Poll: Am I disgusting for not paying for the first date?

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
As a man who was deeply inspired by chivalry when I was growing up... I used to always pay. But some girls will take offense or be suspicious. I've learned to go "so do you want to split the tab?" while making it obvious that I'm about to pay for it otherwise(pull up the wallet, get out the bills for the full sum, or the debit card), and if she's looking undecisive I'll just say "you can pay for the next one if you want".

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Redlin5 said:
I always ask "Do you want me to pay for this?". That way I can if that's what she wants or she can chose to treat me instead.

Ultimately its not whats important. What is important is that SOMEONE pays for it if the night was worth it for both people involved and that usually isn't decided at the table.
THIS! I generally think that trying to resort to subtext and conventions on etiquette is detrimental to a relationship when chosen over actually communicating with each other. My girlfriend trained me quite thoroughly to think more pragmatically than that.

Alexsi

Mar 7, 2012
Not paying for the date is fine. Assuming that it makes you a better person to default to not paying for the date is disgusting. If you're going for equality, then you stick to logical considerations:

Which of you is wealthier?
Who asked and who accepted for the date?
Who picked the restaurant or film?

If you're the asker, picker of establishment, and/or wealthier party then you should probably begin with offering to pay. Deciding your choice of action uniformly based upon defining every party you could date as 'the female I am on a date with' is significantly more sexist than what is ultimately an act of generosity... functionally, if you want to decide as equal parties, the course of action is this:

Consider who should pay for it via a variety of factors, none of which is gender.
If yourself, begin by offering to pay; if your partner, ask how she would like to have it paid.
Work something out, then look back to ensure the decision is based upon a compromise between your desires rather than assumptions of philosophy or tradition.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Dutch on the first date is fine. Hell, Dutch on every date is fine. It really depends on the people involved.

If you want to cover all your bases, offer. If she declines and indicates a desire to pay her half, don't push the issue.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Olas said:
I think you could interpret it as being anti-female as well since it probably originated from the mindset that men are generally the breadwinners and have higher paying jobs and thus more money, whereas women are the weaker sex that needs to be protected and provided for. Even though women may benefit from it, the justification for it could be seen as offensive towards them.
Yes, I know. The gesture has its origins there. However, the reactions that the OP was talking about (men being called disgusting for not paying a bill) is an example of sexism against men.

Speaking of sexism inherent in polite gestures, I have a male friend who wanted to open and hold doors for women, but got called sexist for it. His response was to open and hold doors for everyone no matter their age, sex, or anything else. He said that it couldn't be sexist if he treated everyone the same - and he was right. Now he just comes off as extremely polite, and he still gets to open and hold doors for women (and everyone else).

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Female here
I don't expect the guys I go out with to pay for me, I prefer splitting the bill.
If they really insist, then I'll let them. (some guys take that really seriously and get offended/hurt when you want to split the bill, which is why this topic is here in the first place). If I invited you, knowing you don't have any money, I'll pay.

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
Holy_Handgrenade said:
This is a subject I've debated with my friends at length, when a friend stated that a guy should pay for a woman on dates. After I told him I didn't do that with my current girlfriend and I didn't do that for my first date which he found even more shocking, he accused me of not being a gentleman. My reasoning behind not paying for a girl is a case of sexism. while I'd never bang home to anyone that they shouldn't pay for a date, I chose not to due to the fact that a relationship should be built on equality and that old tradition is kind of starting it on the wrong foot. The reason I thought about this again is because I was watching a UK show called 'First Dates' in which a man insists he will pay for the woman as if he doesn't it's disgusting. Now Escapists, what is your view?
For me it depends on who initiated the date. If I was seeking someone to have a social time with and asked someone to give me a night of their time then I naturally expect myself to be paying.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Not answering the poll.

The correct answers are "Go Dutch", "Offer (Don't Insist) to Pay" or "Decide in Advance", none of which are options.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
If it's truly a "date," then the person who asked the other out should pay.

If it's more of an agreed to "hey, maybe we should go do this" then you can negotiate or ask or deal with splitting. However, an actual date, proposed by one person to another, implies "I would like to take YOU out somewhere. It's on me."

RiseUp

Jan 31, 2014
I don't think it should be a gender obligation for the guys to pay for the first date, but I tend to do it anyway to make a good impression. For the sake of equality though, guys shouldn't feel obliged to pay for their dates' meal. I don't know why it's so ingrained in our culture still.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
You are not disgusting for not paying for a date their is absolutely nothing wrong with splitting a check. I would even go and say the worst you could get are the "ungentlemanly" but that little bit of shame don't mean much way back when there was a reason but right now its just a hollow expectation.

Personally I would rather go full out treat in a established relationship over the beginning of it because that just makes more sense to me.

So not paying for the date doesn't make you digusting and I would not worry the whole 'ungentlemanly" thing as long as the two parties enjoy themselves and no one is being a jerk about its fine.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I insist on paying for the first few dates but once I'm in a relationship things tend to even out, E.g sometimes we buy our own, sometimes I pay, sometime she pays.

I'm not sure why I have the compulsion while dating, I just feel really weird if I don't pay (I've not paid on a couple of occasions), I don't quite know how to explain it, possibly it was just how I was raised so going against it feels unnatural to me.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
I'm a man and I'll always intend to pay. If she wants to split, fine, if not, fine as well.

A first date is not the time to ponder on traditional gender roles, not for me anyways. I simply and selfishly want to maximize my chances by trying to be gentlemanlike and not coming across as cheap. If a woman isn't happy with me intending to pay, well, as somewhat of a feminist myself and no stranger to these debates, a good conversation might result out of that, so it's a win-win.

But if someone wants to make a statement about supposed reverse sexism here, then of course by all means he's free to go ahead.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
It's a courtesy thing. I'd say that whoever asked the other one out would normally pay, if not it can be worked out between the two of them. I don't think that the man should always pay in the same way that I don't think that the woman should, as a rule I do pay for, or at least offer to pay for, whomever I'm going out with, at least for the first few dates.
As a man who, on the whole normally dates men, I guess the gender bit doesn't really apply to me.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
I'd start off by just asking them how they want to proceed, if they leave you with the decision then offer to split it (either by price or by what each person ate).

If they want you to pay then you get to decide if the cost of dating that person outweighs the benefits or otherwise

Simples

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
No you're not disgusting. If you picked your nose, wiped it on the bill, then handed it to your date...that would be disgusting.
But you need a "it depends" in the poll. In this day and age I think the proper etiquette should be that whoever did the asking out should pay for (and arrange for that matter) the date.

On the other side of the scale, my friend thinks women who don't at least offer to split the bill are disgusting.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I just always assumed both pay their own, especially on the first date.

If one is asking the other out, especially to an expensive place or somewhere the one being asked wouldn't go on their own, then it might be different.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I much prefer to split the bill but I'll always offer to pay. If she insists that she wants to pay I'll bring up the split the bill idea. With my current girlfriend though we pay for each other depending on who's idea or exactly who's treating who.