Pokemon X and Y Introduces "Mega" Evolutions

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
I was fine until I saw Blaziken on the list. As someone who plays competitively, Blaziken does NOT need to be more OP than it already is. IT'S IN FREAKING UBERS! IT DOES NOT NEED MORE POWER!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
JSoup said:
Silly name aside, my first thought was that there better be a MegaMagikarp in the works.
After seeing that Magikarp sweep I fear that Pokemon would be far too powerful for anyone to ever defeat. Then again, it defeated Arceus...

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Kangaskhan is confirmed to have a mega form:

Her mega ability, Parental Bond, allows her to attack twice in one turn.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
Yeah, this is really stupid. i stopped playing the latest games because I felt like they were stretching it with the newer Pokemon. This pretty much confirms that since they go the Shonen approach. Can't think of a way to further a series? Already introduced too many characters? Just tack on a bullshit arbitrary power boost to everyone so that there's a whole new level to explore. People tell me I'm wrong because it's still popular. Of course it's still popular, it's pokemon. When I was a kid I loved Digimon, but I can still admit now that everything about it was just a way to sell merchandise to easily influenced children and barely has any artistic merit. Just because it sells doesn't mean it's good. And I would bet money that this generation will sell just as well, if not better. It's not because they've innovated with amazing new ideas and interactions, it's just because it's Pokemon.

Nosirrah

Apr 16, 2013
SuperSuperSuperGuy said:
I'm actually quite alright with this. While I'm not too sure how much I like how they look, this opens up some interesting new possibilities. Fingers crossed for MegaDunsparce!
megarattata! megacombee! megabidoof!

we need a name for this. megalution?

i'm glad i get more lucario though. fingers crossed for megarchomp!

soren7550 said:

two hyper beams... jesus christ.

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
Chessrook44 said:
"Alright, it's time for a new Pokemon game! Let's here your ideas people!"
"I don't have any."
"Very funny, now what have you got?"
"Seriously, I don't have any! I ran out of ideas when I turned the ALPHABET into Pokemon!"
"PokeGod and PokeDevil were my last ideas."
"I've just been throwing random sounds together for years!"
"Can't we just tack Mega onto the beginning of a few to make them stronger?"
"BRILLIANT! Cut it, print it, and find a way to make PokeConciences!"
PokeDevil still isn't a thing, technically. The Distortion World was more alternate reality than Hell, so Giratina doesn't quite count.

...I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, yeah, the Mega-name is dumb and they should feel dumb. Hell, MegaMewtwo was originally referred to as Awoken Mewtwo. Awoken pokemon would work much better than 'Mega,' which really does just feel tacked on. On the other hand, it's just pokemon changing form and stats (and in a couple of cases typing) when holding a particular item (their respective Mega Stones), which happens to already be a thing that exists. Origin Giratina says hello:

It was a nice move introducing Mega forms with five generally-considered fan favorites (Mewtwo, Lucario, Absol, Blaziken, Ampharos)...plus the much-maligned Mawile, an example of a pokemon let down by poor stats that's getting a needed buff from the process (Huge Power? Yes, please).

I also find it amusing how much more...fashionable the Mega forms seem to look (sans Kangaskhan and arguably Mewtwo). Everyone seemed to get new hairdos except for the bald Mawile, which got a fancy new dress (and a second set of jaws, the better to eat you with), to the point where it almost seemed like they changed form purely for the sake of fashion. A theory that's helped by the fact that the game is set in PokeFrance (the Kalos Region is specifically supposed to have a focus on beauty...Mega Milotic?). Seriously, that hair is glorious.

That's another thing: the Mega pokemon honestly all look really cool, but still like pokemon. That's enough for me to look past the "OMG, something changed in Pokemon, it's the end of the franchise forever!" and just look forward to using some of these guys on my future teams (especially Mega Mawile)...plus the fact that the Mega concept is very similar to a mechanic in a fanmade pokemon project I'm a part of (where a select few pokemon hold a certain item that lets them take on a new form...including Ampharos) doesn't hurt.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I really like that Mega Kangaskhan doesn't look different but uses the Mega Stone to make its kid stronger.
And this [http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBftrqE2CQiQ&start1=0&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8pQYtmb-f0w&start2=1&authorName=Ann+O%27Nymous] is just too perfect.

nasteypenguin

Mar 2, 2011
First of all; is this a culture thing? As in, in Japan, when a thing become more powerful only certain aspects - IE hair - of said thing becomes more prominant, or is it just lack of imagination?

Either way, I think this is a good idea, most Pokemon with no evolutions are really underpowered compared to those that do, probably because it's easier to scale power with level when using evolutions. This allows them to promote the power of many pokemon without needing to change their core design.
However, although it is a good idea for Pokemon like Kangaskhan, Absol and Mawile, why do the others get this boost? Presuming not all pokemon get a mega evolution anyway, so why does an already overused Pokemon like Blaziken, or a Legendary like Mewtwo get this kind of ability?

Well, popularity, alright I'm just sore, they had better have a MegaSeviper!

Nosirrah said:
But does that mean two turns to wait? or does it mean the second move has to be used to recharge?

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
AliasBot said:
Chessrook44 said:
"Alright, it's time for a new Pokemon game! Let's here your ideas people!"
"I don't have any."
"Very funny, now what have you got?"
"Seriously, I don't have any! I ran out of ideas when I turned the ALPHABET into Pokemon!"
"PokeGod and PokeDevil were my last ideas."
"I've just been throwing random sounds together for years!"
"Can't we just tack Mega onto the beginning of a few to make them stronger?"
"BRILLIANT! Cut it, print it, and find a way to make PokeConciences!"
PokeDevil still isn't a thing, technically. The Distortion World was more alternate reality than Hell, so Giratina doesn't quite count.
I haven't played any of the games since silver, most of this was based off of hearsay about other games. Hell I don't even KNOW most of the pokemon that came after except for a specific few that I know of due to....friends.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Nosirrah said:
soren7550 said:

nasteypenguin said:
But does that mean two turns to wait? or does it mean the second move has to be used to recharge?
From what I saw, it's not so much that, as it is Kangaskhan does her thing, then lil' Khan will pop in a hit of the same type as its mother's. So, not two Hyper Beams, but a Hyper Beam and an additional normal special hit of less damage. So the recharge time will probably still apply.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
Mega-evolutions sounds pretty cool to me, devil trigger for Pokemon is not something to turn down. I just hope I get to see a mega-evolution for Krookodile as that dude looks bitchin enough as it is, he better get Simon level sunglasses or I'll be pissed.