Poll: About the F-word...

Aug 1, 2010
Censorship. Is. Bad.

Anytime you censor something for no better reason than "It might offend someone who sees it" you are making a mistake.

Luckily, the Escapist staff and moderation is smart enough to see that.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
The Escapist Forums are a bit more mature than most, and that includes the right to drop a few "offensive" terms when the need arises. A nice FUCK can really drive a point home, I find.

And you've noticed, even though this is allowed, most people don't fill their posts with cursing, so there obviously isn't a problem. I'm much more disturbed when words are replaced by stuff like #$%@ instead of just leaving those 4 letters in their full glory.

Sometimes, you just gotta swear. To quote Mozart: "Leck mir den Arsch fein recht schön sauber"
To those who don't understand German: Yes, it's vulgar. Very much so, in fact. But brilliant.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Fuck is just fun to say. Also, Yahtzee regularly uses ****, which to most people is still pretty taboo except under the most dire circumstances. I can call my boss lady a ***** and people who hear me (aside from my boss lady) will just think "Oh, he hates his boss! What else is new?" But if I call her a **** and someone overhears, chances are they'll think I have anger-management issues and report me or something.

**** is probably the edgiest word left in the English language, and the main bread-winner on this very website says it pretty often, so I don't think they'd mind us using fuck every now and then.

I think it's a rather smart policy. Ban flaming like any other forum, sure, but don't bother banning swearing because seriously, kids can find SO MUCH WORSE things on the internet.

And to those who say "I don't care what the fuck people think I will say what I want when I want!" Grow up. Yea, if someone's being a dick to you about your language, go ahead and throw it back in their face because they are just asking for it. But if someone is just uncomfortable by you swearing and makes a reasonable request in a reasonable way that you dial it back a bit, would it be the worst thing in the world to accommodate them? It's hardly an inconvenience to choose lighter words, isn't it? Plus, you getting offended by other people being offended doesn't really make sense.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
It's a fucking disgusting word to use!

(That was a joke)

I don't mind it personally, I just think people should avoid saying it around children since we don't know their parents wishes on the subject.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

I've always liked that this forum knows we'd just swear anyway and doesn't wrath us for it. Sure if your post is full of nothing but fucking fucked at the fuck fuck the mods will probably wrath you for it.

Because you're allowed to swear doesn't mean its a real common thing, that I've seen anyway. Hell, if a post is filled with the F-word I'm far more likely to disregard the comment's content due to the immature use of the word. As punctuation or as a stinger I'm alright with it. As every second word I roll my eyes and move on.

Personally I usually don't use it often so that when my friends see me use it retains some potency. But with children learning the words as early as Kindergarten, I don't think the word is as powerful as it once was anyway.

I'm fucking glad the fucking Escapist staff fucking ignores swearing in the fucking forums.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I like the BSG approach. Invent a word that means essentially the exact same thing and avoid censorship.

They say FRAK every other line in that show and it's awesome.

I think that show in it's own right proves that it's not the meaning of the word we care about as a society, it's the perception of a word. Which is just a stupid reason for censorship.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
ShadowsofHope said:
ffs-dontcare said:
It typically doesn't bother me unless the person is using it over and over and over.

When the first word that comes out of your mouth is "fuckin'...", I don't want to know you.

If you use it every second or third word, I don't want you anywhere near me.
Also, this. The only instances in which "Fuck" begins to annoy me - or even intimidate me.
That being said, though, I'm not really intimidated by it, I just hate unnecessary verbal repetition a lot, to the point where I want to choke them with my mind (but I only get that annoyed if they're swearing repeatedly).

I don't think people should get to keep their vocal cords when they abuse them like that, but that's just my opinion. :p

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Zyst said:
"Fornicating Under Consent of King" is a fine word if you ask me.
ninja'd, yeah that's what it means. a long time ago, you needed permission from the king to produce offspring.

Pebblig

Jan 27, 2011
In England, I've often (maybe a couple of times) heard the word used in 12A films (12 or younger so long as accompanied by an Adult) Such as in the film "Valkyrie" with Tom Cruise. Things just become more socially acceptable, which is why I think they should reclassify many old films (as the word once meant an 18 before).

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
ffs-dontcare said:
ShadowsofHope said:
ffs-dontcare said:
It typically doesn't bother me unless the person is using it over and over and over.

When the first word that comes out of your mouth is "fuckin'...", I don't want to know you.

If you use it every second or third word, I don't want you anywhere near me.
Also, this. The only instances in which "Fuck" begins to annoy me - or even intimidate me.
That being said, though, I'm not really intimidated by it, I just hate unnecessary verbal repetition a lot, to the point where I want to choke them with my mind (but I only get that annoyed if they're swearing repeatedly).

I don't think people should get to keep their vocal cords when they abuse them like that, but that's just my opinion. :p
It's not so much the word itself that is intimidating, but rather the gestures and facial expressions that come with it when someone is angry enough to swear like a crew of sailors all bundled up in one voice, in the middle of public or in the living room of your house.

But yeah, I understand that.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I don't like the principle behind swearing (at least meaningless ones, I can understand not using ******), but because I can't change that people get offended, I don't use them in public. I actually almost never use them at all.

