[Politcs] When your KID knows better than calling the police on someone simply because he's Black.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Xprimentyl said:
one that I have personally dealt with in my life
Empathy does not require you to have a shared experience with someone. Projecting your personal hardships onto a different person in a different place is not making you more understanding of the person filming, it's making you less understanding of the person being filmed. If you don't want to understand a perspective that you don't personally share, I guess that's your prerogative, but that's not anyone's fault but your own.

ObsidianJones said:
Ok, for all intents and purposes, Cukor was attempting to Detain [https://definitions.uslegal.com/d/detain/] Michael due to pure suspicion without Michel doing anything illegal.
No, he wasn't. He wasn't detained by any definition of the word. At most, he was attempting to refuse entry, something private citizens are qualified to do anywhere they're responsible for a property. Micheal could have walked out the door and been entirely ignored at any point. That's not detaining. Bouncers at clubs aren't detaining people by bouncing them. All of your consideration of the legality of a citizen detaining someone is moot.

Also, you're applying the probable cause standards required for warrants and arrests to average citizens requesting police assistance. That's not how those standards work.

Silvanus said:
You shouldn't hold the door for people to enter a locked building, that's true, but that's not the content of the video. The guy already has access to the building from the start; Cukor reports him as a trespasser without evidence.
That is what's implied by the content of the video. The dad opened the door to leave, the guy filming caught that door before it closed and let himself in that way, so effectively, the dad had opened the door and let a stranger into their locked building and was trying to undo it.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
generals3 said:
trunkage said:
Same could be said about Cuckor. It's a bad assumption to think that a person who got entrance to a property belong at that property. There are a myriad of nefarious ways to get in that would seem legit. Nothing about Cuckor suggests he should be there. Funny how just we assumed Cuckor is the legit one, isn't it?
But this isn't about someone questioning whether Cuckor was a resident now is it?
Yeah I know. Shouldn't we get Cuckor's licence out to prove that he lives there? What makes us automatically believe that he does? More importantly, Cuckor should be proving to Michel during that incident that he lives there?

tstorm823 said:
trunkage said:
He literally tries to deny access to the complex. You could say he didn't succeed which means he's an attempted blocker. You could say it hasn't been proven in court making him an alledged blocker. But blocking was his goal.
What you're forgetting is that the dad didn't block access to the complex, the locked door did. If someone else let him into the building and this dad said "excuse me, I don't know this person, kick them out" then 100% absolutely he'd be in the wrong, no doubt about it. But not personally letting someone into the building is not the same thing as denying them access.
Ah, you seem to be forgetting your own description here:

tstorm823 said:
That is what's implied by the content of the video. The dad opened the door to leave, the guy filming caught that door before it closed and let himself in that way, so effectively, the dad had opened the door and let a stranger into their locked building and was trying to undo it.
Because that sounds like the locked door was not an issue. Also, we get so worked up over the word blocker?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So, after thinking about this hard, this whole situation would have been resolved by Michel just lying to Cuckor, saying that he lived there. Maybe that's what we should be teaching our kids

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
trunkage said:
So, after thinking about this hard, this whole situation would have been resolved by Michel just lying to Cuckor, saying that he lived there. Maybe that's what we should be teaching our kids
I suspect if he had said he lived there, then the dad would had asked for more specifics (maybe even to show him the key) and still would had been unconvinced. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
This thread is completely retarded. There really is no reason for this to be a public issue. It was a private misunderstanding with both parties making mountains out of molehills. Nobody was harmed. And yet here we are, trying these two in the court of public opinion. More words and evidence have been presented in this thread than were contained in the entirety of the conflict that we are judging. It could have been resolved near instantly with proper communication and yet this will be dragged out for who knows how many weeks on the internet.

I wish they'd bring back R&P so I wouldn't get curious about titles and be inadvertently drawn into crap like this.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
CaitSeith said:
trunkage said:
I suspect if he had said he lived there, then the dad would had asked for more specifics (maybe even to show him the key) and still would had been unconvinced. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
My point is that no one ever stopped to ask him. But they sure questioned the accused.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
This thread is completely retarded. There really is no reason for this to be a public issue. It was a private misunderstanding with both parties making mountains out of molehills.
Mostly true.

Individual stories can be powerful things (consider the dictum accredited to Stalin "One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic"). However, they are best used as representative examples of wider truths - if you like, the statistic of the million brought home with more emotional impact by the detail on a few. Of course, many would argue with some justification that this does represent a wider reality.

