Poll: Am I The Only One Bothered By How In Diablo III.......

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Phoenix_XIII said:
Very true... I think Barbarian is just Blizzard's Favorite Class because he seems to be in every Diablo.... I think he was in D1.
He wasn't. Diablo 1 was Warrior, Rogue and Sorcerer. Male sorcerer, not the one you see in Diablo 2.

Each of the Diablo 1 protagonist also made a cameo as a villain in Diablo 2, including the Warrior himself who was the 'official' player character you see in all the Diablo 2 cinematics slowly going bonkers.

A third party expansion also added monks, but frankly their monk sucked and the Diablo 3 one looks better in pretty much every way possible.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
I never played as a summoning class in any previous Diablo games, this isn't going to change for Diablo 3, so no. It doesn't bother me at all. However, I know people enjoy playing as a summoning class, so I can see why this would be slightly annoying.

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Byere said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
I tried the Assassin Class but I really couldn't get into it. I don't know what it is, but I don't like being surrounded by a lot of things wanting to use my bones as toothpicks. So that's why I use Summons to clear everything out. Summons can deal with smaller things while letting you focus on the bigger things. And from what I've seen from the Final Boss Battle in Diablo II, It's best to have massive armies to do your bidding while you try not to get killed.
The Assassin class was basically a duel-wielder who used poisons and explosives to cut down larger amounts of foes in seconds. Unlike the barbarian who just wades into battle swinging whatever is equipped, the assassin uses claw-type weapons. These are some of the fastest weapons in the game so you can strike many more times than other characters can. Not only that but she gains not only defence from Agility, but also attack. The higher your agility, the more powerful your attacks become. Combine this with the ability to poison your weapons, throw high-explosive grenades and set traps that shoot bolts of lightning (among other things) and you have some serious crowd control.
To be honest, it's all personal opinion. I don't like summoning classes because it means having to keep watch on your mana and constantly summoning things when I can just rush headlong into battle and cut everything to ribbons. If you're constantly getting minions to do your work, you're not powering up your character enough. If your character is weak when the enemy gets past your minions, your screwed.
Well in the case of the Necro, if you had mana potions and your minions killed atleast SOMETHING, you never really ran out of minions. I see where you're coming from with that though. When I was fighting Andariel with my Druid she just cut my summons to pieces and then ran after me. It wasn't too fun.

The big problem I had really with non-Summoning classes was that if I was running low on health (especially in a boss fight and even in the beginning) I'd have to run away and heal myself. It didn't work too well in Boss fights because something would always be chasing me. A melee class was too hard for me to use in D2.

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
The Madman said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
Very true... I think Barbarian is just Blizzard's Favorite Class because he seems to be in every Diablo.... I think he was in D1.
He wasn't. Diablo 1 was Warrior, Rogue and Sorcerer. Male sorcerer.

Each of the Diablo 1 protagonist also made a cameo as a villain in Diablo 2, including the Warrior himself who was the 'official' player character you see in all the Diablo 2 cinematics slowly going bonkers.

A third party expansion also added monks, but frankly their monk sucked and the Diablo 3 one looks better in pretty much every way possible.
Ah. Sometimes I get classes confused. I play way too many computer games. XDDD

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Phoenix_XIII said:
The Madman said:
Phoenix_XIII said:

Actually there kinda was a barbarian in D1. It was supposed to be the 2nd extra class in the Hellfire expansion next to the monk. He wasnt included in the final version, but he still is in the code and can be activated by tweaking an .ini file. It basically is a warrior with permanent 0 magic that can use a two handed weapon and a shield at the same time.
plus btw the monk didnt suck.With a unique leather armor and staff he was superior to any warrior.

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Fetzenfisch said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
The Madman said:
Phoenix_XIII said:

Actually there kinda was a barbarian in D1. It was supposed to be the 2nd extra class in the Hellfire expansion. He wasnt included in the final version, but can be activated by tweaking an .ini file. It basically is a warrior with permanent 0 magic that can use a two handed weapon and a shield at the same time.
So a more epic Warrior? That class would've come in handy in D1.

Also, why wasn't the Hellfire expansion included in the Diablo Battlechest?

