Pokemon: Are you loyal to your starter type?

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
With the release of Pokemon Black and White just beyond the horizon I'm sure all the pokemon fans out there are buzzing with excitement.

We all know when you start pokemon there are only three types you can choose (apart from in the awesome but forgotten pokemon yellow) fire, water and grass.

So my question to you is what type do you choose?

For me no matter what the pokemon looks like I have always gone for the fire type pokemon. Fortunately I've been lucky that none of the fire types have looked horrendous however I'm not a big fan of the new fire type starter in pokemon black and white.

That's why I am thinking of abandoning my love for fire and switching over to the more elegant grass type.

With that in mind no matter how bad the pokemon are I always keep my original starter in my party. Call it...loyalty? Or stupidity whatever you want.

Are you the same?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
No. I choose that which I like best of the three. If it is a fire, it usually gets dumped when I get my hands on a torchic.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I generally like Grass types, but I don't always go with that type for my first playthrough. I love the Normal type most of all, so I'll end up with increasing numbers of Normal-types at the end of each game.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
I never abandon my starter.....<_<

Alright, I admit to abandoning my Meganium....It should never have evolved >_>

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
I usually chose the fire type and level him to insane levels, and because fire can plow through most types in singleplayer I almost don't need anyone else.

Lt. Dragunov

Sep 25, 2008
I always have a spot in my heart for the starter pokemon. There is always a spot reserved for it on my err... poke' belt?

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
Who Dares Wins said:
I usually chose the fire type and level him to insane levels, and because fire can plow through most types in singleplayer I almost don't need anyone else.
Yeah I'm replaying pokemon ruby, my numel scorches everyone.

huigho1215

Sep 26, 2010
I usually go with the water so I don't have to worry about not being able to surf, but after my first playthrough I generally never use the starter.
I figure it just takes up a spot and I then save 6 open slots for whatever I want rather than 5.

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
I never abandon my starter pokemon, heck my starter pokemon is normally the only one I use.
I once did a full run of blue with only my Blastoise and a few HM slaves. >.>
That and I tend to like ice and water pokemon.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I used to pick the fire starter all the time. Decided to go with Turtwig on my Pearl playthrough. Best decision I could have made. Chimchar blew ass.

Prolly go with grass again for Black and White.

I actually decided to trade myself an Absol and Dratini in my most recent Soul Silver playthrough. I released my starter into the wild and never looked back.

Starters, in my mind, are meant to get you through the game. Once I finish the Elite 4, screw them. They're of no use to me in competitive play.

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
FrostyChick said:
I never abandon my starter pokemon, heck my starter pokemon is normally the only one I use.
Gold was the worst for HM's. I had to really think about my party because there were so many HM's!!

Nov 12, 2010
I keep mine at least until end game.
As for what I choose,I usually avoid the water type due to the 3 hm cost,but no other guarantee other then that

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
Isla said:
FrostyChick said:
Gold was the worst for HM's. I had to really think about my party because there were so many HM's!!
I do that with most games. I pick the water starter and do a playthrough using only that. It's not actually that hard to do.

slaaneshi611

Feb 14, 2011
I always go with the Grass Type. I guess I just like a challenge. That said, I always end up with roughly the same party anyway.
But yeah, I start with the Grass Type, I finish with the Grass Type, that hasn't changed since the good ole days of Pokémon Red and Blue, it's always on my poké-belt.

Ophi

Jun 28, 2009
I always use my starter, but I don't have a specific type preference.

Charizard, Feraligatr, Blaziken, Torterra, Serperior.

I'll love them forever. <3

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Always choose water type first time and I have never in my 12 years of playing, chosen a grass type. They do not interest me in the slightest.

And it is forever in my party.

ChippedShoulder

Nov 10, 2010
OP I'm exactly the same as you. Always went for fire, now switching to grass. Fire type is horrendous in Black and White.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Isla said:
With the release of Pokemon Black and White just beyond the horizon I'm sure all the pokemon fans out there are buzzing with excitement.

We all know when you start pokemon there are only three types you can choose (apart from in the awesome but forgotten pokemon yellow) fire, water and grass.

So my question to you is what type do you choose?

For me no matter what the pokemon looks like I have always gone for the fire type pokemon. Fortunately I've been lucky that none of the fire types have looked horrendous however I'm not a big fan of the new fire type starter in pokemon black and white.

That's why I am thinking of abandoning my love for fire and switching over to the more elegant grass type.

With that in mind no matter how bad the pokemon are I always keep my original starter in my party. Call it...loyalty? Or stupidity whatever you want.

Are you the same?
The grass type in this game sucks too.

OT: I dont know, I've kinda alternated. I went with squirtle in Blue cause it was the pokemon on the cover, and a turtle which at the time was AWESOME (dont give me that look, I was like, 8. maybe younger, I forget when Blue came out). Then in yellow I obviously had eevee (XD kidding) I mean pikachu.

Gold/Silver I went with cyndaquil, cause I realized fire types are really hard to find.

Ruby/Sapphire I kinda deviated. In the first (ruby) I went with mudkip cause I wanted to get back ot my roots, and it didnt seem like I would get a strong match up at the first gym with a torchic. But in Sapphire I picked torchic and stuck with him to get the blaziken.

In Leaf Green, I went with Bulbasaur, cause I wanted to go with the grass type. So far, Venasuar has been the only half way decent grass starter I've been able to use competitively.

Pearl I went with Piplup. it was a penguin, and it got to be an empoleon. How awesome is that?! I mean, you get and automatic steel typing. Besides, I didnt like the idea of a second straight fire/fighitng, and I had a blaziken waiting for me.

This generation, i'm going iwth the Oshawott, cause the other two seem weak by comparison.