Poll: A Certain Double Standard

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
Gender roles are tough.

If I had kids, I would try to keep them away from them. I wouldn't give my boy guns, I wouldn't give my daughter dolls. They would get LEGO, I've already decided on that. :) And I'd hate for my daughter to grow up wanting to become a princess, model or stewardess.

OTOH, some gender roles are a must for me. While I, as a man, am terrible at repairing anything, I would never wear dresses or skirts. Maybe a kilt though. And when my make friends would start to, I'd be seriously irritated, to say the least.

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
I'm fine with them existing but people should be allowed to break them if they want. After all they are bound to exist due the simple fact that men and women are different. Gender roles will exist no matter what in jobs like mechanics and builders, men are just more interested (and some would argue more physically appropriate to a job where you haul heavy things all day) in those roles than women. Same goes for hairdresser, stylist and seamstress. Those gender roles are there because women like those things more than men on the whole.

It's just the way our societies are, I have no problem with it but people should be allowed to break them if they want.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
fapper plain said:
What can I say?

Sexism isn't dead yet.

I mean, I think my country (America, and north of the Mason-Dixon line) is becoming more progressive in terms of acceptance of people functioning outside traditional roles, but we have a long way to go.

Personal note: the disparity between 'girl who sleeps around = whore' and 'guy who sleeps around = playa' pisses me off to no end. If you sleep with people for the sake of sleeping with people, you're a whore. Period. Gotten into several rather vocal disagreements with douchebags of various flavors over that.
What's wrong with that? If both parties are aware that it's just sleeping around, and they stay safe I don't see the problem with it.

Tycon

Aug 21, 2012
TopazFusion said:
How has this not been posted yet?

Anyway, to add more fuel to the fire, isn't it interesting how a guy that sleeps around is a "player", and yet a girl that sleeps around is a "slut".
You make an interesting point but isn't that more of a social perspective problem. Although the dictionary(online dictionary)specifically states slut as being an immoral/dirty woman, when I hear the word slut it generally translates to me as a promiscuous female and player is a promiscuous male and nothing more. Its just a word title that describes the behavior of a person and really should have no negative or positive attachments to it, slut is a fine word at conveying a females behavioral habits and should not be viewed as offensive imo. However its people identifying that behavior as traditionally immoral and associate it with being bad/immoral.

Also i'd like people to refrain from the "Key dick" defense because it is a clever metaphor but its quite a stretch, if any thing sexual double standards are biology's fault, as a male you can spread nearly an indefinite amount of seeds and bear many children so you have the option to choose many partners that are fertile. As a female you only get 1 every 9 months and a set amount of eggs through out your life, so you pretty much have to choose he right mate to bear that one child with, especially with the tradition of choosing a mate with resources.

Disclaimer: Not everyone wants to have kids and some people just can't but you're still subconsciously under the influence of your biological nature. In a perfect world there wouldn't be double standards but in my opinion this is the root of male vs female sexual double standards.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
fapper plain said:
I don't think it's wrong, per sec.

Not classy/not a good look, sure, but not wrong.

I get annoyed when people either: brag about it, like it's something people should commend them for, or apply the 'I'm a playa, she's a whore' double standard.
That's understandable. I couldn't tell you meant that by your previous post. ( I really just wanted to say the first sentence, but that would risk mod wrath o__o)

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
other [http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/beat%20a%20dead%20horse]

Given a choice, I pick a dutiful housewife when playing Skyrim, like Camilla Valeris. An adventurous one would likely go fight a troll and leave dishes in the sink. I also downloaded a mod so that she gives me more than 1 meal per day. I do all the work while she sits in the cozy hearthed home reading my extensive library of ancient texts and dressing in enchanted jewelry I leave for her. She might as well make me 3 square meals.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I don't have a problem with men doing feminine things, but I worry about what would happen if that becomes the norm.

