Poll: (Another) feminism discussion

TurkeyProphet

Aug 18, 2009
ShiningAmber said:
It is a problem. If the tables were reversed to the same degrees, there would be a far larger uproar in my opinion. I fully believe when the vast majority of men say that it's hardly a problem/no problem to the large amounts of women standing up and saying it is a problem, well, that really says something.
There aren't large amounts of women saying this. There is a vocal minority who get lots of attention. Most women I know still think videogames are for children and they wouldn't even consider looking at one much less care that they aren't being represented in them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fox12 said:
In all honesty, I can't help but feel like these comments miss the point. I think a lot of people are irritable about the above games, not because there are sexually attractive women in them, but because sexual attraction seems to be their defining, and sometimes only, trait.

Nailed it in one. The problem is that people frequently try and make it about something completely different.

Norithics said:
Nobody stands up and says "hey, we shouldn't let any girls in our treehouse" anymore,
Hi. You must be new to gaming, where that's actually a fairly common mentality.

You can't yell and rally and put up big political bills to fix these very subtle problems with the way our society works[/quote]

How fortunate, then, that people really aren't. Again, the issue is framing. When a woman who drones on about tropes can be considered a radical extremist who is crusading to destroy gaming as we know it!!!! what then, is a measured or reasonable response?

When people say something as innocuous as "I would like more/better female representation in games," the opposition shouts and screams and attacks.

The tool set for people who want fair treatment of women is usually calmer and less histrionic than the opposition. This is in stark contrast with your notion that the tool set is outdated; it seems being reasonable still begets an unreasonable response, affording little reason to actually remain reasonable.

Still, minorities and women are put to the screws in that if they raise their voices even slightly, it's because they're typically angry or hysterical. There is a measured and active response in that a woman getting as angry as a man is considered a bad thing, same with the "angry negro" stereotype (which also apparently applies to latinos). There is a double standard here that is quite pervasive: women have to be careful to remain calm, because the minute they raise their voices, they're out of control. Hell, they probably already are. There's a reason The Amazing Atheist's tantrums are considered less "extreme" than the bland recitals of Anita Sarkeesian. Men are, quite frankly, entitled to tantrums in our society. This doesn't cut "both ways," either, to be frank. It's not even considered part of the man-child stereotype which carries negative connotations, because men exploding is just considered standard.

Feminists already have to be incredibly careful not to knock the stick that is up society in general's ass even slightly. Any vibration can set the mainstay off. This is unfortunate, because you have a group in power who gets upset if you tell them that they are in power. Virtually any statement is taken as an attack, hostile and offensive.

oreso said:
Is it? There are bigger issues, surely. Putting these problems in some kind of perspective might be valuable.
There are bigger issues, but saying "you need to sort out your priorities if this bothers you" is something entirely different. People are bothered by a lot of things. This board itself is rife with people bitching about--what's that phrase--First World Problems. And even within the first world problem meme, it's rarely stated that you need to sort out your priorities. Being spoiled first worlders is the subject of a trite joke, but being spoiled first worlders who are female is more frequently treated as trivial.

Rarely are the majority told to get some perspective. It'd be nice if they were once in a while. then again, the majorities in question don't like not being taken seriously, even on trivial matters.

So how are the rest of us supposed to react?

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
No. Games are made the way they are because it sells more games, not because game makers are sexist. Simple fact is, people that don't care about jiggle physics and all that, will still buy a game that has them if they like the content of the game. On the other hand, there are people who will buy games that they don't care about just because they have fan-service in them. As always, no amount of crying about sexism will change it, because it's just good business. It's going to happen, until that is no longer the case.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
generals3 said:
As far as i know both women you showed have no personality or any defining characteristic but their looks at all.

Let me illustrate:

Do you know what the difference between both women is? The first one was an obvious fan service provided to us by EA and the second was how Westwood used to do it. But do you know how they DONT differ? Personality and role wise. They both did the same: brief you on your missions.
While true that "brief you on the missions" is all that Mitsuru does for the first few hours of the game, she does have a lot more personality, defining characteristics and plot significance as the time goes on.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Vegosiux said:
While true that "brief you on the missions" is all that Mitsuru does for the first few hours of the game, she does have a lot more personality, defining characteristics and plot significance as the time goes on.
I think you got my post wrong :p

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
generals3 said:
Vegosiux said:
Yes, from what I gathered you were drawing an analogy. Apparent, you weren't. So, 'scuse me for the misunderstanding.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Vegosiux said:
generals3 said:
Vegosiux said:
Yes, from what I gathered you were drawing an analogy. Apparent, you weren't. So, 'scuse me for the misunderstanding.
Actually what i wanted to illustrate was simply that looks doesn't say anything about the character.

I don't know either of those that errt posted and thus for me, as far as i know, they could both have the personality of a shoe. I illustrated that by giving an example from the C&C series where sexualization or non-sexualization aren't traits which somehow allows someone to draw conslusions about said character's depth or personality.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Yes there's a massive problem with oversexualisation in video games, it's creating a gender stereotype that people simply can't live up to and it's making them depressed!

I mean just look at those things - they're huge!

I am, of course, talking about men being portrayed, especially in Triple A games as beefy and powerful with abilities that no human could ever have. This leads to the young men who play it feeling inadequate as a result and sometimes attempting to over compensate by hitting the gym hard, being general douchebags because that's 'manly' and sometimes even going as far as steroid abuse in order to achieve that 'perfect' male figure.

