Poll: 4chan works for good?

Machiavellian007

Mar 2, 2010
Earlier this week there was footage capture of a woman dumping a cat into a bin. This sparked a huge reaction online, as you may have seen, and eventually led to even 4chan becoming involved to do what they do best and track this woman down.

More information here: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/woman-who-dumped-cat-in-wheelie-bin-tracked-down-20100825-13rme.html

So, Escapists, what do you think? Can 4chan be used for good?

mikemart

Apr 16, 2009
4chan likes cats

this is the second time they have tracked someone that abused a cat

i lurk 4chan.. for the most part they like animals, just hate all people

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I react to 4chan the way parents hosting a cocktail party react to their small children coming down the stairs.

"OK, darling, that's lovely, now go back to bed. The grown-ups are talking."

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
4chan is the same as any real life vigilante. Some good can come of its actions but the likelihood is that it'll only make things worse.

Machiavellian007

Mar 2, 2010
SimuLord said:
I react to 4chan the way parents hosting a cocktail party react to their small children coming down the stairs.

Just wait until they become teenagers; then they'll go wild. Well, if they reach the teenage years without killing themselves...

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
yeah they saved dunstin or something from being abused by its owners by tracking him down and reporting it to there local animal protection society/police.

they have also done a lot worse things though to counter balance it. the recent savage was it girl that got cyber bullied and had her computer hacked by them. anonymous dont let their wrath fall on you

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Machiavellian007 said:
SimuLord said:

Just wait until they become teenagers; then they'll go wild. Well, if they reach the teenage years without killing themselves...
You know they're tough little bastards because on their way from the bedroom to crashing the cocktail party they avoided the pit traps and tripwires I set for them!

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
mikemart said:
4chan likes cats

7 years back with NEDM? i think it was pretty split between hate, like and fap

Diablo27

Jul 18, 2010
No, absolutely not. They may have done some good things, I think they actually caught a murderer and they also stopped a potential terrorist (even though it was just fake pipe bombs) but still, most of them are evil, disturbed people.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Can 4chan be used for good? Probably, yeah. Exposing corrupt officials, tracking down people who abuse animals/children and post the abuse online, they could be like an internet version of Batman.

Will it be used for good? 19 times out of 20, no, it won't be used in a benevolent manner.

mikemart

Apr 16, 2009
Kragg said:
mikemart said:
4chan likes cats

7 years back with NEDM? i think it was pretty split between hate, like and fap

IDK if it was NEDM i remember there was a video of a kid beating up a cat.. 4chan tracked the kid down...

Art3mis

Dec 22, 2009
Diablo27 said:
No, absolutely not. They may have done some good things, I think they actually caught a murderer and they also stopped a potential terrorist (even though it was just fake pipe bombs) but still, most of them are evil, disturbed people.
I don't think many of them are evil or disturbed people at all. They simply act like that because of the anonymity the internet (and the board itself) allows them. They can be whoever they want - exactly like the players in an MMO (with less consequences, obviously).

Doesn't mean that they are like that in real life.

As to OP's question, sometimes. Most of the time, no.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Good things 4chan has done:

Trolled Scientology
Trolled 2 or more cat haters/torturers
Struck fear into the hearts of would-be camwhores who think they're top shit
Stopped a (possible) terrorist from shooting up a school
Caught a pedophile and reported him
May be sending JB to North Korea

Bad things 4chan has done:

Blackified WoW by creating hundreds of black characters and making them all dance at (I think) the human starting area
Blackified Habbo Hotel
Trolled youtube with pronz multiple times (some are rumored to be by ebaums)
Mass uploaded flashing images to an epilepsy forum

Thats just quickly off the top of my head, if you've got any more please add them.

Garrsus

Jun 21, 2010
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
Good things 4chan has done:

Trolled Scientology
Trolled 2 or more cat haters/torturers
Struck fear into the hearts of would-be camwhores who think they're top shit
Stopped a (possible) terrorist from shooting up a school
Caught a pedophile and reported him
May be sending JB to North Korea

Bad things 4chan has done:

Blackified WoW by creating hundreds of black characters and making them all dance at (I think) the human starting area
Blackified Habbo Hotel
Trolled youtube with pronz multiple times (some are rumored to be by ebaums)
Mass uploaded flashing images to an epilepsy forum

Thats just quickly off the top of my head, if you've got any more please add them.
bad:
they are paedophiles
drove a girl to consider suicide
rule 34 (if you don't know what it is just don't type it into google)

good:
trolling the vain
trolling the annoying ( I'm surprised Fred hasn't been trolled yet.)
trolling those who are generally hated for a good reason
so on so forth

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
4chan is like Russia, We may hate it but when a bigger threat comes along we will work together to quiet them down.

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
I view 4chan (or more specifically /b/, I believe that's the group we're talking about here) as chaotic neutral [http://www.cold-moon.com/images/Motivators/Alignments/ChaoticNeutral1.jpg], so whenever being good is fun to them.

Diablo27

Jul 18, 2010
Art3mis said:
Diablo27 said:
I don't think many of them are evil or disturbed people at all. They simply act like that because of the anonymity the internet (and the board itself) allows them. They can be whoever they want - exactly like the players in an MMO (with less consequences, obviously).

Doesn't mean that they are like that in real life.

As to OP's question, sometimes. Most of the time, no.
Who a lot of them are online disturbs me greatly though XD