Poll: 2015, The end of The Escapist?

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Rufio said:
DOOM GUY said:
Nah, I don't really believe so, hell, I'm actually kinda liking it more around here as well.
Wait... You don't predict utter annihilation? No forecasts of our inevitable demise? No doom and gloom from DOOM GUY?!

I'm not angry DOOM GUY, just disappointed.
Well hey now, I don't predict the doom, I bring the doom.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
DOOM GUY said:
Rufio said:
DOOM GUY said:
Nah, I don't really believe so, hell, I'm actually kinda liking it more around here as well.
Wait... You don't predict utter annihilation? No forecasts of our inevitable demise? No doom and gloom from DOOM GUY?!

Well hey, I don't predict the doom, I bring the doom.
That sounds like something you'd say in a wrestling promo.

Rufio's Ghost

Oct 2, 2012
Fappy said:
DOOM GUY said:
Rufio said:
DOOM GUY said:

Oh, and you're not bringing it right now?! Thanks DOOM GUY, you've put my mind at ease.

... Unless you're not telling us something. If that's the case then bring it! BONE SAW IS READY.

Con-Autist

Not the savant kind
Feb 18, 2015
madwarper said:
Hard to tell.

They either lost or let go several of things that I came here to see. However, there's always the chance, unlikely as it may seem, that the new content they bring on will be as good as, or better than, what used to be here. Only time will tell.
Like with most forums on the internet, this sort of stuff happens quite often and post like this happen all the time even when nothing is happening with a forum. Users see that post content is going down and staffers are getting fired and assume the absolute worst. At worst, all that is going to happen is that people are going to be let go of and the staff is going to get shuffled around. If memory serves, the former EiC was recently replaced and we've gotten new content producers and others have vowed to never come back again. To those of you who claim that you'll never come back again, I'll see you next Tuesday on Youtube pushing for your Patreons to get funded.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Every time... Every fucking time a format changes, or there's a staff change people start screaming doom for the escapist. How about we realize that the escapist has been going for nearly a decade, and most creative people don't want to be in the same place all their lives? What if, instead of the site imploding in on itself, it's evolving to people's taste, the ever changing current of popular culture, and the desire to innovate with new content creators so the site doesn't stagnate and turn into a circle jerking echo chamber? Think that might be it, or am I just baby eating insane?

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Rufio said:
Fappy said:
DOOM GUY said:
Rufio said:
DOOM GUY said:

Oh, and you're not bringing it right now?! Thanks DOOM GUY, you've put my mind at ease.

... Unless you're not telling us something. If that's the case then bring it! BONE SAW IS READY.
Oh trust me, you'll know when the doom is being brought, but for now, there will be no doom bringing.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I want to say no, if only because I'm trying to remain optimistic and hope for the best. I wonder who's coming in next...

Rufio's Ghost

Oct 2, 2012
DOOM GUY said:
Rufio said:
Fappy said:
DOOM GUY said:
Rufio said:
DOOM GUY said:

Oh trust me, you'll know when the doom is being brought, but for now, there will be no doom bringing.
Thanks man. You've really been my the Rock Dwayne Johnson in these uncertain times.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
If Yahtzee leaves, then it will be. The higher ups better be bending over backwards to keep him around, because with no disrespect to other contributors, there's a reason ED redirects The Escapist to their Zero Punctuation article.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Hard to tell. As long as they have Yahtzee, I'll always have a reason to keep coming back. A year ago I'd have been confident enough to never question whether they'd do something so ridiculous as boot their biggest draw from the site, but now that they've already done it to the runners-up, Jim and Bob, I can't rule anything out no matter how little sense it would make for them to do that.

Casper Andersen

Jun 21, 2010
Well they have had a bunch financial issues, and they seem to be refocusing on more purely gaming related stuff. So less opinion pieces, movie reviews and pop-culture stuff.
So Yahtzee will probably stay, but a lot of the other content creators are not long for this site. Also they have faced some backlash from the SJW crowd, Zak Smith just threw a *****-fit over a recent hire. So maybe the more anti-gamer magazines will freeze them out or they can become an alternative for people who get sick of the BS from other sites.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
No! I have to hit a thousand posts first!

...and then it has my permission to die. Muahaha.

In all seriousness, I'm gonna say "probably not."

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Signa said:
I don't think what you read into Iceforce's comment was a fair assumption at all.
I don't see how it isn't. When someone has clear contempt for a group that represents a large portion of the active userbase, and a just as clear contempt for the upper management, you must forgive me for thinking they aren't real fond of the website.

If I'm "aggressively negative" its because the constant aloof mockery that has come to characterize this site in the past year or so has quite successfully rustled my jimmies.

Delance

Mar 12, 2011
The Escapist will be fine. Better, even. Don't worry so much.

Maybe this is because I was a reader before all those who just left entered on the site, but I don't think it'll matter so much.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
major_chaos said:
Signa said:
I don't think what you read into Iceforce's comment was a fair assumption at all.
I don't see how it isn't. When someone has clear contempt for a group that represents a large portion of the active userbase, and a just as clear contempt for the upper management, you must forgive me for thinking they aren't real fond of the website.

If I'm "aggressively negative" its because the constant aloof mockery that has come to characterize this site in the past year or so has quite successfully rustled my jimmies.
I won't fault you for that, but that doesn't explain away your messages to me in my Metroid sale thread. I'm not holding that as a grudge about that or anything, but it was a personal example I have on hand. I see you post often enough, and I almost never get a positive feeling from you dude.

Iceforce's comment was just a joke on someone's analogy. If he actually meant it differently, I'll let him fess up to it. Even if he did mean it the way you think, it's probably because he's just as jaded as you are, and just is handling it differently. There has been so much shit flying around these past months, you pretty much can expect everyone to have at least a little bit on them.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
yeah, as someone who's been around since before moviebob joined the website (at least as a reader, don't remember if i'd joined the forum at that point), it does seem a bit odd that people couldn't imagine the website without him and Jim. The escapist will be fine i'd say.

n0ne

Jan 14, 2010
The Escapist might be one of the only places that doesn't shit on gamers in 2015. I don't understand why people still go to kotaku, polygon and the rest of the clickbait brigade.

Crimson Cade

Feb 27, 2009
Delance said:
The Escapist will be fine. Better, even. Don't worry so much.

Maybe this is because I was a reader before all those who just left entered on the site, but I don't think it'll matter so much.
Pretty much my sentiment as well. Been around since 09, came for Yahtzee, stayed for Unskippable, and gotta say I really like the new editor in chief's approach and energy. Got a good feeling about the direction things are going. Change is always interesting at very least.