a Geodude in Diamond.
Of course, my hacking friends have loads of them. One has a shiny darkrai which he brings out every time we do Ubers battles. Such a shame that Scarf Terrakion can 1HKO it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Ding ding, chalk up another.
I got that weird infectious thing though... Evo? Pokesomething? I forget.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Leemaster777 said:

Wait, wait, wait. The odds of pokerus are lower than getting a shiny? How come every game since pokerus is introduced I've had a plague of the damned thing? Seriously, on platinum I've got about 15 in my pc spreading it to my other pokemon.

Anyway, I'm pretty lucky/unlucky with my shinies. On silver I got a shiny abra (although on that game you could hardly tell it was shiny without the sparkle effect), on Ruby I got a shiny Zigzagoon and evolved it to a shiny Linoone (which btw was beautiful and won the master contest for beauty), on Emerald I got a shiny Sandshrew I knocked out and on Platinum I got a shiny Bidoof which I never used. So you see, I quite regularly get one, it's just it is almost always something really weak.

Captcha: There is no spoon
My god...

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I found a Shiny Lilipup once.

It was like finding a Diamond the size of a testicle only to be tld its fashioned from the carbon of your cremated family.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I've never found a shiny either, OP :( I'm a Shiny Virgin too! I've been playing since gen 1, I've poured all those hours in too. I want one :(

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
I have never seen a shiny...

isn't there a non-cheat way to get shinys...walk into rustling grass patches using a device in a row or something?with some repel

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
I've played through Leaf Green around 10 times and clocked up hundreds of hours but, so far, no shiny

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
For the longest time I was in the same boat. I watched a friend get two shinies back to back, watched another find a shiny legendary, etc. Then finally Pokemon Black came out, and I was loving it. I said aloud that I really like this game. The game must have been pleased, as the next battle I ran into was with a shiny Deerling that I caught just by hucking a Premier Ball at. It stayed in my team the rest of the game, and helped me slay N and Ghetsis.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I found a shiny Fearow. A bit disappointing to be honest. Seriously, look at it!

It was caught in Fire Red. I named it... Helmaroc.

Pockydon

Feb 26, 2012
I've played Diamond twice, Platinum once and White once, spending over 50 hours in each playthrough, and I have never seen a shiny pokemon. I've just started a Diamond nuzlocke (may god have mercy on my soul) so hopefully i'll find one.