Pokemon Black and White Version 2 Review

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Pokemon Black and White Version 2 Review

It's more of the same, but you?ll still want to catch ?em all

Read Full Article

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Black and White are still the only generation I haven't finished but I may give it another go with this.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I'm glad the preorder bonus is oh so unimpressive. I can give it a pass until Black Friday or later. Still want to do this, just because of how much I loved B/W compared to any other game other than HG/SS.

ItemCrisis

Sep 17, 2012
There is nothing I can do about it. Ever since the first game, each new one really is the same thing over and over again, but I am addicted. This is compounded by the fact that I have no new 3DS game to play instead. Here we go again...

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
DustlessDragoon said:
Black and White are still the only generation I haven't finished but I may give it another go with this.
Same here.

I didn't have it in me to finish the White. I just didn't like any of the new Pokemon desgins (except Snivy, Roggenrola, and Emolga. Those guys were boss) and I felt like the battles felt a little same-y after a while.

But I will not say that it was terrible. I liked the story and walking to the Elite 4 on Victory Road was epic. I really loved how all of the music layered.

Anyway, I can't wait to pick this one up. Battling all of the past gym leaders and champions will be a good challenge. :D

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
indentured servitude away. what the theme song should have been:
I wanna be the very best
like no one ever was
to enslave them is my real test
to own them is my cause

I will travel across the land
searching far, and wide
each pokemon to do the work
the power I control

I think this is a lot more accurate.
captcha: dog's dinner. oh ownership.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I'm glad to see they are starting to make use of the systems graphical capabilities, aside from Stadium etc is this the first main Pokemon game to have 3d graphics in it? I'm curious, I don't play them but I used to, from red up to silver.

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
Black and White were the first game that I played competitively. And mastered. So I am so psyched for Black 2! FINALLY I CAN CATCH AN EEVEE AND GROWLITHE!!!! Woo!

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
It baffles me that people actually review the main pokemon games which remain unchanged from pretty much gold/silver onwards (except for recolouring... everything D: )
Nothing has changed and I can already forsee the "innovation" of the next pokemon game (aside from another 100ish of them pokemans):

QUADRUPLE BATTLES (quintuple if they're feeling generous)

*sigh*

Hey, capcom, gamefreaks, you're so hot on cross-overs nowadays. How about a monster hunter/pokemon game? I long for hunting down a herd of zebstrika and blitzle while actually riding on my muthafucking arcanine or actually explore a mind-blowing distortion world.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
You know what I would like? A pokémon game that just doesn't follow suit. One like a tale of shin megami tensei, but with a happier start, a middle and then an end. And the gym leaders would be optional except for the first one. The badges give interesting benefits, but would discard the whole 'pokémon will keep disobeying you if you don't have this badge.'

That is wishful thinking though. And I do agree, whenever I felt I wanted to train pokémon, well I would buy a pokémon. However, I'll probably be waiting for the next gen to come out and pass on this gen. I've got enough games to finish as it is.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
TJC said:
It baffles me that people actually review the main pokemon games which remain unchanged from pretty much gold/silver onwards (except for recolouring... everything D: )
Nothing has changed and I can already forsee the "innovation" of the next pokemon game (aside from another 100ish of them pokemans):

*sigh*

Hey, capcom, gamefreaks, you're so hot on cross-overs nowadays. How about a monster hunter/pokemon game? I long for hunting down a herd of zebstrika and blitzle while actually riding on my muthafucking arcanine or actually explore a mind-blowing distortion world.
"Nothing changes...ever"

This comment is invalid when a new Madden is released. It is invalid when a new CoD or Halo or FF is released. It is invalid when a new Pokemon is released. A lot of stuff is changed, but if you only look at the superficial, you won't see it.

OT: Like the games, don't own a DS, so...
Actually Halo changes, its quite the stereo type that Halo 3 is the exact same as Halo: Reach.....

Pokemon is no exception, it changes enough to be different from its predecessors, yes you have the same gameplay and usage but it changes enough to feel and flow totally different.

The Knightly Gamer

Jan 5, 2011
karloss01 said:
So basically its a GOTY edition. i would think about it if i had a 3DS.
It's for the DS so you can still play. I dont think enough 3DS have sold yet for Nintendo to risk a 3DS only Pokemon game.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
TJC said:

*sigh*

"Nothing changes...ever"

This comment is invalid when a new Madden is released. It is invalid when a new CoD or Halo or FF is released. It is invalid when a new Pokemon is released. A lot of stuff is changed, but if you only look at the superficial, you won't see it.

OT: Like the games, don't own a DS, so...
Oh yes, the introduction of EVs and IVs, egg-moves, breeding, natures etc added a lot to promote a pretty decent competitive experience and I do think that gamefreaks will continue to hone and build that background to give more to players who want more out of the games. The overworld and dungeons are vastly different and there are new monsters that freshen up my teams. also, there's always some sort of other competition or play or thing going on but I could never give enough of crap because I was a manly man and manly man's pokemon need to BATTLE!

Still, the comparisons don't really hold. CoD and especially FF always had new things to offer that were new for both fans of the series and newcomer. And I see that kids who never played a pokemon game before won't have any of these issues I have. But after 6 games (blue, silver, emerald, diamond, heartgold and white) is it asking for much to avoid some of the cookiecutter things? Like not being a 10-year-old boy (or GIRL) out to become Pokemon Master by beating progressively stronger gymleaders and eventually the best four trainers plus master while beating one or two ominous teams with a hidden/evil agenda on the way.

They don't even have to deviate from the "collect 8 MacGuffins to unlock boss rush" formula. Instead of badges make it elemental stones required to save the world or something. And you have to fight your rival for possession of these again and again because he beat you to the chase or something. ANYTHING, really to make the experience feel new again.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
The Knightly Gamer said:
karloss01 said:
So basically its a GOTY edition. i would think about it if i had a 3DS.
It's for the DS so you can still play. I dont think enough 3DS have sold yet for Nintendo to risk a 3DS only Pokemon game.
Really? oh i'll consider it then.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Of all of the things I'm looking forward to in these games, the music is amongst the top of the list. GameFreak outdid themselves with the music they put together.

Not to mention with the Pokemon World Tournament, you can face off against all of your favorite Gym Leaders and Champions from the past. I am SO looking forward to kicking Cynthia's arse all over the place...again.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
I'll get it, cause god damn, fuck you statistics! You drive me to battle! ...EV and IV *shudder*

But one thing, I want my leading pokemon to follow me around like in heartgold/soulsilver/Yellow

Nintendo; why isn't that a staple of the franchise yet!?!

My Gardevoir should not be confined to a damn pokeball

Neither should my Ponyta