Poll: A Question To Atheists

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
My mum made me go to church, but didnt go herself. I hated it, it was so boring and i didnt believe in god from a very young age.

I remember asking the church leaders awkward questions about god as a very young child.

LOOY

Apr 14, 2008
School said: "Believ in god! Derp Derp Derp"
Parents said: "Believe what you want."
I said: "Well that's a relief, that god fellow sounded like a total c***"

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
my mum is atheist but she does believe in fate and guardian angels. she let me make up my own mind about religion, i'm not religious and i don't believe in fate or guardian angels.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I don't think my family care in any way about religion, but I don't think I ever believed in a god, we were occasionally read bible stories in school but I think that was just meant to be about teaching us morals and we viewed them like any other make believe story, so I was about as likely to believe in a magical man in the sky controlling us as I was to believe in the hungry hungry caterpillar.

Saul B

Feb 9, 2009
I was brought up with science rather than religion, but my parents didn't force me either way.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Well, my parents stopped being religious in the 1970's, like most people in this part of the Netherlands. So yeah, I was raised a nontheist and all my friends except one are atheists as well. Still (and probably because of that) I generally have no problem with religion.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Other.

More specifically, I grew up with a pair of aethiest parents who tried not to influence my beliefs. They hardly spoke about religion, but I did go to a Christian school where we did prayers before meals and in assembly, and heard passages form the Bible in our lessons. I think I believed in God until I was about five or six, then I stopped believing in everything; no Santa, Easter Bunny, Toothfairy, or God. They all seemed ridiculous to me, even then.

Admittedly, the school may have gone wrong by teaching the 'Bible Stories' often in the same slots we'd heard stories about Humpty-Dumpty.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
My mother is a catholic, but not a serious one, she only goes to mass at Christmas and Easter.My farther isnt religious. However my mother made sure me and my brothers did communium and confirmation. However, she is tolerant of my athiest beliefs.

When i was about 8 and doing my first communium (sp?) it made me think about Christianity, and i decided that there was no evidence to say God existed in the first place. The only evidence was from the Bible, but i thought it was a bit odd that God was prancing all over planet Earth- from making manna rain down from the sky, burning bushes, the virgin birth and all and nowadays, nothing happens. Further more, the various miracles all seemed a bit far fetched to me- and the only thing to back them up is the Bible. So i decided God probably did not exist. Thats what i decided when i was around eight.

Now, ten years later my reasons are more sophicated, but that is how and why i became an atheist.

Jun 13, 2009
I'm an agnostic who was raised as a Roman Catholic by my mother. My father isn't religious. I'm open to the idea of God but, for me, there isn't enough evidence to warrant me devoting my life to religion, however I refuse to deny a God as I believe there isn't enough evidence that way either.

I live by enjoying the world as it is, that way if there is a God I am enjoying His creation, which is a form of thanks. If there isn't, I'm enjoying life as it is. I lose nothing either way.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
My parents were never forceful about it, so it's pretty hard to figure out why I decided to become an atheist. One of the reasons was school, religion lessons were boring and people thought you were a loser for believing in God.

Buffoon

Sep 21, 2008
My mother was pretty open-minded (or, to put it more accurately, she went through a whole heap of different phases, trying to find meaning, like a lot of people do... a lot of new age stuff, mainly).

As a child I joined her in a lot of those beliefs, but I grew up to be a strong atheist through my own logical process. I can't deny, of course, that had I been raised differently I might have come to vastly different conclusions. But it goes without saying that had I been raised a Christian/Jew/Muslim/Hindu/whatever, the person I am now thinks the person I might have been would have been sadly misguided.

WlknCntrdiction

May 8, 2008
My parents aren't religious, but then they're not Atheist either. I just chose not to believe. My mums' mum on the other hand(who lives in Barbados thank *insert deity here*)is Christian through and through, whenver we go over there every two years or so I never hear the end of it from her lol.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
My parents are incredibly religious and frowned upon my atheism for a while, but they have learn to accept it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
My parents raised me with nothing, no views whatsoever. My grandma is pretty religious, and I joined her to church a couple of times because I wanted to see what it was. I also wanted to join an evangelical youth club for a few years, because some friends were on that, it was definatly good fun. But I still never became religious, I just never felt the need to explain things with magic. But I'm not really an atheist either, because I also don't feel the need to deny the existance of any supreme being. Afterall, I don't possess any knowledge, no one does, and my opinion is completely irrelivant. So why would I bother with one? I guess you can call me a "notcare-ist" or something.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
My parents raised me to percieve of things as I wished. They never instilled anything they thought or believed in my head, or atleast on purpose anyway.

But, I'm not really Atheist. Maybe I'm just against Christianity, who knows?

ohellynot

Jun 26, 2008
I think my parents(at least one of them) is\are christian though they have neer mentioned it. I´m an athiest though I am interested in the philosphical side of religeon, specificalyy christianity though as it is the most convinient