Poll: 20 Year old plays Xbox and dies...

LokiSuaveHP

Feb 21, 2010
My longest session I think I've ever played was about a 9 a.m. to 3 a.m. run on a weekend with Burning Crusade (I was getting my Arcatraz Key, if that means anything to anyone, and we started Botanica around midnight). I stopped to eat, use the bathroom, and come to think of it, I believe I went to church at the 5 p.m. between them. That said, I would get up, walk around for a bit, stretch, and do those sorts of things.

This is quite tragic, but the fact that he never moved, that is really just an awful accident.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Hmm...see when I play games I get very bored very quick so unless I plan to plough through a game I tend to just play 30min-1hour chunks. That said I play A LOT. I'd have a 15-30min break in between, looking up stuff on the net, getting a drink, pretending to be sociable, then I just dive back into another one or the same game. Seeing as my days off are literally every day atm (summer holiday and what not) I do play a lot via this style (probably 12 hours in a day). I can sit down and just play a game for ages but I have to work myself up to doing it (Fable 2, did in 1 day...that was a disapointment ¬_¬ ). This way I don't get bored of the game I'm playing and they last me longer...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
OpticalJunction said:
Wow, poor guy. 20 is too young to die. Sit stand/treadmill desks are a possible answer, a way of countering the apparently horrible effects of sitting on your ass all day. A set up like this could have saved his life:
I want a standing desk but they're fucking ridiculously expensive. The smallest one I found online could MAYBE fit my keyboard and mouse... maybe and it was $600 USD and I'd have to get it shipped.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
He really should've followed the instructions and taken a 15 minute break after every hour of gameplay.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
Don't forget about the dangers of swamp ass. Nathan Fillion is indeed wise to warn everyone.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Sheesh. Get up, take a piss. Go outside and get the mail, take the trash out.

Problem solved.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
Typically, I only play in 2 hour chunks before turning the system off and going to do something else for a little while. I also tend to move a lot in those 2 hours... maybe only just standing for a few minutes, or switching chairs, or getting water, but I don't really 'hold still' when I play.

Let this be a lesson to all- be fidgety gamers!

Om Nom Nom

Feb 13, 2010
12+.

Though I'm constantly changing posture / repositioning myself and I tend to get up for a drink or some other reason every hour to hour-n-half (up to two hours if I'm especially engrossed). I'm simply not capable of sitting still long enough for something like that to happen to me. Of course... now I've said that, I'll be dead by tomorrow... better start writing my will. ;d

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Hmm, I hang out and play videogames/browse the net for long periods of time, and I'm 19. But I'm also very slim and fit. I go to the gym 3 times a week, do weights for a bit over an hour, and do HIIT cardio training for around half an hour. I also work on weekends, where I'm on my feet shifting stock for much of the day, and I eat fairly healthy.

So I don't think this will be an issue for me.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I only play video games in long sessions (long being more than 5 hours) if I'm at a friend's, which we then pull an all nighter.[footnote]But we take breaks for food and toilet every 2 or 3 hours.[/footnote] I've been recently playing about 3 or 4 hours a day, but only because I just got a TV for my room and I'm playing through Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare DLC.[footnote]Again, I don't factor in toilet breaks and food breaks. Hell, tonight I even went into the lounge to watch TV for an hour before coming back.[/footnote]
The novelty will wear after a bit and I'll go back to 2 hours at a time, sometimes not playing the Xbox for days.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I'm on my computer or PS3 almost all day, apart from work and when I get up to get something to drink or use the restroom.

Guess it's a good thing I use the downstairs restroom, and the fridge is also downstairs. I also tend to walk around for a bit before returning upstairs, so...

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Four-ish. If I don't have to do work the next day as well, I usually game into the earlier hours.

[sup]Because, y'know, screw friends.[/sup]

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
I have no sympathy for him - and only slightly more for his family. His family should have got him off the computer after 12 hours for gods sake. At least once, even I who spends most of his free time on the computer isn't going to just sit completely still for so long.

In my opinion this is simply natures best work at it's finest 'natural selection' prevails once again. I'm sorry but if you're going to not even take a break or move for all that time - you aren't alive anyway! Games are fun and you can play them all you like but surely you can get up at least a bit... to stretch, go get some food or something - I mean really, if he wasn't hungry in all that time - then it probably means his family got him his food and drink. Hence why they're partially to blame. The warnings are all there. Addicts survive all over the world with much longer hours.

It's probably also partially due to the factor of the air quality in his room, if he'd kept his windows closed the room probably lacked fresh air and over-heated. Anyone who's read anything up on blood clots like these cases will know that poor air-quality can provoke these things further. But let's be honest - I doubt he was in peak health.

So yeah in short: He deserves it. I do not feel even partially sorry for him.

kidd25

Jun 13, 2011
thePyro_13 said:
Do console gamers not get thirsty? Or need to pee.
what are those strange words you use? thirsty? pee? huh? oh its like that new fad, "taking a break" i swear people are making up words now.

GentleMad

Jul 18, 2011
It's sad the guy died, but seriously, my parents saw this on the news and they won't let me forget it.

Oh. And I would play for 5 hours but there wasn't a 5 hour option

SereneMidnight

May 22, 2011
I mean, how lazy is this guy? At least I get up to do stuff such as getting something to drink or eat, going to the bathroom, etc.