Poll: Adamantium vs Lightsaber

SteveZim1017

Jan 14, 2009
Time to nerd out again....

how about we just make a vibrosword out of a carbonfiber/graphite core with an edge of antarctic vibranium (anti-metal) and call it quits.

it would combine the best of both universes into a weapon that can stop a lightsaber AND cut through adamantium.

read and nerdify thyself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibranium#Properties_and_known_abilities

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vibrosword

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
crudus said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Not everything melts. Now everything is destructible tho :p
Pretty sure having four states of being is a property of matter. The transition from solid to liquid being melting.
Perhaps but adamantium is slightly different than most metals it has a melting point higher than plasma(it was liquefied through a multi layered process and grafted on wolverines bones), it also has some energy altering properties tho they are not well documented.

For all intensive propose its marvels version of
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cortosis

or

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Phrik

Neither are prefect, both have have strengths and weaknesses.

Feb 13, 2008
Lightsabers only produce heat incidentally, so your flesh would burn, not cauterise. (Not hot enough....though would set surrounding clothes on fire).

Against Adamantium though, it would deflect off; and require holding it against the Adamantium to cut (not melt) through it.

(You can see similar with Thermite versus Titanium)

Simply: Lightsabers are shaped plasma; if Obi-Wan struck Wolverine with it, it would shear through his flesh, but dissipate around the Admantium.

(Proof: Lightsabers in Star Wars do set damage, Adamantium in Marvel deflects all heat up to pure nuclear fusion (Sun))

Caveat: The flesh around the Adamantium WOULD cauterise as the Adamantiums heat would cauterise the wound.

SteveZim1017 said:
how about we just make a vibrosword out of a carbonfiber/graphite core with an edge of antarctic vibranium (anti-metal) and call it quits.
Problem, Vibrainium absorbs energy (mostly sound), so the blade couldn't vibrate. A mono-molecular Vibranium sword could work, but it'd still have problems being swung too fast.

SteveZim1017

Jan 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Lightsabers only produce heat incidentally, so your flesh would burn, not cauterise. (Not hot enough....though would set surrounding clothes on fire).

Against Adamantium though, it would deflect off; and require holding it against the Adamantium to cut (not melt) through it.

(You can see similar with Thermite versus Titanium)

Simply: Lightsabers are shaped plasma; if Obi-Wan struck Wolverine with it, it would shear through his flesh, but dissipate around the Admantium.

(Proof: Lightsabers in Star Wars do set damage, Adamantium in Marvel deflects all heat up to pure nuclear fusion (Sun))

Caveat: The flesh around the Adamantium WOULD cauterise as the Adamantiums heat would cauterise the wound.

SteveZim1017 said:
Problem, Vibrainium absorbs energy (mostly sound), so the blade couldn't vibrate. A mono-molecular Vibranium sword could work, but it'd still have problems being swung too fast.
you are thinking of wikandan vibranium. I believe antarctic vibranium has the exact opposite properties and would actually enhance the vibration.

TheMan2203

Sep 14, 2010
i love this shit :) its why forums exist. In all fairness though i unno i'd probably go for the lightsaber, it might not cut through buuuut the superfast warrior magician holding the damn thing could probs poke u in the eye with it until u surrender.

Feb 13, 2008
SteveZim1017 said:
you are thinking of wikandan vibranium. I believe antarctic vibranium has the exact opposite properties and would actually enhance the vibration.
Reverse problem then, Antarctic vibranium would be impossible to hold for long because it would work on the metal ions in your body and kill you super-fast, as well as making it unable to be held.

You could make a Needler gun of Antarctic V though, as long as it's a ceramic gun that shields you. Or a W.V. whip...I think? Either way, it'd be like making a teflon sword.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Why would you ever think a lightsaber would win? I suppose you can try to apply "science" here, abstracting from what we know about adamantium and lightsabers to try to get at how they "really" work well enough to come to a conclusion. But that seems silly given that adamantium has one explicit, defining characteristic: it's indestructable. Nowhere is it really said that a lightsaber can cut through "anything", we just haven't seen it fail to cut through anything (cortosis shorts it out, it doesn't actually prevent the cutting).

I think explicit indestructibility beats implicit cutting ability.

