Polish Prime Minister Gives Obama Witcher 2

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Supp said:
CM156 said:
Wicky_42 said:
CM156 said:
That's a nice gift, though I doubt Mrs Obama will be to happy about the content in that game.

Perhaps Obama should give out copies of Call of Duty or Homefront to diplomats? Worth a try...
Homefront would definitely be the best choice for the North Korean delegation ;) CoD's MW2 would have to go to the Russians, of course :D
And when Britian wants to declare war on people, they just send a copy of Fable III
"Oh god, not Fable III! Take our children, anything, but not that! Please! HAVE MERCY D:"
What would be even worse is if we forced them to buy the black dye as well! Truly, this is a force of evil!!!

OT: Even though I may like Fox news, what do you wanna bet they turn this into something negative.

May 17, 2010
CM156 said:
That's a nice gift, though I doubt Mrs Obama will be to happy about the content in that game.

Perhaps Obama should give out copies of Call of Duty or Homefront to diplomats? Worth a try...
Especially to the North Koreans.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
I'm reminded of when Obama gave the Queen an iPod on an official visit. Sounds ridiculous, but on closer inspection it turns out to be a good choice. In the example I gave, the Queen had mentioned how she hadn't upgraded to the latest version of iPod.

I think this might be another such gift choice.

Thimblefoot

May 10, 2009
This is very awesome, although I can't imagine Obama ever playing it, it's such a weird mental image.

*captcha aisist BUDDIES*

yes, captcha, I suppose we can be buddies.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Fox news story saying Obama got a toy in 3 2 1...
But in all seriousness this is awesome. Now he has something to do after his presidency ends (hopefully in 2016 and not 2012).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well while I can see where this is coming from, I tend to find it a bit sad that making a video game, even a decent one, inspires that level of national pride. Big industry, but it strikes me as being a fairly trivial product.

I also happen to wonder what kind of national recognition the guy who wrote the books that the character in the game is based off of is receiving.

I mean I'm happy Poland has a solid product that shows it's game industry is developing, but as an international gift... I don't know, it seems like an awfully big deal is being made out of something comparitively trivial.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The President should not be allowed much down time. I already think they have too much vacation time. Bush is the king of that, but Obama has not been slacking in slacking.
As cool as it would be to imagine my president as a gamer, I rather he be doing his job. When you're the president, work is always more important.

BeefSteak

Oct 3, 2007
Saelune said:
The President should not be allowed much down time. I already think they have too much vacation time. Bush is the king of that, but Obama has not been slacking in slacking.
As cool as it would be to imagine my president as a gamer, I rather he be doing his job. When you're the president, work is always more important.
Advisor: "Mr. President, it has been reported that North Korea has attained nuclear weapons with the ability to reach the western coast of the United States."
Obama: "STFU! I AM ALMOST LEVEL 70 AND I -KNOW- I AM GONNA GET A GOOD DROP OFF THIS BOSS!!!"

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
BeefSteak said:
Saelune said:
Advisor: "Mr. President, it has been reported that North Korea has attained nuclear weapons with the ability to reach the western coast of the United States."
Obama: "STFU! I AM ALMOST LEVEL 70 AND I -KNOW- I AM GONNA GET A GOOD DROP OFF THIS BOSS!!!"
Well, if he gets into Star Craft, he can ally with South Korea and just Zurg Rush Kim.

IDTheftVictim

Jan 20, 2011
It's cool that one nation considers games with enough regard to say "this is one of the great things we've made".

I want to see how Obama plays through a game like this, what decisions he makes, he should definatly post his playthrough somewhere

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I'd love him to be at some press conference or something and just "Can we wrap this up I need to go play some witcher 2"

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Well, when Gordon Brown gave Obama something crafted from the wood of a British anti slaver ship, Obama gave him a box set of 'American Classic' DVDs (which would have been region 1 and not played on UK dvd players, lol), so if DVDs can be a suitable presidential gift, then I'm sure a game can be, is it not a fine example of one Poland's greatest exports?

At least Tusk understands that a national games industry creates jobs and generates taxes for his country, and doesn't demonise it.

The choice of title would still have to be carefully done however, as most FPS games wouldn't be very...diplomatic given to certain countries.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, well while I can see where this is coming from, I tend to find it a bit sad that making a video game, even a decent one, inspires that level of national pride. Big industry, but it strikes me as being a fairly trivial product.

I also happen to wonder what kind of national recognition the guy who wrote the books that the character in the game is based off of is receiving.

I mean I'm happy Poland has a solid product that shows it's game industry is developing, but as an international gift... I don't know, it seems like an awfully big deal is being made out of something comparitively trivial.
Sapkowski got plenty of recognition in Polish mass media world when the books were actually published over 10 years ago, hence they even made (terrible) movie and (crappy) tv show based on the books co-funded by public TV. His later books were also commented in media with references to Witcher series. For game itself however, he stated clearly he is not interested and just sold the license, he's not really the nicest guy around you would want to hang out with.

In Poland neither games nor movies are really big industries however, keep in mind we are only 'free country' for about 22 years (22nd anniversary of first free elections in June actually), and since end of WW2 till 1989 we were under control of Soviet Union. I think, the gesture itself, apart from being PR move was also to show that we do try to catch up with modern world and strive to create and advance solid market in region, region which is mostly composed of post-Soviet young democracies.

I much prefer gifts like that than yet another medieval 'relic' that no one cares about here. It's not the best gift ever but we really reached such point that the idea of gifts itself is quite troublesome. They are not about pride, but rather promotion, since gifts are rarely utilized by the Heads, they are however commented by media.

Try to figure out what type of gift you would give if you were in such situation taking in account that the item can't be anything expensive, should be somehow tied to your country and culture and on top of that avoiding the really generic and out-dated gifts like figurines or chairs.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Just a quick digression, I bloody love the fact that the Polish (and others) still call their leader Premier. It just sounds so cool.

It's quite depressing that Premier Tusk and his country support their industries, while our governments think they can parent grown fucking people, screaming "BUT THE CHILDREN??".

*sigh*

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Huh, seems to me the relationship between the USA and Poland (politically speaking) is a bloody good one indeed, if there are gifts like that going between them :D.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Hey Tusk, how about focusing on things... That you know, actually matter to the younger generation of Polish people rather than just trying to show that you are "Down with the buisness yo".

I would start by NOT MAKING POINTLESS GOVERMENT SEATS FOR PEOPLE YOU HAD TO COAX ONTO YOUR SIDE.

EDIT: Humorous note. We in Poland have a quite interesting history with non-working pens used by politicians. It seemed that another one of our writing articles have failed when it was needed.