Pokemon Direct 6am PT Feb 27

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Elfgore said:
I like the starters to my surprise. That water one is going to evolve into something amazing (it better) and the bunny better have a form called Hopanero. The region looks pretty solid too!

Just please, don't be like Sun and Moon. That's my only need. Just don't grab my hand and force me to play shitty mini-games or alternate forms of battles and let me maybe actually explore a little bit.
Moon was the first game where I actually stalled out.

And I forgot that for some reason, so I bought Ultra Sun and did it again.

I like that the games have more story than "be the best and beat then Elite 4! Collect 'em all, which you'll never do unless you're super obsessive and have been playing and transferring for years!" but they can do that without being boring.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Something Amyss said:
Elfgore said:
I like the starters to my surprise. That water one is going to evolve into something amazing (it better) and the bunny better have a form called Hopanero. The region looks pretty solid too!

Just please, don't be like Sun and Moon. That's my only need. Just don't grab my hand and force me to play shitty mini-games or alternate forms of battles and let me maybe actually explore a little bit.
Moon was the first game where I actually stalled out.

And I forgot that for some reason, so I bought Ultra Sun and did it again.

I like that the games have more story than "be the best and beat then Elite 4! Collect 'em all, which you'll never do unless you're super obsessive and have been playing and transferring for years!" but they can do that without being boring.
I agree. I found myself really annoyed playing through Ultra Sun. I really really wished they let me skip the bullshit story because it was lame.

I get that it is supposed to be a simple story for a younger audience so everyone can understand it. But there were so many sections that were just long winded and all I wanted was for the same to shut the fuck up so I could catch some shit.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Marik2 said:
WhiteFangofWhoa said:
So the evil team du jour is going to be... Team King? Team Rook(et) with a Chess motif? Team Wanker? Team Brexit?

Whatever the case, it looks good so far, hope the map is large. I like the grass starter.
Theres probably going to be an evil team that will be a not so subtle allegory for Brexit.
Why would Japan give a shit about brexit?
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/01/16/world/politics-diplomacy-world/u-k-press-lambastes-humiliated-crushed-theresa-may-massive-brexit-defeat/#.XH53VfZFzDc
https://news.sky.com/story/japans-unprecedented-warning-to-uk-over-brexit-10564585

And that Japanese have been mocking the Brexit may have something to do with it.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
undeadsuitor said:
Why would Japan give a shit about brexit?
They cared enough to move their car production lines to Japan, so there's that.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
undeadsuitor said:
That's not dumbing down though. It's simply making the change visual.

Dumbing down would be getting rid of those stats[/quote]
Instead of fighting to rise the stats (and taking care to not fight Pokemon that would rise a stat you don't want), you play a mini-game that raises a specific one.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
The Irish memes are ace but I am partial to the just do it Sobble memes myself.

Now, on an interesting topic, I read that gamefreak said they won't do dlc, though I bet they'll still eventually release a third version of sword/shield down the line with improvements and maybe new forms and what have you. This kinda feels worse to me than dlc but somehow doesn't have the same bad rep as dlc so I figured I'd bring it up here. I have the same nostalgia as the next guy who played pokemon back when red and blue had just come out but I can't help thinking that a dlc for Lance or whatever they call the third game would be better than a whole separate new disc. That way they can also add to the story of the game and not have you replay most of it a second time to get to the new stuff.

undeadsuitor said:
CaitSeith said:
undeadsuitor said:
That's not dumbing down though. It's simply making the change visual.

Dumbing down would be getting rid of those stats
Instead of fighting to rise the stats (and taking care to not fight Pokemon that would rise a stat you don't want), you play a mini-game that raises a specific one.
Mini-games that take the same amount of time and effort as battling whatever specific pokemon you looked up from a wiki

because that's the only way you could understand IVs. you had to look them up on a wiki because the game simply didn't tell or convey them to players until the same time they introduced the mini-games.

So here we have stats. So invisible and pointless that 90% of players never bothered, or even knew they existed, that instead of getting rid of (because they have such a minor impact) they instead created a new system for players to interact with.

the opposite of dumbing down.
A single point of speed IVs can determine who goes first with their attack which can change the outcome of a battle easily. You can say one point of defense or Satt won't matter most of the time but speed's different.

Also, IVs are not raised by battling pokemon. Those are EVs (effort values). IVs (individual values) are innate to a poke and used to never change, you just kept breeding new pokes and hoped they are RNGd into existence with good IVs while doing some fiddling with parents who have high IVs in required stats which allows the egg to inherit some of those stats too. (mainly a bunch of Dittos with 31 in speed and Satt/att/hp or what have you)

Also they introduced Hyper Training in the last gen to allow players to affect those stats so they're embracing them instead of ignoring them or moving away from them.

Ultimately, the idea of the system is to make pokemon into individuals and not have every single lvl 100 mewtwo have the same exact stats, since that way they illustrate the different journeys the players took. It's fine in theory, they just could not predict how competitive battling and metagaming would evolve back in 1995 and they don't consider that facet of the audience their core playerbase so they just left the system in to do the thing it was intended to do and whether or not the competitive folks all spent 3000 hours to breed a perfect IV charmander or not was not really their concern. I was actually surprised they even did as much as acknowledge the systems existing. It'd be like incorporating the mathematical equation of pokeballs catching something into the actual game lol. (CatchValue = ((( 3 * Max HP - 2 * HP ) * (Catch Rate * Ball Modifier ) / (3 * Max HP) ) * Status Modifier)

The lets go games were just something else entirely. They were introductory games and ones aiming to capitalize at the popularity of pokemon go with normies who hadn't touched a pokemon game before go for a good decade and a half (if ever), which is why it was set in Kanto region and not in the latest region from the 3DS games that they already had 3D models for and would need to only upscale and not recreate from scratch. It didn't have abilities and items and so on cause that's not really necessary for that audience.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Something Amyss said:
I honestly can't remember the last time I had a fire-type starter. Flamebunny looks awesome, though.

WhiteFangofWhoa said:
So the evil team du jour is going to be... Team King? Team Rook(et) with a Chess motif? Team Wanker? Team Brexit?
Team John Oliver.
Nah... Team Jamie Oliver, stealing all the kids food and making them eat healthily.

Tosser.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
rosac said:
Something Amyss said:
I honestly can't remember the last time I had a fire-type starter. Flamebunny looks awesome, though.

WhiteFangofWhoa said:
Team John Oliver.
Nah... Team Jamie Oliver, stealing all the kids food and making them eat healthily.

Tosser.
I can see him using Snorlax and trying to get it to go on a diet. A Sisyphean task if there ever was one.