Pokemon: The Christian Playthrough

Sidremus

Mar 14, 2011
imnotparanoid said:
Its funny because people are getting offended.

OT:This sounds like fun, I would try it if I had Pokemon
I KNOW DONT QUOTE ME SAYING :0 Y U NO HAVE POKEMON!
Y U NO HAVE POKEMAN?
srsly though, ur either over 50 yrs old or had no childhood!

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Arfonious said:
Isn't it very unchristian to get offended like that?

You know the whole don't strike back stuff that Jesus talked about? A lot of christians seems to forget about that.
Being offended is a pretty human response.

How we choose to express it is what matters, and so far in this thread that has been rather mild.
Matthew 5, 38-48

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Kimarous said:
Speaking as a Christian (and a Protestant at that), this is in bad taste. Even if you do mean for it to be tongue-in-cheek, it still comes across as mean-spirited and trying to paint Christians as ignorant and closed-minded. The "avoid science labs at all possible" rule feels particularly insulting.

Oh, and OP? When you feel the need to ask the mods to not ban you, I think that should clue you in on how well this will go over.
Oh relax, I've got a pretty sensitive religious bashing radar and this is perfectly alright.

If you can't make fun of yourself in the slightest you've got to lighten up.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I'm not a christian but I hope those who are can see this is a joke. People can live with a little offense in their lives so who cares if someone mocks your beliefs? I don't really have a side or care about the atheism/religion debate and I don't care when people tell me I am going to hell for being a non believing monster. /rant

OT: Looks like a decent challenge. :D

goldendriger

Dec 21, 2010
Lol @ all the butt hurt christians. Honestly everyone makes digs at religion think you'd be immune to it by now.
Although 1 rule could be you have to use the 1st level of whatever you have, afterall i heard priests love hanging around with children...Also no potions, only Sister Joy can heal the wounded!

Jun 11, 2008
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Hey guys, me and some buddies were working on a set of rules for a Christian play-through of Pokemon just for giggles, starting with the rule that Pokemon can't evolve. *bu-dum, tish*

We have an image and a list now, so can you tell me if it's any good and provide suggestions for rules?

[small](Note: Yes, it's not exactly PC, and some might find this offensive, but I swear it's all in good fun, not to mention one of the guys who made it was Christian. Please don't flame about religion, and don't ban me please, mods?)[/small]

EDIT: If you feel the first picture was too stereotypical of all Christians, here is a more factually accurate alternative:

Oh, and hey, would making people use berries to heal because modern medicine is playing God be going too far?

...Yeah, I thought so...
Protestants are Christians if you are going to do a mock up of something do it right. Also I really don't see the problem with Dark or Ghost pokemon being used.

Ympulse said:
Kimarous said:
Speaking as a Christian (and a Protestant at that), this is in bad taste. Even if you do mean for it to be tongue-in-cheek, it still comes across as mean-spirited and trying to paint Christians as ignorant and closed-minded. The "avoid science labs at all possible" rule feels particularly insulting.
Truth hurts, donnit?
You should probably get a bandage and some cream as you are about to get burned [http://www.independent.co.uk/news/vaticans-slow-evolution-as-it-discovers-darwin-1359958.html]. We have accept evolution as true so get over yourself. May be a bit more like Futurama but it is still accepted.

Also I'd like to know how tongue in cheek people would consider it if it was another world religion or set of ideals. You should really do an Atheist version though or something to that effect..

OT If you want another rule you must nickname your Pokemon with Biblical names although just to really avoid pissing some people off you could probably leave out Jesus.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Arfonious said:
Casual Shinji said:
Arfonious said:

You know the whole don't strike back stuff that Jesus talked about? A lot of christians seems to forget about that.

How we choose to express it is what matters, and so far in this thread that has been rather mild.
Matthew 5, 38-48
Yeah, maybe if you programmed that into a robot that would work, but every human will ultimately get offended no matter how much they turn the other cheek. I don't care if you're a Buddhist monk.

Just like how every atheist can get scared even when there's no logical sense behind it.

And there's nothing wrong by feeling offended when someone trashes you're believes, as long as you don't turn hateful and violent about the matter.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Arfonious said:
Casual Shinji said:
Arfonious said:

Matthew 5, 38-48
Yeah, maybe if you programmed that into a robot that would work, but every human will ultimately get offended no matter how much they turn the other cheek. I don't care if you're a Buddhist monk.

Just like how every atheist can get scared even when there's no logical sense behind it.