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Phoenix_XIII said:
Well in the case of the Necro, if you had mana potions and your minions killed atleast SOMETHING, you never really ran out of minions. I see where you're coming from with that though. When I was fighting Andariel with my Druid she just cut my summons to pieces and then ran after me. It wasn't too fun.

The big problem I had really with non-Summoning classes was that if I was running low on health (especially in a boss fight and even in the beginning) I'd have to run away and heal myself. It didn't work too well in Boss fights because something would always be chasing me. A melee class was too hard for me to use in D2.
That's fair enough. Like I said, personal opinion. Everyone plays it how they prefer :)
I admit, as a melee player, I often had the same problem with bosses. Most often than not, life was the biggest bugger of them all. In D2, the Horodric Cube was your friend as you could warp back to previous levels and buy loads of small potions cheap and merge them to make them better. D3 is going to be different though. I'm not sure if potions are in this one, but there are healing drops from enemies that are automatically added to your HP/mana as you pick them up so you don't have to worry as much. In the case of bosses, if THEY send loads of minions out at you, you just need to cut them down and pick up said drops to constantly heal yourself in battle... but who knows?

Gonna be fun to play either way.

Can't wait to test out the Witch Doctor. Locust Swarms galore :D
Nothing like making skeletons of your foes...

Hm... Question though... How on earth out that work on actual skeletons? There's no flesh on them, so how would a swarm of locusts eat them to death? o_O

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Byere said:
Phoenix_XIII said:

That's fair enough. Like I said, personal opinion. Everyone plays it how they prefer :)
I admit, as a melee player, I often had the same problem with bosses. Most often than not, life was the biggest bugger of them all. In D2, the Horodric Cube was your friend as you could warp back to previous levels and buy loads of small potions cheap and merge them to make them better. D3 is going to be different though. I'm not sure if potions are in this one, but there are healing drops from enemies that are automatically added to your HP/mana as you pick them up so you don't have to worry as much. In the case of bosses, if THEY send loads of minions out at you, you just need to cut them down and pick up said drops to constantly heal yourself in battle... but who knows?

Gonna be fun to play either way.

Can't wait to test out the Witch Doctor. Locust Swarms galore :D
Nothing like making skeletons of your foes...

Hm... Question though... How on earth out that work on actual skeletons? There's no flesh on them, so how would a swarm of locusts eat them to death? o_O
They eat their bones! XDD

Odds are I'll play as the Witch Doctor. At least they summon at least one thing we know of. And that's enough for me I guess.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Don't usually like summoning characters, there is certain game styles where it is interesting but I far prefer the omfg-explosion-caster and the stab-you-from-the-shadows-with-ALL-of-my-knives class archetypes.

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Feylynn said:
Don't usually like summoning characters, there is certain game styles where it is interesting but I far prefer the omfg-explosion-caster and the stab-you-from-the-shadows-with-ALL-of-my-knives class archetypes.
I usually only go with a Rouge type class in MMO's without summoners (Example: Kabod Online).

Ilyak1986

Dec 16, 2010
Honestly it seems that D3 will be worse than D2 in terms of how quick it flows. For instance in D2, you could cut down entire armies with a couple of sorceress spells and teleport all over the place. Coupled with knowing where you were going from moment one (heheheh), it made for very quick runs.

With wizard having a massive cooldown on her teleport, that's really making me sad in the pants D:

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Ilyak1986 said:
Honestly it seems that D3 will be worse than D2 in terms of how quick it flows. For instance in D2, you could cut down entire armies with a couple of sorceress spells and teleport all over the place. Coupled with knowing where you were going from moment one (heheheh), it made for very quick runs.

With wizard having a massive cooldown on her teleport, that's really making me sad in the pants D:
It's oddly strange how bad it might seem. I mean, I think they've been working on this game for around 10 years. You'd think they would've had time to ask how fans would feel about certain classes. Then again, this is Blizzard we're talking about.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Phoenix_XIII said:
They have less classes than in Diablo II and they aren't exactly that good? In Diablo II I played as either a Druid or Necromancer because they could pretty much raise armies of Spirits / Skeletons and other stuff so it helped me out because face it: A lot of stuff in Diablo II was difficult up close. I don't know how I would've beaten Blood Raven if it weren't for my skeleton army. There were too many things around her and she ran away whenever you got close to her. Melee was really hard for me. And using Bows or Crossbows wasn't very easy for me. They have ONE class where you can summon, but the summoning doesn't come until later on. Having a true Summoning class is very important. It gives people who aren't that skilled at melee, magic, or long distance attacking a very good advantage. I kind of feel just cut out of Diablo III's plan here.

