Poll: $110 Dollars for 1 Video Game FUCK THAT

Darkhill

May 17, 2008
JFuss said:
Yeah its pretty damn shithouse.
I paid $120 for Killzone 2....Fucking Killzone
Wow... I feel your pain! Especially when they rub salt in the wound seeing as it now costs about $30. I got Killzone 2 plus my entire PS3 courtesy of Mr Rudd's $900 stimulus cheque :)

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
tghm1801 said:
TiefBlau said:
Trezu said:
Irishguy said:
Those prices are absolutely INSANE! In America you would only spend that much if it was like the uber nerdy collector edition
Prestige Edition for us cost nearly $220
Hooooooleeeeeee shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-
Poor ducks. :(
They're fine. Ducklings can fall from great heights and walk away like it ain't nothing :)

As for the post:

110 dollars for a NEW video game is what you mean right? Buy second hand or wait a year and if you want to get in on the multiplayer, 110 dollars is a bargain compared to the many many hours you will spend being entertained. I've logged three days in uncharted 2 myself. Wicked game, very solid multiplayer.

New games are about 75 dollars in Denmark, but I buy second-hand or I wait for the price to drop. I plan to get Uncharted 3 when it comes out, but I won't pre-order because Naughty Dog screwed me with a bad product code on Uncharted 2 (the dreaded -00727) and ultimately I ended up with a useless disc that kept asking me to buy DLC which the store wouldn't sell me. Had to buy the platinum edition of Uncharted 2 to get it working properly and that silver crap-cover with the yellow bar pasted on the "box-art" is fugly.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Trezu said:
American Escapist you buy games for about $60 we Aussies buy them for nearly Double.

at first i thought it was because of the American Dollar was greater but now the Aussie currency is about the same now.

Why should we have to pay $110 for a video game thats purely unfair and a dog act. Surely there has to be a solution that will make Aussie Games cheaper.

i understand the whole shipping cost even a 30 dollar decrease would make me feel a bit better.

But its purely unfair
Try the same price situation, but living in a country where you have a much lower standard.

Yes. This world sucks (not saying that against you, totally on your side)

flying mong

Jun 29, 2010
I was doing some research for my IT A-level and found that nearly all the different aspects of entertainment in Australia cost at the minimum of 30% more i was thinking they must be shipping the buyer drugs as well as the game for these prices.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
holy_secret said:
benzooka said:
50 ? (£ 42 \ 67 USD & AUD)
For a new release in Finland. But:

35 ? (£ 29.4 \ 47.5 USD & AUD)
If you order them through Åland, because the taxation on that rather autonomous island is different. Some webstores allow to order from there.
*Awaits the address for these alleged übersites*
There is no VAT or other expenses only when ordering to Mainland Finland. But I'll PM it for you anyways as you asked for it.

It seems like I could pre-order Dragon Age II for PC at 36.40 ?, postages and other expenses covered.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Desert Warrior said:
raxiv said:
In Poland, you pay 220 zl for a console game. 150 zl for a PC game.
Mind, in USA/Australia you probably earn like 2500 dollars a month, while in Poland you earn 2500 zl a month.
Please don't complain about Australian Dollar's buying power, its not as bad.
Really.
What you are basically saying is that everyone in the U.S and Australia has a 9 to 5 office job and all have the same job.
Now i am disappointed because i have neither, i am 13 and when i get money my mum generally burrows it but doesn't pay me back.
> :

SO THAT MY FRIENDS IS WHY I RENT GAMES.
Well, you know, generally, living in the society means you need to undertake a job, and while I operated on some form of statistics, we all know statistical people do not exist. I understand you are 13, you don't have an income, but again "generally" speaking, you could get a job (paper round?), get your parents to buy a game for you or stick to free to play policy. I don't really promote piracy, but if you have to have something you don't desperately need such as a game, I guess you'll do so.

Also, I'm sorry your mother steals your money. I wish you the best in the near future though.

Darkhill

May 17, 2008
JFuss said:
Darkhill said:
JFuss said:
Yeah its pretty damn shithouse.
I paid $120 for Killzone 2....Fucking Killzone
Wow... I feel your pain! Especially when they rub salt in the wound seeing as it now costs about $30. I got Killzone 2 plus my entire PS3 courtesy of Mr Rudd's $900 stimulus cheque :)
It was very much a salt rubbing when the game turned out to be total arse and saved my pennies for ages to get that game too :(
So, getting Killzone 3 soon? :p

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
Popadoo said:
In England the average price for a new release is about £40. FUCK YEAH!
except £40 is $64US ($63 and change AUS)
so we are still paying more than in the US.

poor australians though.
doubt we would like to pay £68.88 for a game.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Captain Placeholder said:
First off, what is 'cud'?
From Wikipedia: Cud is a portion of food that returns from a ruminant's stomach in the mouth to be chewed for the second time. More accurately, it is a bolus of semi-degraded food regurgitated from the reticulorumen of a ruminant. Cud is produced during the physical digestive process of rumination, or "chewing the cud". The idiomatic expression chewing one's cud means meditating or pondering; similar expressions such as "he chewed that over for a bit", or "chew on that!" likely have the same derivation.

You're quite welcome.

OT: Sucks to be Australia.

This thread bores me.

Amund

Oct 24, 2008
Trezu said:
American Escapist you buy games for about $60 we Aussies buy them for nearly Double.

at first i thought it was because of the American Dollar was greater but now the Aussie currency is about the same now.

Why should we have to pay $110 for a video game thats purely unfair and a dog act. Surely there has to be a solution that will make Aussie Games cheaper.

i understand the whole shipping cost even a 30 dollar decrease would make me feel a bit better.

But its purely unfair
You could always move to the USA. Yes I know Australia is beautiful and is awesome, but we have cheaper video games... and... the Statue of Liberty and... the Smithsonian... yeah I'm tapped. Still though.

Siuki

Nov 18, 2009
Damn that sucks. We Americans can grab 2 games with that money. No wonder Steam is so great.

biGBum333

Aug 26, 2010
yeah its shit, if i see a game i like i wait a bit until it gets put in preowned or the price goes down. mostly both. thats the only real way i can keep my budget tight and its stupid coz after a few months the price on a game that was brand new can go down to like $50. only on very rare occasions ill pay full price for a brand new game. this on top of no R rating really gets on my nerves...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The U.S. apparently gets games cheaper than most countries. We're a huge market, and our people complain bitterly every time game prices rise (seriously, look around the Escapist forums a little and you'll see what I mean.) There was an example recently about the exact same version of the exact same game from the same printer costing something like a third more in Germany.

If it's any comfort, as the U.S. continues to screw up its credit situation, we'll probably be on more or less equal footing in the next decade or so. Assuming there's still a viable video game market by then...

Um, apparently I'm a little pessimistic today. Carry on.

Onomatopeia

Aug 11, 2008
The pricing on new release games in this country are ridiculous. That's why I never shop at EB Games, they have inflated prices because people will pay them, JB-HiFi are a little cheaper but typically for new release games I buy/order them from Dungeon Crawl http://www.dungeoncrawl.com.au. Their prices for new releases are around the $79.00 mark.