Poll: A Certain Double Standard

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Ryotknife said:
Stu35 said:
TopazFusion said:
Anyway, to add more fuel to the fire, isn't it interesting how a guy that sleeps around is a "player", and yet a girl that sleeps around is a "slut".
Something I blame entirely on women.

I'm in a male dominated job, there are a few women I work with who are known for their promiscuity - The only people I've ever heard talking about it negatively are the other women I work with.

Anecdotal I know, however when it comes to these kinds of double standards I honestly believe women are their own worst enemies.
eh, i imagine when it comes to gender roles that your own gender is your worst enemy. It is common for men to make fun of other men who bend their roles, but it is not very common for men to make fun of women for bending their role. vice versa for women, I would imagine that women are pretty accepting of men who bend their roles.

Very good point, very well presented. I agree wholeheartedly. A further bit of anecdotal evidence - We had a bloke wear a vest to Rugby training last night, got the piss taken out of him all night long (despite the fact that professional rugby league players train in vests regularly).

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
It's not something that is influenced by singular people or events, but by the collective subconcious.
If I just ignore these problems, and treat everyone with respect, all these problems will disappear eventually.

The only problems in society are the ones we create ourselves.

Sep 13, 2009
Joccaren said:
Gender Roles SHOULD exist, because men and women are, quite bluntly, not the same, and if gender roles didn't exist it would be because people were artificially forcing them not to exist to maintain some misguided sense of equality. Men and women, generally speaking, enjoy different things, and thus gender roles exist.

What I am against, however, is the enforcement of gender roles in any way. As much as men and women are different, each individual is different too, and this leads to the inevitability of those who are not the same as what their gender role describes. There is nothing wrong with this, and people like that should not be forced to fill the gender role usually associated to their gender.
The problem is that just by gender roles existing there's pressure to fit into them. So long that people automatically think about sports, violence, cars and guns everytime they think of a man there will be people who find it weird when they meet someone who doesn't fit into that description.

I see no need for there to be any standard for what a 'normal' man or woman should be like. I've seen some posts in this thread say how the genders are different on average, but you shouldn't make assumptions based on averages, it's easy enough to go case by case with each person. While women might be physically weaker on average, not every woman is. I'd imagine it'd be pretty condescending for a man to step in and insist he lifts something just because you're supposed to be weaker than him. It's easy enough just not to make the assumption in the first place and help only if it looks like it's needed. Not to mention that there's not many people who fit perfectly into their gender role, and many who do only do because of the enormous societal pressure (note I'm not saying all by any stretch).

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
i just think that since we are biologically different, there gender rolls make sense are are necessary.
But it is not just gender roles. I think even within the same gender there are roles that come associated with the body build etc.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Angie7F said:
I think even within the same gender there are roles that come associated with the body build etc.
The first person to suggest that taller people have an obligation to help shorter people lift things off high shelves get's popped in the mouth. We are people with feelings! We are not just pieces of meat for you to use when it suits you!

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
It's only a double standard if one person holds it. I'm not all that sure that there are women walking around in their trousers feeling masculine, because, you know, trousers, and then ragging on MLP fans for being feminine. And there's no guarantee that someone like that is doing it in reference to gender roles. I mean, on the face of it it's a ridiculous oversimplification of everything, and I'm really suprised that the "Generalisations" crew aren't in spamming everywhere.

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
SimpleThunda said:
Men and women aren't similair. Men are good at certain things, women are good at certain things. Make of that what you will.
Gotta disagree with ya there. A person of any gender is "good" at something because they were conditioned to be, that's the foundation of gender roles. A woman can be better at fixing cars than a man, a man can be better at sewing than a woman. The physiological differences between men and women are minor, their use in justifying gender roles is a construct .

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Vault101 said:
CAPTIN KEYDICK!!!!?? WHERE? WHERE IS HE I'LL KILL HIM

you pulled a captin keydick..BAD! bad analogy!
Haha, I've gotta use that as a username somewhere.

OT: Where I live, not adhering to 'traditional' gender roles isn't seen as that sort of thing. Hell, one of the most 'manly' guys I know is a hairdresser.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
uneek said:
Those 2 paragraphs seem very contradictory to me. You do know what gender roles are, right? Let's try to be more specific. Genders are different biologically. people are different mentally.
And that does nothing to make my two paragraphs contradictory. Part of that biological difference comes with a mental difference too. As such, the majority of women will behave similarly in many aspects in ways that are different to men, and vice versa.
However, there are always exceptions to this, and such roles should not be enforced - those who wish to follow them can, those that don't are fine not too.

Basically what I said overall was men and women are different, and will form into different roles that are generally similar to the rest of the gender's, though not always, whether or not society interferes, and this should be allowed to happen. No need to start pressuring women to start liking guns and cars and such because they're apparently a guy thing, and they should like them so there aren't gender roles any more, and no need to pressure them not to like them, because they're a guy thing and women shouldn't be doing them. Basically, live and let live, though this will generally lead to a formation of gender roles anyway.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
I don't believe in gender roles at all. So it's not even stupid or not stupid to me. Just doesn't exist. The fact people believe they exist is stupid to me.

People should stop defining themselves and their actions and likes vs dislikes on their physical sex.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
Oh, and girls are expected to become women after a certain age. The tomboy thing passes until about 18. Then they are considered weird at the least, or lesbians. So the double standard isn't as strong as people think, even with kids. Women are less of a threat so there is less direct hate, as women aren't respected as much as men or put on the same pedestal.

squeekenator

Dec 23, 2008
DevilWithaHalo said:
Angie7F said:
I think even within the same gender there are roles that come associated with the body build etc.
The first person to suggest that taller people have an obligation to help shorter people lift things off high shelves get's popped in the mouth. We are people with feelings! We are not just pieces of meat for you to use when it suits you!
Very much agreed! As another Person of Increased Height, I find the oppression we suffer on a day-to-day basis to be absolutely intolerable. I am routinely expected to grab things from high places, and am forced to endure the constant barrage of "my how you've grown" whenever I see old relatives. We need to end this systematic oppression at once!

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
squeekenator said:
DevilWithaHalo said:
Angie7F said:
Very much agreed! As another Person of Increased Height, I find the oppression we suffer on a day-to-day basis to be absolutely intolerable. I am routinely expected to grab things from high places, and am forced to endure the constant barrage of "my how you've grown" whenever I see old relatives. We need to end this systematic oppression at once!
My tall brothers and tall sisters, let us suffer the elongated yoke oppression no more!

scarecrow350

Apr 4, 2010
I just think of womens ability to do what men do without stigma as the 'pissing standing up and beards tax'
they can do whatever they want so long as I can grow a beard/mustache and use a urinal

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
I've worked in a blue-collar environment for the last decade, and it has been my experience that the least intelligent (also most elderly) of my coworkers are the strongest proponents for gender roles. There is the odd young person from a conservative background with similar feelings, but otherwise that statement tends to hold true.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Gender is entirely a social construct. I refer to people by whatever gender they want me to call them.

I personally identify with "male".