You know, now that I see this Thing about Stuff in the corner, it made me think of something.

Fuck is like a lightsaber. Pull it out occasionally and in tasteful situations (the original trilogy) and it has meaning and power behind it, and is sometimes cheered on by an audience. But throw it around every chance you get just because you can (prequels) and you're a hack and should be exiled forever.

And still, don't do it in public. Because that's a dick move.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
4RM3D said:
So, lets talk about the F-word. With the F-word I mean of course: floccinaucinihilipilification [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Floccinaucinihilipilification], the longest non-technical English word in the dictionary (the longest technical word being: pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis]).
Longest word you say? [http://www.sarahmcculloch.com/luminaryuprise/longest-word.php#]

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Mojo_22 said:
4RM3D said:
So, lets talk about the F-word. With the F-word I mean of course: floccinaucinihilipilification [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Floccinaucinihilipilification], the longest non-technical English word in the dictionary (the longest technical word being: pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis]).
Longest word you say? [http://www.sarahmcculloch.com/luminaryuprise/longest-word.php#]
Damn, that made my head hurt, trying to read that.

Okay, so pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis lost to Methionyl-fucking-something (in the spirit of this thread). But floccinaucinihilipilification still gets the cake for the longest NON technical word. And it sounds funny! Speaking of which: lollapalooza [http://www.reference.com/browse/lollapalooza] sounds even more funny.

EDIT: It hurts even more trying to listen to that video.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
I love fuck (in every possible sense, verbal or otherwise *wink, wink, stupid 'joke'*). Especially the expression 'Shut the fuck up'. Man, that sounds so vibrant and awesome. And, basically, I like to use 'fuck' to emphasise an argument, or a statement. I think it does a pretty good job at that, and a lot of people think that the usage of curse words and such is distasteful, and prone only to idiots and 'unimaginative people, but to them people I'd like to say:

Dear Prejudgemental Masturbatory Produce,

Go and procede in making sexual intercourse, for the sake of procreation and propogation of the human species, with your own maternal, authoritative figure. Thank you,

Yours Sincerely,

A.T.
Edinburgh
United Kingdom
EH6 4TX.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
CulixCupric said:
Zyst said:
"Fornicating Under Consent of King" is a fine word if you ask me.
ninja'd, yeah that's what it means. a long time ago, you needed permission from the king to produce offspring.
No, this is an etymological urban legend. (It doesn't mean "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge", either.) Acronyms don't really show up in English until around World War II, and "fuck" is much, much older than that:

The Oxford English Dictionary said:
Probably cognate with Dutch fokken to mock (15th cent.), to strike (1591), to fool, gull (1623), to beget children (1637), to have sexual intercourse with (1657), to grow, cultivate (1772), Norwegian regional fukka to copulate, Swedish regional fokka to copulate (compare Swedish regional fock penis), further etymology uncertain[...]
(While we're on the subject, "shit" isn't an acryonym either.)

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
There really is no reason why people should react so badly to the word "fuck." I've noticed that all the people who have something against swearing never are able to explain what, exactly, the reason is that swearing is wrong. If I say "This ice cream is fucking delicious!" then they'll get offended, but they won't be able to say why it's bad of me to say somehting like that. Sure, they might say "it sounds bad," but so does Justin Bieber music and that's not considered immoral. My theory is that it's a remnant of when saying the names of evil spirits attracted them, and stuff like that, and now we don't have any reason for it anymore. But people still keep on enforcing this.

tl;dr: any society where saying "You're a fucking good person" is considered offensive and not seen as the compliment it is is not a sensible society.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Buzz Killington said:
The Oxford English Dictionary said:
Probably cognate with Dutch fokken to mock (15th cent.), to strike (1591), to fool, gull (1623), to beget children (1637), to have sexual intercourse with (1657), to grow, cultivate (1772), Norwegian regional fukka to copulate, Swedish regional fokka to copulate (compare Swedish regional fock penis), further etymology uncertain[...]
Yeah, blame it on the Dutch. At least we can say we did our part in 'fucking' up the world (pun obviously intended).

Also, damn CAPTCHA:

EDIT:

Queen Michael said:
...Sure, they might say "it sounds bad," but so does Justin Bieber music and that's not considered immoral...
LOL :)

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
I generally don't have an issue with swearing, although if I feel as though it may offend someone, or I'm in a formal setting, I'll try to avoid it. Oddly, I have no problem swearing on this forum, despite the very distinct possibility I might offend someone.

Oh, and I often punch my friends if they swear near children. Cause, y'know, demonstrating that physical violence is a good way to get one's point across is a far less harmful concept to children than a collection of random sounds that they probably already know anyway if they have a house with a TV.

Oh, yeah, and FUCK.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
rokkolpo said:
It's just an excuse for people to get all offended and whiny.
Yeah, after all, racism was eliminated centuries ago!
There's no need to be like that.
It's the fact that the word now a days is pure shock value in English speaking countries.It makes no sense whatsoever.

Even black people say it to other black people but are shocked when a white person says it.
That is racism.

Do you not agree?