Pokemon Black & White Changing More Than You Think

standokan

May 28, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
I kinda want to buy Black, but I don't like the White Pokémon [sub](You know, the feathery jet thing)[/sub] that's in Black so... gaah!
Watch out for the reversed psychology!

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I'm probably going to get the version that the least amount of people will get.

Edit: I hope there's a dark-type gym.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
John Funk said:
Unfortunately, seeing as how I don't speak a lick of Japanese other than what I've picked up from anime over the years, I can't make heads or tails from the rest of the video. The best I can come up with is that you'll be able to make your Pokemon take naps, and then your Pokemon can dream that they're battling and capturing other Pokemon, only it'll actually happen.
Ok, I'm being lazy here so I'm only bothering with the non-listing shit bit, starting from 1 minute in and ending 2 minutes in. Note that most of the time they read out the subtitles when they pop up but not always. I included the Japanese subtitle transcript too so you can go google translate that shit to check if you really wish.

If the transcript looks like a clusterflock, then thats pretty much the vibe of the video. For that reason, I'm sorry if I missed any snippets, I'm not really interested in this as I've only played the first pokemon games and I likely won't be playing these but this seemed a good spontaneous opportunity for some language practice.

Here goes:

[List of "rivals, as if Nintendo videogame characters were more than one-dimensional: yawn]

[0:51]
IMAGE: What looks like Tron and a disturbingly Aoikigahara-like forest. Labels are "black city" and "white forest" respectively.
SUBS: マップ上の同じところに全くちゃう場所が存在する。 "In the same locations on the map there are freaking completely different places."
VOICE: "This be totally new information!!!111oneoneone"

VIDEO: A reskinned street. Title is "a certain street's appearance".
SUBS: 同じ街なのみ見た目が全くちゃう街もある "These are the same street, but to the eye they look completely different.""

VOICE: "Check the website for more."
ED NOTE: Is that guy sporting Godwin's Law on his UPPER LIP?

TEXT: Pokemon Global Link
IMAGE: Bad web-design.
SUBS: パソコン連動tでポケモンは新たな次元へ "With computer linkage, Pokemon takes a novel new perspective..."

VIDEO: Screen reading "Would you like to put this Duck-emon to sleep?"
SUBS: DSでポケモンを1匹眠らせることが出来る! "Through your DS, you can put one animal to sleep..."
ED NOTE: Japanese euphamisms for death are largely the same as English, right down to the sarcastic usages so I WTF'd until I saw the よろしい on the next line on the screen - I can assure you this does mean literal sleep, not "taking behind the back shed" sleep but its not made clear immediately.
VOICE: "Starting from your DS, you will give it Pokemon Global Link [website] access."

VIDEO: Pokemon dreaming their games were less pixellated.
VOICE: "HOWEVER... the pokemon are playing in their dreams!!!11ワン"
SUB: 眠らせたポケモンの夢の中遊べる "In the dreams of the Pokemons you've sent to bed, they're playing."

IMAGE: Pikachu
SUB: 一緒以外の地方のポケモンに出会う "Pokemons together in the same region can have chance meetings and playdates."
ED NOTE: I swear "play" has become a decidedly sinister euphamism here.

IMAGE: Pikachu about to get mugged.
VOICE: "In the world of Pokemon, you can take another Pokemon on."
SUB: ポケモンをDSに連れて行くことが出来る。 "The thing is, you can take another Pokemon on."

IMAGE: Colourful web design.
SUB: 自分がどれだけ強いのかいつでもチェック出来る! "Which of your Pokemon is strongest? Now you can check anytime!"
VOICE: "For the sake of online battles, you can check which Pokemon is stongest."

[2:01]
ED NOTE: Excited voice is still excited.
[2 minutes of listing new Pokemons]

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
edthehyena said:
kevo.mf.last said:
how was yellow not better than red and blue you got all three starters within the first 2-4 hours of the game. I wish they made every third release game like that.
Unlike the other 3rd games, Yellow had a weaker story, less interesting characters (Jesse and James), and you had to have that stupid pikachu following you around all the time. By making it more in line with the show, they made the game more childish than Red/Blue. Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum each took that generation's story a bit farther.
makes sense. I personally ditched the pikachu as soon as I got all of the real starters but thats not really the point on your post. thanks for clarifying.

MaVeN1337

Feb 19, 2009
Doxcology said:
I'd definitely spring for Black version, Black City sounds badass.
Black city? Sounds like there would be stabbings and everyone would be on welfare.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
I like the look of white forest, so I'll probably go with that.

I hope Nintendo of America keeps the names Black and White. Of course, there's always the chance they'll chicken out and call it 'Light and Dark" or "Sun and Eclipse" or "Salt and Pepper" or something.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
The Black version will be longer and more satisfying.

These differences make someone want to buy both, up until now I've been buying one and buying the other for my brother.

InvisibleMan

Mar 26, 2009
The concept of the Light and Dark cities reminds me a lot of Atlus' DemiKids series on the GameBoy Advance, actually...

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
A while ago I thought to myself "Man, I've sure been reading a lot about pokemon later", then I paused for a moment and realized "no wait, all of it was written by John funk" :p. Man you're into this the same way I was 10 years ago

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I am leaning on Black since that's my favourite colour, but I'll see what my friend and my sister will get so we got one of each and can trade to get the ones we otherwise can't get.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
It's a nice idea to have differing locales in B&W. The White Forest sounds very interesting.