To me it does indicate a persistent problem with newer media and internet, however, which is overexaggeration of the trivial. Spending so much time looking at trees we don't see the wood, when the wood is what really matters.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
trunkage said:
tstorm823 said:
What you're forgetting is that the dad didn't block access to the complex, the locked door did. If someone else let him into the building and this dad said "excuse me, I don't know this person, kick them out" then 100% absolutely he'd be in the wrong, no doubt about it. But not personally letting someone into the building is not the same thing as denying them access.
Ah, you seem to be forgetting your own description here:

tstorm823 said:
Because that sounds like the locked door was not an issue. Also, we get so worked up over the word blocker?
I'm not sure why you think those two post are contradictory or somehow mean the locked door wasn't an issue. Yes, he was already inside the door. Is that base? Once you get beyond the threshhold you can't be tagged "it"? If I can physically get through a locked door that means I'm right to? I'm not sure how residential security warped into a game of tag.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Drathnoxis said:
This thread is completely retarded. There really is no reason for this to be a public issue. It was a private misunderstanding with both parties making mountains out of molehills. Nobody was harmed. And yet here we are, trying these two in the court of public opinion. More words and evidence have been presented in this thread than were contained in the entirety of the conflict that we are judging. It could have been resolved near instantly with proper communication and yet this will be dragged out for who knows how many weeks on the internet.

I wish they'd bring back R&P so I wouldn't get curious about titles and be inadvertently drawn into crap like this.
Michel made it public when he uploaded the video for, well, the public. Had he wanted it to stay private, he wouldn't had uploaded it.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Silvanus said:
generals3 said:
Shouldn't we though? What if your appartment got robbed because of someone who was careless about who he let through the door? You probably wouldn't feel good about it. It's a hassle and due to the low odds that the one person you "intercepted" may have bad intentions people don't bother with it, but that doesn't mean it isn't technically what should be done. Again, if we're all supposed to let anyone in locked buildings regardless of whether or not they should be able to access it why lock the building at all? This is a question everyone has conveniently ignored.
You shouldn't hold the door for people to enter a locked building, that's true, but that's not the content of the video. The guy already has access to the building from the start; Cukor reports him as a trespasser without evidence.
But how did he gain access to it? he wasn't a resident and his friend was coming from the outside, it's quite obvious he slipped through. That doesn't mean he should have any more access than anyone not authorised to enter the building who didn't already slip through. All this nonsense could have been avoided by answering one or two reasonable questions. He was not asked unreasonable things and he was in the wrong to begin with. Getting inside a property you shouldn't have access to puts you in the wrong, the fact that someone who is authorised to let you in is supposed to come at some point in the future doesn't change the fact that at that point in time you're not supposed to be there.

The fact people defend someone in the wrong because he "bravely stood up" to someone calmly asking reasonable questions is absurd. And it's even more absurd the white guy gets shamed just for calmly asking asking reasonable questions.

Sep 24, 2008
Drathnoxis said:

A private misunderstanding that I and many others who look like us share, and who had experienced the cops used as a leveraging chip to order one to capitulate.

Do you know why it needs to be public? Because a lot of people do not believe minorities when they say they are arrested for nothing.

Honestly play it out. With out that video, should any minority roll the dice that they are going to get a 'human' cop who will talk out the situation and try to find a common ground? Or should said minority heed the myriad of cases where the police report one thing, and the video evidence shows the fabrications?

You have the luxury to see this as a private misunderstanding. For us 'Michel's? It's business as usual.

And before you say anything, you have to realize you're talking to a man who nearly had a gun drawn on him by the cops because he was giving another person's credit card to another officer outside the police station. It's simply a different world, and people must understand that.

generals3 said:
But how did he gain access to it? he wasn't a resident and his friend was coming from the outside, it's quite obvious he slipped through. That doesn't mean he should have any more access than anyone not authorised to enter the building who didn't already slip through. All this nonsense could have been avoided by answering one or two reasonable questions. He was not asked unreasonable things and he was in the wrong to begin with. Getting inside a property you shouldn't have access to puts you in the wrong, the fact that someone who is authorised to let you in is supposed to come at some point in the future doesn't change the fact that at that point in time you're not supposed to be there.

The fact people defend someone in the wrong because he "bravely stood up" to someone calmly asking reasonable questions is absurd. And it's even more absurd the white guy gets shamed just for calmly asking asking reasonable questions.
Two things.

The guy is using a method that literally millions of Americans without malice use every day. It's a Mores at this point. No one bats an eye when a woman tailgates. Why? Because we're programmed to feel churlish for not holding the door open for her proper. She's a lady after all.

It feels very familiar that the lines of the Mores are always tested with certain individuals of this population. That's what drives people up the wall.

And two, it doesn't matter how polite your questions are. I can politely refuse. I can rudely refuse. But no matter how pretty you want to make Cukor's actions, Michel is under no duty to respond.

Really look at the pains you take to color how Cukor is speaking. It paints a great picture, but it's not actually important to this case. If Cukor was rude and confrontational, would that suddenly make Michel's right not to answer more understandable? Should I get every girl's number I ask for because I'm being so very charming?