The_Evermind

Jul 7, 2009
It seems to me that we can all agree that what ever happens the lightsaber couldn't cut through without resistance, so someone with a lightsaber could lock blades with someone weilding a admantium sword at least for a little bit. It seems to me that although a lightsaber would be able to cut through admantium it would be a laborious process. The admantium wouldn't simply diffuse the lightsaber and shut it off like cortosis. To me the interesting battle would be between someone wielding a lightsaber and wolverine because in my way of thinking wolverine would be able to hold off the lightsaber with his claws but because the layer around his bones is so thin it might only be able to hold off a light hit instead of a prolonged strike making the battle come down to the skill of the combatants.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
"some parties found a way to duplicate it on a larger and more cost-effective scale at the expense of quality and durability. For most practical purposes, this secondary adamantium is also largely indestructible. Conventional weapons, such as ballistic missiles, have no effect on it and it is far stronger than even the most durable of titanium or steel compounds."

The original Adamantium is immensely stronger then that version.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Jaime_Wolf said:
Why would you ever think a lightsaber would win? I suppose you can try to apply "science" here, abstracting from what we know about adamantium and lightsabers to try to get at how they "really" work well enough to come to a conclusion. But that seems silly given that adamantium has one explicit, defining characteristic: it's indestructable. Nowhere is it really said that a lightsaber can cut through "anything", we just haven't seen it fail to cut through anything (cortosis shorts it out, it doesn't actually prevent the cutting).

I think explicit indestructibility beats implicit cutting ability.
Actually, there's been cases where Adamantium has broken.

But this could be due to the Adamantium being of a weaker form, ie Second Adamantium.

As Sabertooth has later on, Adamantium claws and one of them is broken(never explained how)

Adamantium is indestructible more on human means. But considering the fantasy world, anything's possible.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
I read somewhere that the ions of a lightsaber beam would cause vibrations in the adamantium structure, reforming the particles and thus form a generator of anti-matter, which results in both combatants ceasing to exists.

...Well, I didn't actually read any of the likes, but hey, who knows, right?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Light sabers aren't the be-all-end all weapon, there's actually 2 known metals that work against light sabers. One shorts them out and deactivates them for a short time and another one is highly resistant, so I would say that Wolverine has nothing to fear in this, it'd probably take 6 hours to cut through anything coated in the material.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
SteveZim1017 said:
binnsyboy said:
binnsyboy said:
UBER-SNIP
It's funny because he thinks Star Wars has magic. (force does not = magic) enchantments... *snort* but yeah, cortosis, and mandalorian metal (Beskar)
Beskar! thank you! I could not remember the mandolorian name for the metal. I felt so incomplete nerding out on star wars and marvel universe minutia and not being able to fully complete the process.
Yeah, I love having epic star wars knowledge. I've always had a passionate interest in mandalore-lore(?) Even more so after meeting Jeromy Bulloch (the original Fett man himself!) If only there were a section of this website where we could have nerd-offs about various topics.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Problem is, we have no idea how the two weapons interact because they are in two different fictional universes. Cortosis can stand up, to some extent, against a lightsaber, but since cortosis and adamantium don't exist in the same fictional universe, we cannot compare the strength of the two metals. Nor can we test the effect that a lightsaber has on adamantium. Thus, the question is simply unanswerable. I would predict a lightsaber would win, but it is also possible that adamantium has properties similar to cortosis that allow it to resist the energy of a lightsaber. But we simply cannot know.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I stick by my previous answer in the other Adamantium vs Lightsaber topic that was already created.

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
Honestly I cant really choose one over the other, Adamantium is supposed to be 'so strong' that once its taken to melting point it has to be kept damn hot otherwise it sets permanently, so if Lightsabers are indeed the solid light energy constructs they appear to be (I'm not entirely knowledgeable on them, I just know they can burn through large metal blast doors, which probably weren't even adamantium) maybe they'd just make the adamantium damn hot with continued contact but not melt it at all?

Perhaps there's no ultimate winner at all and both sides of this issue are as strong as one another? one made of solid energy, the other made of an indestructible metal.

Either way, I cant vote on something I'm not entirely sure of, but that's just my five pence on the issue, good luck finding a resolution.