I don't want to wear makeup or get manicures, but what if that becomes expected of men (like one could say it's expected of women now)? Would I lose out on a job because I didn't wear makeup to the interview? Would not wearing it be seen as 'not putting the effort in', like not combing my hair and not having a shave the morning before the interview?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
DrunkenMonkey said:
I mean we shouldn't necessarily assume gender roles are bad as a lot of people constantly confuse it with the negative outlook of sexism. If only people could choose to follow gender roles and not get chastised for their choice, if only...
But if those gender roles didn't exist, people couldn't get chastised for falling into them. If a girl likes pink and flowers, it's okay. But don't assume that all girls like that stuff. I didn't, and yet I got barbies and ponies as gifts... I specifically asked for 'monster-dolls', and one of the relatives bought me this overly cute dragon-thing, saying "We had hard time finding a monster-toy that's fitting for a girl."
At that moment, at 7, I became an advocate for gender-equality. Because boys had all the gool toys.

These kinds of gender-roles change depending on culture and time, what is girly now can be manly the next century.
Why care? I don't care about the sex or gender of people, except if I'm interested in them romantically.

I spent a lot of time with my grandparents as a kid, and they had very traditional gender-roles; grandma did the house work inside, grandpa outside (for the most part). But I always liked the outdoorsy stuff more, so I usually helped grandpa.

And I was allowed to do that. But it's not too long ago that at home boys weren't expected to help with housework, so of course grown men couldn't do it either.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I like to cook. Is that against gender roles?

Men are supposed to only like to barbecue ribs or something.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Vault101 said:
Eddy-16 said:
A key that can open many locks is a fucking awesome key, on the other hand a lock that is opened by many keys is a shitty lock.
CAPTIN KEYDICK!!!!?? WHERE? WHERE IS HE I'LL KILL HIM

you pulled a captin keydick..BAD! bad analogy!

To be honest, every single time I read this I need to restrain myself from making a joke which would probably get me burned at the stake, but NO MORE restraining my immature tencendies I say.

And a lock that doesn't open at all needs several guys with power tools to force it open.

Or you could just replace the door.

On topic:
Gender roles bad, blabla, maybe let everyone be themselves blabla, done to death blablub.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
SimpleThunda said:
Never was it my intention to shut anyone up, let alone you in particular.
Never mind. I read more forward. Now I know what you meant.

SimpleThunda said:
About your comment:

Are you saying people shouldn't do things they aren't capable of, eventhough they might have fun doing it?
Last time I checked, the phrase "aren't capable of" meant "couldn't do it even if you tried". I'm sure it'd be fun to grow wings and fly, but I'm sure as hell not capable of that.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
Joccaren said:
Gender Roles SHOULD exist, because men and women are, quite bluntly, not the same, and if gender roles didn't exist it would be because people were artificially forcing them not to exist to maintain some misguided sense of equality. Men and women, generally speaking, enjoy different things, and thus gender roles exist.

What I am against, however, is the enforcement of gender roles in any way. As much as men and women are different, each individual is different too, and this leads to the inevitability of those who are not the same as what their gender role describes. There is nothing wrong with this, and people like that should not be forced to fill the gender role usually associated to their gender.
Those 2 paragraphs seem very contradictory to me. You do know what gender roles are, right? Let's try to be more specific. Genders are different biologically. people are different mentally.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I'm going to re-contextualize the "gender rolls" discussion just a little bit.

I have a gay male friend. But the thing about him is that he is one of the most quintessentially "straight" people I know. He watches Football (American Football) And gets upset with me when I call it HandEgg. He plays Call of Duty and Halo. He chastises me for liking musicals and My Little Pony (And I'm strait and find no shame in it) He doesn't present himself well in the way you'd expect a stereotypical gay person would. He drives a Mustang, and drinks beer, etc.

People think he's misrepresenting himself, but that's not the case.

When you think about the girls who like football and videogames and hate manicures, makeup and other girly things.
Would you think they're misrepresenting themselves?

If you saw a woman wearing pants you wouldn't look twice,
If you saw a man in a dress you'd call him a transvestite.