I figure you already know the female side of the argument so I'll leave that to someone else.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Anita Sarkeesian is a moron.

Frankly I automatically dismiss the opinions of someone who doesn't allow voting or comments on their videos. Shows they aren't trying to have any kind of actual discussion on the topic, and just want to shout rhetoric at people.

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
Abomination said:
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
Zhukov said:
Every single fucking female character ever either being ridiculously sexualized and/or kidnapped? Yeah, yeah... that's a problem.
But... not every single female character is ridiculously sexualized and/or kidnapped...

So there's no problem! Hooray! We solved gender equality in games!
What about the rest of the world?
That's fine too, because not every single woman is ridiculously sexualized and/or kidnapped!
Gender equality in the rest of the world solved, then?
Exactly! Well done people, we can all go home.
http://www.hrw.org/reports/2012/02/15/steps-devil-0
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/women-and-equal-pay-wage-gap_n_3038806.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malala_Yousafzai

Well... If you say so... I guess I'll order a cake then.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
Zhukov said:
Every single fucking female character ever either being ridiculously sexualized and/or kidnapped? Yeah, yeah... that's a problem.
But... not every single female character is ridiculously sexualized and/or kidnapped...

That's fine too, because not every single woman is ridiculously sexualized and/or kidnapped!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/women-and-equal-pay-wage-gap_n_3038806.html

Clearly you don't see that 2/3 of those are just examples of our religious freedoms being encroached upon by cultural dissidents.

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
Abomination said:
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
Zhukov said:

Clearly you don't see that 2/3 of those are just examples of our religious freedoms being encroached upon by cultural dissidents.
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of me ordering the "Gender inequality solved" cake.
I'm ordering it from a bakery in Saudi Arabia... But the lady on the phone says she can't deliver it to me because it's illegal for her to drive.

That's odd...

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
Zhukov said:

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of me ordering the "Gender inequality solved" cake.
I'm ordering it from a bakery in Saudi Arabia... But the lady on the phone says she can't deliver it to me because it's illegal for her to drive.

That's odd...
She's simply enjoying her religious freedoms. Why can't you understand that?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
There is an issue with sexism in video games, yes. There's an issue with sexism in film and TV, too.

People do some impressive mental acrobatics to avoid admitting its there.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Lieju said:
ShinyCharizard said:
I still don't have a fucking clue what the issue is here. Why do people care so much about the artstyle in these games? How does it possibly affect anyone negatively at all?

Frankly anyone who seriously finds this kind of thing offensive needs to fucking reconsider their priorities in life.
So, when Yahtzee or anyone else criticises the modern shooters for being too grey and brown, do you say the same thing?

Art-style is a part of the game, why should it be immune of criticism?
Of course it should be open to criticism. I'm pointing out how absurd it is for someone to actually be offended by this. If someone finds these cartoon characters in a video game offensive then I will laugh at how fucking ridiculous that notion is.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Silvanus said:
There is an issue with sexism in video games, yes. There's an issue with sexism in film and TV, too.

People do some impressive mental acrobatics to avoid admitting its there.
My brain likes some good work out ;)

Though one should define "sexism" first. It's broad and used in so many ways that you could probably call anything sexist.

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
Abomination said:
You're right. Lack of choice in the matter is freedom. What was I thinking?
I'll go ahead and let Websters know that one of their definitions is wrong. Because after all... Gender inequality's fixed! We have the cake to prove it.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
I'll go ahead and let Websters know that one of their definitions is wrong. Because after all... Gender inequality's fixed! We have the cake to prove it.
When her husband delivers it, at least.

But that might take some time as he's getting married to his 4th bride - this one was betrothed to marry at 14 by her father in exchange for a more favorable salary.

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
Abomination said:
thebakedpotato said:
Abomination said:
When her husband delivers it, at least.

But that might take some time as he's getting married to his 4th bride - this one was betrothed to marry at 14 by her father in exchange for a more favorable salary.
Equality!
But you do see the folly of putting up "Mission Accomplished" banners just because it's better than it used to be I hope. I mean simply saying that this is as good as we can do is an insult to the progress those before us made. And the progress we owe those who come after.

One of the sacred duties of all human beings, in fact all living things for that matter, is to make life easier and better for those that come after. Through individual struggle or large actions.

And failing to do so just squanders all your potential.

Iunno... Just my thoughts on the whole thing I suppose.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Is there sexism in video games? Yes.
Do I care about it? No.
Why don't I care about it? Because I have no clue who I would be fighting for. It's not for real women, that's for fucking certain.

Getting offended/angry over a bunch of pixels/lines that exist within fictional/fantasy scenarios created by a developer/writer strikes me as hilarious.

Videogames, movies and basically all forms of media are created by someone and created for someone. Always. Even the most broadly-appealing/homogenized shit.

So first look at the creators, analyze who and what they are. Then analyze who they are making their product for. The answer to this supposed "issue" is right in front of people, if they're willing to open goddamn their eyes (and brains).

People like Anita Sarkeesian had a chance to make me care about sexism in gaming, convince me that it's a very serious and real issue. But so far she has only pulled an extremely brief mention of it's impact on real life in her Damsel In Distress Part 2 video - violence against women in games is subtly linked to violence against women in real life. I laughed, and then I sighed. My care-o-meter went from 0.5% to 0.01%.