Poll: According to my peers, PC gaming is inferior to consoles.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Well I was a PC gamer now I am a console gamer.

How did this happen? Well you get older and other things become important to. Then having to deal with drivers or settings just gets in the way. Yes I have sacrificed some Image Quality by going to Console side. But I actually can always trust the game runs.

Things I "miss" [not really]
- Mods
- Certain Games

But beyond that I like my consoles and I like the simplicity of a console, a controller and a television right to go.

I also moved from PC's to Laptops and put Ubuntu on it. Why? Because it is a work system not a gaming system. I just want things to work and that means choosing the most stable basis. And that is not windows...

In short I try to expend less energy and money. Yes PC games are cheaper then their console variants and have mods and better image quality. But to get that done you need to deal with Windows and Drivers and Settings. And worse keep an eye on the technology websites to know what new graphic and sound hardware is around.

Not to mention PC-game DRM. Yes I know Console Games have one big piece of DRM.. they are played on the console! But they do work! Unlike PC DRM which is evidently more in the way!

Really on my laptop I want to know what is going on and I am not going to give control to some Game DRM thing. No!

I get why some gamers play on the PC. More power to you!

shasjas

May 18, 2011
im a PS3 gamer and i think that PC gaming is superior if, and this is the crucial bit, you have the money to spend on a good PC.
and the reason for this is mods. and thats pretty much it. potentially nicer graphics are a bonus, but mods are the main reason.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
masticina said:
But beyond that I like my consoles and I like the simplicity of a console, a controller and a television right to go.

I also moved from PC's to Laptops and put Ubuntu on it.[....] And that is not windows...

[...]But to get that done you need to deal with Windows and Drivers and Settings.
Sorry, does not compute. You are putting up with Linux as your OS but complain about driver issues for games...

Its like saying "I enjoy the simplicity of my Toyota, thats why I built my own hotrod from scratch"

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
If you condense that poll to yes, no, maybe, and not the same, you'll see it's about 6.1% no, 5.4% yes, maybe 7.7%/ Not related 26.8%. That's easier to read.

Elivercury

May 25, 2009
Why does everyone seem to quote that PC gaming sucks because they don't like playing with a keyboard/mouse?

It's not like the PC can't accept both xbox and ps3 controllers, and vice versa, I was using a mouse for Red Alert back on the PS1, so there is no reason that the Xbox can't use a mouse+keyboard if desired (in fact you do for games like FFXI).

I mean, fundamentally surely this is a very simple argument? PC's are generally more powerful, therefore they're better. Now of course, because they are better they also cost more money.

At the end of the day though, the games are what you play, and is the bottom line for every platform v.s. platform argument. You use the platform that has the games you want to play. There is no point owning a platform that has games you're not interested in, even if it can show it with prettier textures.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
The poll says it all, except it isn't really apples and oranges, since pcs are mostly running console ports nowadays. When they aren't, pc gaming is clearly better. PC games have deeper richer gameplay than console-only or cross platform titles. Even when they are running console ports, you get better resolutions, better frame rates, better antialiasing, and a better online community. There is a gaming master race and they use PCs.

Now, what would be apples and oranges is PCs and portable titles. Portables have surprisingly good gameplay, deeper than the nonstop shooters and platformers you get with consoles. Still not quite as good as the PC, but after the PC, they'd be my second choice. Except for Housemarque titles, my PS3 is mainly a Blu-Ray palyer and video streamer, but at least does an admirable job of that.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Fearzone said:
The poll says it all, except it isn't really apples and oranges, since pcs are mostly running console ports nowadays. When they aren't, pc gaming is clearly better. PC games have deeper richer gameplay than console-only or cross platform titles. Even when they are running console ports, you get better resolutions, better frame rates, better antialiasing, and a better online community. There is a gaming master race and they use PCs.

Now, what would be apples and oranges is PCs and portable titles. Portables have surprisingly good gameplay, deeper than the nonstop shooters and platformers you get with consoles. Still not quite as good as the PC, but after the PC, they'd be my second choice. Except for Housemarque titles, my PS3 is mainly a Blu-Ray palyer and video streamer, but at least does an admirable job of that.
Because forget personal preference right?Sorry if I don't have the time to fuck around with drivers and shit, but thats because I have other hobbies

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
adamtm said:
masticina said:

I also moved from PC's to Laptops and put Ubuntu on it.[....] And that is not windows...