I don't really like that Male oriented stuff is open season, while female oriented stuff it taboo.
Like you put MLP in the OP, I would have never said MLP is a girl's show. (A kid's show, sure but not a girl's show) Is that only because I've been watching it from the start, and the only other people I know who watch it are guys? (Bronies? I've never heard of a Femmnie)

It seems to me like Shame is a male dominated emotion.
This you can't like "girly" things or else people will think you're gay! and women can like "manly" things with no consequence.

Being a guy (A strait guy) who likes some girly things I don't like the double standards. But they're not going anywhere.

Celi

Jun 23, 2012
Something I've been struggling with a lot recently is how much of the difference between men and women is truly inherent differences and howmuch is just societal. It's generally thought that there's at least some fundamental psychological distinction. From my own experiences, I would say that the difference is, at the very most, that each gender is predisposed slightly to certain personality traits, but I'm not a psychologist or anything.

It's not that it actually matters--even if, for instance, boys are inherently more fond of action figures than dollhouses (which I doubt) that's no reason to ridicule or even discourage a boy for playing with dolls. I just think it would help with discussions like this to know where the line was.

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
Lieju said:
DrunkenMonkey said:
I mean we shouldn't necessarily assume gender roles are bad as a lot of people constantly confuse it with the negative outlook of sexism. If only people could choose to follow gender roles and not get chastised for their choice, if only...
But if those gender roles didn't exist, people couldn't get chastised for falling into them. If a girl likes pink and flowers, it's okay. But don't assume that all girls like that stuff. I didn't, and yet I got barbies and ponies as gifts... I specifically asked for 'monster-dolls', and one of the relatives bought me this overly cute dragon-thing, saying "We had hard time finding a monster-toy that's fitting for a girl."
At that moment, at 7, I became an advocate for gender-equality. Because boys had all the gool toys.

These kinds of gender-roles change depending on culture and time, what is girly now can be manly the next century.
Why care? I don't care about the sex or gender of people, except if I'm interested in them romantically.

I spent a lot of time with my grandparents as a kid, and they had very traditional gender-roles; grandma did the house work inside, grandpa outside (for the most part). But I always liked the outdoorsy stuff more, so I usually helped grandpa.

And I was allowed to do that. But it's not too long ago that at home boys weren't expected to help with housework, so of course grown men couldn't do it either.
Sorry I bungled up my post a lot, I meant to say if only people can could choose to follow or not follow respective gender roles and not get chastised for the choice made.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Anyway, to add more fuel to the fire, isn't it interesting how a guy that sleeps around is a "player", and yet a girl that sleeps around is a "slut".
Something I blame entirely on women.

I'm in a male dominated job, there are a few women I work with who are known for their promiscuity - The only people I've ever heard talking about it negatively are the other women I work with.

Anecdotal I know, however when it comes to these kinds of double standards I honestly believe women are their own worst enemies.

Easton Dark said:
I like to cook. Is that against gender roles?
Nope. Best Chefs in the world are men. If anything women should go crack on with fixing cars (there's a lot of fiddly bits requiring small, dexterous hands), whilst we go ahead and make decent food. Clearly they're shit at it.

Truth is, they're shit at ironing too - Our lass isn't allowed near my clothes anymore for a reason.

Basically, no women anywhere should be allowed to do anything.

For those who have yet to cotton on, those last couple of sentences are very tongue in cheek. So calm the fuck down.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Stu35 said:
TopazFusion said:
Something I blame entirely on women.

I'm in a male dominated job, there are a few women I work with who are known for their promiscuity - The only people I've ever heard talking about it negatively are the other women I work with.

Anecdotal I know, however when it comes to these kinds of double standards I honestly believe women are their own worst enemies.
eh, i imagine when it comes to gender roles that your own gender is your worst enemy. It is common for men to make fun of other men who bend their roles, but it is not very common for men to make fun of women for bending their role. vice versa for women, I would imagine that women are pretty accepting of men who bend their roles.