Poll: Anyone else getting tired of zombies?

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
How is it possible to be tired of zombies? You would have to put some actual care into thinking about zombies to begin with. Zombies don't really strike me as villains or even antagonists of any kind (i'm talking about those brainless Romero Zombies not things like Las Plagas from RE4) because they cannot form opinions or ideas.

Zombies are more like environmental hazards than actual enemies.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Personally I'm much more fed up with Vampires....or at least the absolute bastardization of vampires that modern-day writers have turned them into. I understand the link between vampires and romanticism...a tall, dark stranger appearing in the bedroom of a virgin, silently gliding across the floor to seduce said virgin. But here's what modern day writers of vampire stories have forgotten: they're fucking demons. They're unholy monsters of the most horrific nature who only use seduction as a manner to sedate their prey so there is no struggle when the vampire goes to feed. I've heard people say "Oh look at Dracula and Mina Harker. That's a dark romantic story about a vampire! The most famous of all vampires, in fact!" True, but what if Dracula had his way in that book, Mina would have become bound to him as another one of his unholy satanic prostitutes like the 3 women that Mina's fiance encounters in Dracula's castle...just an undead vammpiric concubine.

In short, I fucking hate Twilight. Twilight isn't about vampires, it's about human-sized pixies with super human strength. Getting all glittery and sparkly in the sunlight...I FIND THAT OFFENSIVE! Vampires are called "creatures of the night" for a reason.....THEY'RE FUCKING EVIL INCARNATE!

Say what you want about the Hellsing Ultimate anime series, at least the Dracula - though bound by a pact to serve Integra - depicted in that show acknowledges that he is a hellish monster and as such absolutely revels in vicious, bloody slaughter...THAT is what a vampire is supposed to be.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Vern5 said:
How is it possible to be tired of zombies? You would have to put some actual care into thinking about zombies to begin with. Zombies don't really strike me as villains or even antagonists of any kind (i'm talking about those brainless Romero Zombies not things like Las Plagas from RE4) because they cannot form opinions or ideas.

Zombies are more like environmental hazards than actual enemies.
In Romero-esque zombie flicks, The Horde is the antagonist, the source of conflict for the protagonists. But more specifically, they're meant to be a commentary on society in general...suggesting that when it comes right down to it, we're all just a buncha zombies wandering through the mall. :p

wurrble182

Jul 20, 2010
everything in moderation my friend. i just cant do the same thing over and over, so ive never over-watched zombie movies, over-played zombie games, there's always something else in between. im not even bored of blowing up nazis yet :D right now im playing dead island and it's one of the best games with zombies in it i've played and i cant wait to see what comes of "Dead World"

my advice? go do something that DOESNT involve zombies for like six months =P

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I love zombies, so my answer is no. :p I grew up on Resident Evil and Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I just wish they'd actually make a proper survival horror game with zombies! So I definitely have my high hopes for Resident Evil 6! I hope it delivers just what I've been craving for a while now! :)

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Am I tired of Zombies? No. I love them. Am I tired of bad zombie games/movies/whatever? Yes.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Zombies work well enough for enemies. Take Dead Rising. You can get mindless zombie slaughtering and just enjoy it. Or you can play the original Resident Evil games and they work for horror. Then there's Killing Floor which is about action and high tension which works too.

I don't think zombie games are getting old because the genre isn't homogeneous. One of my most played games is Plants vs. Zombies and I would say that's a sort of zombie game.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
I never liked zombies even when they were new. Now they're so overused I somehow find them even more boring than I originally did. I just don't get it... a thousand variations on dead guy who eats you and passes on zombieness. It's not scary, and it's usually not written in a remotely interesting way. Just a cheap way of giving the heroes stuff to run from/kill while creating an apocalypse in one go. Sure they can be fun, say, in Nazi Zombies, but in anything more serious than that zombies just kill it for me.

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
yeah, zombies are boring. id love l4d with aliens though. starship troopers? alien swarm is cool tho.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2rendXsIH8

That pretty much sums my reaction, i love zombies, i could never get tired of them. ^^

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Yes.. god yes. Enough with the bloody zombies already. They were overused years ago already and, at this point, actually turn me off of things. Anything that even sort of looks/acts like a zombie in a game will make me not want to know anything more about it, regardless of any other details.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I'm fine with zombies as long as the quality of the media they're in is good. A good zombie game is fine by me, as is a good zombie movie. They're no more overused then, say, aliens which are a fairly standard sci-fi enemy. Really, the type of the enemy boils down to what they do. Zombies shamble/sprint towards you with the sole purpose of eating you with some special versions mixing up the formula a bit. A game focused on zombies wouldn't work the same with human enemies which can plan ahead and use tools to take you out.

Dystopia

Jul 26, 2009
Chairman Miaow said:
I'm tired of variant zombies. I want the good ol' shuffle squad back. All we get now is ouroboros monsters, running zombies, things like in dead space. I miss the good old shambling horde made of 500 bajillion enemies.
This right here is exactly how zombies are supposed to be.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
They'd be much cooler if they weren't able to be gunned down so easily. The CoD, L4D, Dead Rising zombies, all of them. It's too damn easy. Amnesia and Silent Hill, they did zombies/undead well, cause you see them less, and you can barely defend yourself against them. They're SCARY because of it. But if you're able to mow them down like blades of grass on your lawn in the middle of summer, then it just sucks

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
I've never been a big fan of zombies. I've never really liked zombie games or movies.

The only zombie thing I own, actually, is Shaun of the Dead, and that's mainly because it's a satire on the zombie genre...with a good conclusion and some really sad moments.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
You know, i find zombies to be the "Every card".

There are very few times when zombies are "bad". They are about as basic as a villain can be. No dialogue, no moral alignment, no real end goal. your only options are to kill them, or escape them.

Zombies make things easy. Half the time, you dont even have to explain where they came from. All you need to know is, "Teeth Bad", and "Destroy Brain". Anything past that is getting in the way of your survival.

And while ive never cared for the fast "Runner" type zombies, they fit the medium well in certain situations. L4D had some of my favorite zombies, just because of the way they acted. Aimless creatures with no clear goal.... Until they see you. Then they become single minded killing machines, bent on destroying you, and everything youve ever cared for.

Zombies are great, because of the way they dictate the story. And alot of stories are best when kept simple.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
CulixCupric said:
anyone else tired of zombies, or at least got any thoughts on monsters in horror games?
Hell no ! :)
For me, the Department of Undead is alive and thriving... erm... ahem...
However, i think that zombies and vampires are antagonists of to many works of fiction.
I don't remember the last time i saw a movie featuring Skeletons or Liches. :|

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I'm not tired of zombies, I can't get enough of them.

Having said that, I prefer it when they're done right. (As people have mentioned, action/survival horror isn't a great mix all the time).

I prefer the slow zombies to the fast ones too, and the special ones scare me D:

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
since i was never really into zombies to begin with, yes, tired of them as the main focus of a game.

they're cannon fodder, a low level enemy to be kicked a side as you move on to something bigger, and an actual threat.