And there's nothing wrong by feeling offended when someone trashes you're believes, as long as you don't turn hateful and violent about the matter.
I do agree that it is very human to get offended but to act it out is very unchristian

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
I'm more offended that you're not keeping this to the original 151 series. I have no idea who some of those Pokemon are >: /old person

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
PurpleLeafRave said:
I feel this is needed.
Seriously, I'm a Christian and I find this funny.
THAT'S MY LINE!
Not the Christian thing, Steve Hughes. I always post him in these threads, he is a very wise man.
Anyway, as people have said, this is satire. The OP specifically said it's all in good fun, that he's well aware this is by no means an accurate representation of christians and yadda yadda yadda. If you are really offended by this, for some reason, well yeah, I refer you to the above video. Anyway, with the new image I reckon there's no reason to complain.

Oh, as for what I think. Genius, I quite like it... I feel like there's not too much challenge there, except maybe the no evolution rule. Oh, and the egg thing will be annoying unless I remember who not to talk to. But yeah, good job. I was thinking of trying a Nuzlocke run sometime soon, maybe I'll do this first as a warmup.

JFrog84

Jan 13, 2011
Arfonious said:
Casual Shinji said:
Arfonious said:

Matthew 5, 38-48
poimt me to the exact verse where it talks about being offended. It also never mentions not telling someone if you belive them to be wrong. If you want verses that back up what people are saying then try Leviticus 19, 17 or 1 Timothy 5, 1. If your going to quote scripture then make sure you understand the context.

Hope this answers your questions

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Arfonious said:
Casual Shinji said:
Arfonious said:
Casual Shinji said:
Arfonious said:

Matthew 5, 38-48

I do agree that it is very human to get offended but to act it out is very unchristian
Every Christian is a little un-Christian.

Just because someone is Christian doesn't mean they have the Bible downloaded into there brain as a set of unbreakable directives. Maybe some people do, but they're the loonies.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Sidremus said:
imnotparanoid said:
Its funny because people are getting offended.

OT:This sounds like fun, I would try it if I had Pokemon
I KNOW DONT QUOTE ME SAYING :0 Y U NO HAVE POKEMON!
Y U NO HAVE POKEMAN?
srsly though, ur either over 50 yrs old or had no childhood!
Well I never really played games until a few years ago, and i dont want to spend money on a DS I will barley use :3

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
KoalaKid said:
This is insensitive, even with your "a christian helped me make it" bit its obviously insulting. Also the idea that all Christian's disagree with evolution is false.
Someone needs to relax, take a deep breath and to try and take a joke.

It's a light hearted joke with a little comical jab at some of the sillier parts of Christian beliefs, I'm sure they're confident enough in their beliefs that they aren't going to be reduced to tears by something like this (God is a big boy, I'm sure he has a sense of humour).

What precisely is so insulting about this? Please do enlighten, sorry, inform me (can't use the 'E' word, there might be a Buddhist in here who'll take it the wrong way).

EDIT: Also, shouldn't potions be banned too? After all, that would be using heathen magics and witchcraft (we can't be consorting with the Devil now).

Apocalypse0Child

May 21, 2009
1) I'm a christian.
2) I'm compeltely disguste.. lol just kidding, I'm nearly pissing myself, this is brilliant. Made my day xD

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
JFrog84 said:
Arfonious said:
Casual Shinji said:
Arfonious said:

Matthew 5, 38-48
poimt me to the exact verse where it talks about being offended. It also never mentions not telling someone if you belive them to be wrong. If you want verses that back up what people are saying then try Leviticus 19, 17 or 1 Timothy 5, 1. If your going to quote scripture then make sure you understand the context.

Perhapps it's all about how you interperate the texts.
Two things I have to add:
1: Nothing was said about revenge in the given Leviticus chapters
2: Didn't Jesus "overrule" most of the first Testament? A big part of the New one is about changing the rules from the old one.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Arfonious said:
Casual Shinji said:
Arfonious said:
Casual Shinji said:
Arfonious said:

Matthew 5, 38-48

Every Christian is a little un-Christian.

Just because someone is Christian doesn't mean they have the Bible downloaded into there brain as a set of unbreakable directives. Maybe some people do, but they're the loonies.
I understand that but is a bit confused. Because if god made everything and made everything perfect, then why did he make it almost impossible to be a good christian?

JFrog84

Jan 13, 2011
Arfonious said:
JFrog84 said:
Arfonious said:
Casual Shinji said:
Arfonious said:

Matthew 5, 38-48

Perhapps it's all about how you interperate the texts.
Two things I have to add:
1: Nothing was said about revenge in the given Leviticus chapters
2: Didn't Jesus "overrule" most of the first Testament? A big part of the New one is about changing the rules from the old one.
1. It's not about revenge, is anyone here trying to get revenge? Or are they just saying either your wrong or it's in bad taste? That would be a rebuke, so Leviticus fits.

2. No, it's a common misconception. Mathew 5, 17-20