Because I just rewatched the video. Again. It's on the first post. Michel spoke in a tone matching Cukor's. He calmly spoke as well and suggested that it could just be over if Cukor just walked away. He used no curses until his friend came around, and that was after being called a Trespasser and enduring his smirk.

I can easily say Cukor was being a dick. Does that change is ability to ask questions? No. But even if he was a saint in asking questions, that still doesn't give Michel any more reason to answer his questions.

That's the difference. I cringe at Michel cursing in front of the kid. No matter how mad you are, that lowers my opinion of you if you do something like that and don't apologize. Even if I get that anger, being in a similar situation all of the time and having the world always expect you to handle it with niceness and calm tones, no matter what it could actually mean for you. I think they are both dicks.

But I recognize that Cukor still has the ability to ask questions. His ability does not change or hinge on my personal opinion of him. And Michel still has the ability to deny answering question. Same goes. I think it would be absurd for Michel to call up the cops because someone is insisting on making him answer his questions. I equally think it's absurd that Cukor would call the cops to make someone answer his questions... oh, and while already tainting the police's perception by labeling him doing an illegal act.

And actually, this is what it comes down to. Like I said before, Michel calmly asked Cukor to disengage. Cukor did not. Cukor calmly asked Cukor to ring Michel's friend. Michel said he didn't have to do that. Both sides asked reasonable things, both sides did not comply.

And we will all read our personal bias into this situation. Before you accuse, admit your own.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
generals3 said:
Silvanus said:
generals3 said:
Shouldn't we though? What if your appartment got robbed because of someone who was careless about who he let through the door? You probably wouldn't feel good about it. It's a hassle and due to the low odds that the one person you "intercepted" may have bad intentions people don't bother with it, but that doesn't mean it isn't technically what should be done. Again, if we're all supposed to let anyone in locked buildings regardless of whether or not they should be able to access it why lock the building at all? This is a question everyone has conveniently ignored.

The guy was racist. Stop defending racists.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
ObsidianJones said:
And actually, this is what it comes down to. Like I said before, Michel calmly asked Cukor to disengage. Cukor did not. Cukor calmly asked Cukor to ring Michel's friend. Michel said he didn't have to do that. Both sides asked reasonable things, both sides did not comply.

And we will all read our personal bias into this situation. Before you accuse, admit your own.
Why did you post this thread other than to publicly read your personal bias into it?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
tstorm823 said:
ObsidianJones said:

Why did you post this thread other than to publicly read your personal bias into it?
ObsidianJones' personal bias is against bigotry. Just because some people are pro-bigotry, doesn't mean everyone is.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
tstorm823 said:
Maybe he was curious about your personal bias?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Baffle2 said:
tstorm823 said:
Maybe he was curious about your personal bias?
Are you suggesting he wanted to have a group venting session yelling at a stranger on the internet, or that he deliberately sought resistance so that he could belittle anyone who doesn't join in the group venting session?

Personally, I like to think this was posted because there's an opportunity for discussion, but if acknowledging that opportunity is the end of the discussion, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Sep 24, 2008
tstorm823 said:
ObsidianJones said:

Did you even attempt what I stated?

I personally stated that I see myself in Michel. Have you stated anything of the like? I'm attempting the communication. I'm putting myself out there. Will you?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
tstorm823 said:
Are you suggesting he wanted to have a group venting session yelling at a stranger on the internet, or that he deliberately sought resistance so that he could belittle anyone who doesn't join in the group venting session?

Personally, I like to think this was posted because there's an opportunity for discussion, but if acknowledging that opportunity is the end of the discussion, that doesn't seem to be the case.
No, I reckon he was highlighting the experiences of black Americans, and I'm pretty sure there's a lot to talk about there.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
ObsidianJones said:
I personally stated that I see myself in Michel. Have you stated anything of the like? I'm attempting the communication. I'm putting myself out there. Will you?
Am I required to chose a side? If I'm neither of these people, should I be roleplaying? Is that important?

Baffle2 said:
No, I reckon he was highlighting the experiences of black Americans, and I'm pretty sure there's a lot to talk about there.
There is, absolutely. If you want to ask "this man was acting perfectly within the rules, but would he have broken the rules for another white person?" It's purely speculative discussion, but it's there. We could ask whether the opposite should be true, whether someone should be more hesitant calling the cops on a black man given he might end up the victim of an unjust justice system. Not an unreasonable topic, probably worth debating.

What I find questionable is "this guy just did it cause he's RACIST, even a CHILD knows it's wrong." That's just assuming beyond the worst possible case from the footage. And especially people saying you're not allowed to decide who to let into your locked building are way, way out there.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
tstorm823 said:
There is, absolutely. If you want to ask "this man was acting perfectly within the rules, but would he have broken the rules for another white person?" It's purely speculative discussion, but it's there.
What we do have is at least two black Americans (as far as I know) saying that this is their lived experience, and so far no white Americans (as far as I know) have said 'No, that happens to me all the time too'.