Poll: Any multi-instrumentalists with us on the escapist? + Best instrument ever! poll

Dauntlessidiot

Crazed Obsessive Musician
Oct 26, 2008
I play several instruments, like the cello (foremostly), violin, viola, bass guitar and acoustic guitar, but i was wondering, as I have seen lots of musician's threads here,there are clearly a lot of talented people, but how may other people on the escapist play several musical instruments?

And no, the triangle does not count.

Asymptote Angel

Feb 6, 2008
I play bass fairly well, and guitar laughably badly. And I can keep time and hit things with sticks, so I guess I can play drums too. But then again, I can't get the hang of using the kickpedal at the same time as everything else and I don't have the energy to do it for longer than a minute or so, so I'd be a really awful drummer if you asked me to join your band. Hell, I can't even do it right in Rock Band.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
I play guitar, harmonica, banjo, and I'm presently trying to learn abit of piano (because it's really the easiest instrument to write songs with). Also my roommate has an upright bass which I mess around with from time to time, although I'd hardly call myself proficient. I'd like to be though!

I've also been told I'm a natural drummer although I've never really pursued it seriously.

Dauntlessidiot

Oct 26, 2008
I'm starting to think that maybe I should dopiano as well now, since everyone so far has said their doing something with piano,and I can barely play with one finger, let alone two hands

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
I usually muck around with my brother's keyboard as well as play bass guitar. With the keyboard I just try to mimick Nocturnus songs(albiet, very badly) while my brother can play Master of Puppets and Agalloch songs. With bass I've only just started but I know Peace Sells by Megadeth (the start of it).

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
I play basically anything that doesn't require air to be blown into it by a human mouth.

Jan 29, 2009
I take it you're a string player...
:D

Anyways, I go for Trombone, which, by definition, is NOT a whistle, those are the woodwinds, even then I only don't love the recorder from there.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
I used to play both the Trumpet and French Horn, granted they are very similer but they are a bit different, give me a week on each of them and enough time to remeber what each note means and ill be back to my former glory.

Dauntlessidiot

Oct 26, 2008
BonsaiK said:
I play basically anything that doesn't require air to be blown into it by a human mouth.
exactly my point, but I'm slightly more puritan than that.
I make a habit of only playing instruments with strings.

Jan 29, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:
I used to play both the Trumpet and French Horn, granted they are very similer but they are a bit different, give me a week on each of them and enough time to remeber what each note means and ill be back to my former glory.
Big diff in my opinion, especially the tone, the French Horn is just smoother and other words that are impressive sounding, while the trumpet has a sharper tone.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Dauntlessidiot said:
No percussion? For shame.

When I was in my high school symphonic band, we had a consultant of sorts who visited us for a day. As is commonly the fate of percussionists outside of drumline season, I had one song where I only played a couple of auxillary instruments a couple of times during one piece. It became very evident very fast that this man had no taste for percussionists whatsoever. He was trying to get me to "bring the sound out of" the triangle when I hit it and I think I did a very bang-up job of that menial task, thank you very much. My history included quite a bit of tympani playing and what he was describing was not foreign to me but damn if that SOB didn't let me have it. At one point, after he'd been picking on me for close to 10 minutes, he informed me that there were 3 kinds of people in my position: drummers, who are the scum of the earth, percussionists, who are only slightly better, and musicians. Then he asked me which of the 3 I'd like to be. I informed him that I WAS a percussionist. One of the better freshman, who was already in symphonic band, came up to me after class and said, "fuck him, I'm a drummer."

And you'd better believe I'm a multi-instrumentalist.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Dauntlessidiot said:
I play several instruments, like the cello (foremostly), violin, viola, bass guitar and acoustic guitar, but i was wondering, as I have seen lots of musician's threads here,there are clearly a lot of talented people, but how may other people on the escapist play several musical instruments?

And no, the triangle does not count.
You forgot the acoustic guitar. I can play guitar and bass (I can play it, I don't know any cords or anything at all about it, but I can play it.)

Dauntlessidiot

Oct 26, 2008
Singularly Datarific said:
I take it you're a string player...
:D

Anyways, I go for Trombone, which, by definition, is NOT a whistle, those are the woodwinds, even then I only don't love the recorder from there.

Exactly the opinions in the youth orchestra I play in. In the srings section its like a strange bunch of people with unnecarily flashy whistles have shown up and decided to play out of tune, and FAR TOOO LOUD, but I'm sure in the wind/brass section they think that we are just sawing constantly into some wood and not making any progress or something along thse lines. the winds/brass made a hash of jupiter at our last concert, the strings got every note right, but the winds/brass were dismal

Apr 24, 2008
I'm pretty decent at guitar, for rock and blues.
I am "entry level"(he says, in a charitable manner) on drums.
I can play piano...sorta.
I can play bass, competently.
I can play mandolin, or at least I could if the bastard thing stayed in tune!

Here is a recording of me being needly aggressive, and damn near collapsing my shoddily assembled drum kit. Enjoy...or not...your call.

After listening to Tim Minchin last night, I am tempted to say that piano is my favourite instrument. But electric guitar just kicks so much ass, Buddy Guy has forever sold me on the idea of electric guitar.

lissn

Dec 13, 2009
Piano, guitar, and drums (when I get the chance to play, as I don't own a set myself). There's your answer.

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
Electric guitar is TEH BEST EVAR! But i vote for bass guitar, because i feel like there need to be more bass in metal songs.

jjofearth

Feb 3, 2009
In good-at-ness order:
Piano
Voice
Guitar
Violin
Mandolin
Ukelele
Tin Whistle
Recorder

Thats all I can remember.