What are your thoughts?
Well the druid was in the expansion so let's count for a second.

Barbarian
Demon hunter
Sorceress
Witch Doctor
Monk

Now let's count again

Barbarian
Paladin
Necromancer
Sorceress
Amazon

I think your counting is off unless I missed something. And no, the Assassin and Druid aren't counted as they were found in the expansion.

As for the summoning, the Witch Doctor is there for summoning as I understand it.

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
Phoenix_XIII said:
melee, magic, or long distance
So you basicly suck with everything? That's a'ight. There will be companions and enough builds that will help you get around your lack of skill. Don't worry mate, Diablo 3 is gonna be a blast

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Kurokami said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
They have less classes than in Diablo II and they aren't exactly that good? In Diablo II I played as either a Druid or Necromancer because they could pretty much raise armies of Spirits / Skeletons and other stuff so it helped me out because face it: A lot of stuff in Diablo II was difficult up close. I don't know how I would've beaten Blood Raven if it weren't for my skeleton army. There were too many things around her and she ran away whenever you got close to her. Melee was really hard for me. And using Bows or Crossbows wasn't very easy for me. They have ONE class where you can summon, but the summoning doesn't come until later on. Having a true Summoning class is very important. It gives people who aren't that skilled at melee, magic, or long distance attacking a very good advantage. I kind of feel just cut out of Diablo III's plan here.

What are your thoughts?
Well the druid was in the expansion so let's count for a second.

Barbarian
Demon hunter
Sorceress
Witch Doctor
Monk

Now let's count again

Barbarian
Paladin
Necromancer
Sorceress
Amazon

I think your counting is off unless I missed something, and no, the assassin and druid aren't counted as they were found in the expansion.

As for the summoning, witch doctor is there for summoning.
Then on the website they should showcase more summoning skills for him.

And yeah I accidentally forgot one. XDD

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
sergnb said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
melee, magic, or long distance
So you basicly suck with everything? That's a'ight. There will be companions and enough builds that will help you get around your lack of skill. Don't worry mate, Diablo 3 is gonna be a blast
I'm just really used to using Summoners. I was pretty good with the Warrior in D1. In D2 things just got harder.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Phoenix_XIII said:
Then on the website they should showcase more summoning skills for him.
Haven't checked, all I know is that he did summon shit when I looked at some gameplay videos.

Btb, the only reason you relied on summoning to kill people is because you chose to take/focus on summoning abilities. Don't get me wrong, they were cool and I enjoyed them throughout my first play through, but had you focused on other skillsets you would have easily gone through Blood Raven and the rest of the bosses.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Phoenix_XIII said:
thirion1850 said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
thirion1850 said:
Druids were added in the expansion, however. I'm sure they'll get around to it. Thing is, though, I've already played Diablo 3. It's called Torchlight.
Speaking of which, do you recommend that game? I watched Yahtzee's review on it and the game still kind of interests me.
It's not bad. With all the mods you can get for it, it can get pretty expansive. Not much customization on looks, but it certainly relieves tension and is buildable as with Diablo.
I see. I'll have to look into getting it.
I've played it and it's not that bad at all. If Torchlight is a precursor to D3, then I would infer that Diablo 3 is going to be well worth the wait. The biggest thing I loved about Torchlight was the fact that you had a Shared Loot chest in town. What this does is allow you to store weapons, armor and other items for when you make new characters and the like. The skill trees were a little confusing at first, but it only takes a little bit of time getting used to them. The only things that I nitpicked about was the AoE attacks and the skill trees, but practice makes those AoE attacks better and I already said my piece about dem trees.

Definitely recommend if you have the points and enjoy the Diablo series, as Torchlight is a good cartoonish clone of it.

Azzy222

May 5, 2011
Now this is just my opinion, but I don't think *Not* having a Summoner is a bad thing . All my friends always picked summoners and ran around with an army half the size of China each. So for me, making them do stuff themselves and actually have to work together is a good thing.