Poll: About the F-word...

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
So, lets talk about the F-word. With the F-word I mean of course: floccinaucinihilipilification [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Floccinaucinihilipilification], the longest non-technical English word in the dictionary (the longest technical word being: pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis]).

Uhm, right, seriously this time. 'fuck', henceforth called the F-word, is a word I see often on The Escapist. I also noticed its usage isn't against the rules (as the moderators do nothing), unless you verbally assault someone with it. While I personally have no objections against the F-word, I still find it strange that it is allowed here. Many forums disallow the word and if you say it in the movies you get an R-rating. Now, I'm not here to dispute the rules, but I was wondering about the usage in general.

What is your take on this?

EDIT: The Escapist has eaten my poll :(

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
ahem, i believe this quote applies here:
"It's not hurting anybody. Fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck."
-E Cartman.

Philol

Nov 7, 2011
I haven't a problem with it, as long as it's used tastefully, or at least as tastefully as it can be used. Other than that who gives a fuck.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
"Bad" words only hurt the thin skinned. I'm not tiptoeing around my vocabulary just to appease people that would get offended if I said anything worse than "Jehoshaphat!"

That said, I do still try to keep it classy when the situation calls for it.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
"Fornicating Under Consent of King" is a fine word if you ask me.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Personally, I don't give a fuck (Sorry! Had to) about swearing provided it's not used to verbally assault someone.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Considering that videos like Zero Punctuation and Jimquisition use the F-word freely without being censored, I don't really think it's a problem and I have no problem with it since the way they use it is justified in the style of their delivery. But then again, they are videos, and not written/typed words.

I do have a problem with it when people use it to attack someone and/or use it to the point where the actual message they want to get across is lost. Other than that, who cares.

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
Lets be honest, Fuck has lost most of it's controversy and it's just a word now - a word I use frequently. As for it's use here well I'm fairly certain that none of us are really offended by the word given our gaming hobbies and mostly liberal attitude.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I curse a lot and don't have a problem with it. I am however used not to swear on the internet since there's always someone who gets upset... and often it is against the rules.
Seems a bit silly sometimes when you're active on a forum/in a game where the community are mainly between 20-40 and people still gasp if you release the curses.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
It doesn't bother me. In fact, I think it's brilliant that we're given freedom with our language provided we're not directly insulting someone. If the Escapist introduced a language filter or started punishing the use of passive swears, I'd probably leave. Not only would that be extremely hypocritical, it would also be completely unnecessary.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
There's nothing wrong with words. Quite frankly, anyone who gets offended by it should grow, the fuck up. Whatever happened to sticks and stones?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
The English language is a brick wall and the word "Fuck" is our sledgehammer used to smash through it.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
Its a fuck-cunting word what shitting harm is it going to bastard do? The worst its going to do is cause offense, but guess what? When you get offended...Nothing happens!

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
It typically doesn't bother me unless the person is using it over and over and over.

When the first word that comes out of your mouth is "fuckin'...", I don't want to know you.

If you use it every second or third word, I don't want you anywhere near me.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
You know you can say the word FUCK in the title, right? The Escapist doesn't really care, as long as you aren't flaming others with it.

ffs-dontcare said:
It typically doesn't bother me unless the person is using it over and over and over.

When the first word that comes out of your mouth is "fuckin'...", I don't want to know you.

If you use it every second or third word, I don't want you anywhere near me.
Also, this. The only instances in which "Fuck" begins to annoy me - or even intimidate me.

ElNeroDiablo

Jan 6, 2011
"Yippie-kai-yay, ************!"
Eh, I don't get bloody-well offended if someone drops F-bombs, or S-bombs, the only *-bombs I care about are the original A-bomb and H-bomb and the bloody Yanks already dropped them back in 1945, so fuckit when it comes to cursing!

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Who gives a fuck?

I use it a lot here I've noticed, but I really struggle to see how and why someone would be offended at foul language, unless it's directed at them with an insult... but then it's the actual insult (like fat in fat fuck that's insulting) not the bad language/F-word.