[...]But to get that done you need to deal with Windows and Drivers and Settings.
Sorry, does not compute. You are putting up with Linux as your OS but complain about driver issues for games...

Its like saying "I enjoy the simplicity of my Toyota, thats why I built my own hotrod from scratch"
Ah read again slower ;)

Seriously once I moved to consoles and have to reinstall windows... again.. for the second time in 6 months I was done with it. I wanted something I could trust to run. And don't get to me with "well if you kept windows clean" ... it was Windows Vista! Yeah one of those "Hidey Hole" systems that loves to HIDE things. If there was a problem I just didn't want to do the bug hunt anymore.

Linux worked.

Do I miss a few games you know not really in the end sure some really lovely games like Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines but I can get over that!

Violator[xL]

Nov 14, 2007
As long as no console offers games for REAL strategists like Total War, Europa Universalis or similar titles, why on earth would it be superior? Because you can play 'button smash revolution & dance like a highschool moron' on those?

Asdalan08

Jun 19, 2010
PC Gaming is technically superior if you care about fancy graphics and have a spare grand or two lying around to spend on the latest graphics card c-c-c-combo breaker to make your framerate slightly higher than the last model. I personally prefer console gaming but thats really because I already use my PC for everything and don't want to rely on one sole machine cause I'm superstitious like that.

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
Agreed neither system is superior, although apperantly some people don't get that when you flat out say it so here I am saying it again, they're both different neither one is better and I doubt either will be around for another generation or so

Aug 25, 2009
PC Gaming? Not really comparable to Console Gaming. It's like asking if Rock is inferior to Disco. They might be in the same medium of music, they might even share songs and artists, but they are so different that they shouldn't be compared.

PC Gamers? Elitist arrogant dicks and an entirely separate species to Console Gamers.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
RhombusHatesYou said:
Danny 6Speed said:
PC gamers expecting everybody to pay $2000 for things to look shiny.
Yeah except that most PC gamers will call you an idiot if you pay that much for a PC, but hey, don't let reality get in your way.
I think he confused Apple fanboys with PC gamers.

OT: OP that friend you have on FB is an idiot, please feel free to tell him I said that.

PC is a superior platform that can do everything a console can and much more but games are no better on a PC unless better graphics = better game in your tiny little mind. It really all comes down to preference for what platform you want and if the excluive titles for that platform are what you want. but the smart ones will choose multiple platforms.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
masticina said:
adamtm said:
masticina said:

Ah read again slower ;)

Seriously once I moved to consoles and have to reinstall windows... again.. for the second time in 6 months I was done with it. I wanted something I could trust to run. And don't get to me with "well if you kept windows clean" ... it was Windows Vista! Yeah one of those "Hidey Hole" systems that loves to HIDE things. If there was a problem I just didn't want to do the bug hunt anymore.

Linux worked.

Do I miss a few games you know not really in the end sure some really lovely games like Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines but I can get over that!
No I still do not understand.
I never understand people that say they reinstall their windows every 3/6 months. I didn't reinstall windows once since i got this machine two years ago. I sometimes wonder what people do on those machines that need a /format C:\ every 6 months.
Seriously the only times I broke windows it was pretty much either on purpose, by my own stupidity (this system32.sys looks suspicious lets delete it!!!!), or massive hardware failure (like that never happens in consoles).

I don't understand the "installation of the game, and drivers and patches and crap" argument either since there is Steam or other launchers that autopatch and have essentially no installation at all beyond the download.

Like i said, you run Linux, I never could wrap my head around linux (and I'm not exactly technologically impaired). Its one of the most unnecessary complicated OS ive ever seen. Seriously I appreciate that the haxxors like to control the cpu fan via command-line. But to say you switched to Linux because Windows was too "buggy" and linux "worked" just reminds me of Steve Jobs and the Mac spin about how it just works. Seamlessly.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
Zanarch812 said:
PC Gaming is technically superior if you care about fancy graphics and have a spare grand or two lying around to spend on the latest graphics card c-c-c-combo breaker to make your framerate slightly higher than the last model. I personally prefer console gaming but thats really because I already use my PC for everything and don't want to rely on one sole machine cause I'm superstitious like that.
My PC cost 700 euros and it can play everything that's out right now on high settings.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
Watching someone play FPS on console is like watching special olympics, if you have ever used a computer mouse.