Poll: Are gamers today too self entitiled?

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I've seen a lot of people think that because they buy a product, the manufacturer of that product owes them like they were done some sort of favor.

Those people are stupid.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Yes, we should totally know our place as the faceless, thoughtless cash grabs we were born to be. How dare we speak to our overlords in such disrespectful manners!

But in all seriousness it's silly to think that we don't have a right to complain if we are given inferior products or are affected by shady business practices. Tell me, are people entitled when they say Hollywood is crappy and they want something better then Jack&Jill? Are people entitled when they say they want better gas prices? Are people entitled when they complain about their politicians running things poorly? If entitled means 'just want to be treated fairly and get your money's worth' as the internet now wants you to believe, then congrats, every human being on the planet is entitled.

Darkcerb

Mar 22, 2012
Oh this thread again, me? I complain when I feel I'm handed crap when I paid and was told to expect more. I also make threads about things I feel a game could benefit from like cross server lfg tools in mmos' which got me much the same reaction as wanting a decent ending for me3.

If that's entitled, fine by me. I've been called all sorts of things for voicing my thoughts, hasn't stopped me so far.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Squidbulb said:
Kinguendo said:
What are you talking about? I am a Gamer and I have never had a game named after me, but now that you have mentioned it... I SHOULD have a game named after me!
That's not what entitled means.
1. To give a name or title to.
2. To furnish with a right or claim to something.

See, I played on the dual definition... WORDPLAY!

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
I don't get why everyone thinks this is just in response to the ME3 bullshit. Want to see entitlement in action? Look at any old MW2 or Black Ops PC thread you can find.

I promise you you'll find numerous complaints from people about not having dedicated servers or modding tools. They were never promised them, nor were they told to expect them. But they felt entitled to them.

I hate hate HATE how this sounds like flamebait, but from every observation I've ever made, this "self-entitlement" thing only occurs to PC gamers. I can't remember the last time I met one of my console-owning friends and discussed how sad it was that we didn't have dedicated servers or mods.

It of course can't be for any other reason than the publisher hating you and wanting to extract money from you. Not handing you a sandbox to fuck around with their work is the ultimate disservice, apparently. And because of this "we deserve mods" mentality, they also feel entitled to any form of DLC, claiming that "they could have made it themselves if you had given them the chance".

I'll say this again; I don't wish to offend any PC gamers and what I've noticed may not apply to you indivudually, so don't take it personally. But for people who enjoy video games and are getting tired of the drama and politics, I genuinely feel that console gaming makes for a far more pleasant experience.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
Human society itself has become too self entitled. I feel to lazy to post some proof. Go watch global news or something, or refresh your memory from the financial collapse a few years back.

Darkcerb

Mar 22, 2012
LiquidSolstice said:
I don't get why everyone thinks this is just in response to the ME3 bullshit. Want to see entitlement in action? Look at any old MW2 or Black Ops PC thread you can find.

I promise you you'll find numerous complaints from people about not having dedicated servers or modding tools. They were never promised them, nor were they told to expect them. But they felt entitled to them.

I hate hate HATE how this sounds like flamebait, but from every observation I've ever made, this "self-entitlement" thing only occurs to PC gamers. I can't remember the last time I met one of my console-owning friends and discussed how sad it was that we didn't have dedicated servers or mods.

It of course can't be for any other reason than the publisher hating you and wanting to extract money from you. Not handing you a sandbox to fuck around with their work is the ultimate disservice, apparently. And because of this "we deserve mods" mentality, they also feel entitled to any form of DLC, claiming that "they could have made it themselves if you had given them the chance".

I'll say this again; I don't wish to offend any PC gamers and what I've noticed may not apply to you indivudually, so don't take it personally. But for people who enjoy video games and are getting tired of the drama and politics, I genuinely feel that console gaming makes for a far more pleasant experience.
I don't see how any of that applies to anything but the bethesda series, and even then only tangentially.

I've seen people complain they didn't get there moneys worth from dlc but never that they need to pay for it see horse armor...in fact everything but shivering isles.

And even if console gamers didn't complain incessently that pc gamers get anything more then they do the community especially the xbox live community is the worst of any gaming collective I've ever encountered in 20 years of gaming.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Games are a business, and gamers are consumers.

Part of business is feedback and criticism. Sure, sometimes the criticism gets out of hand, but when you have a majority of consumers all agree about a percieved failing of a product, then there is something wrong with the product.

We are consumers. IT IS NOT OUR JOB TO PROTECT THE PUBLISHERS OR DEVELOPERS. They have people for that. It's our job to give feedback and criticism so that publishers and developers can make well-made products that we WANT to buy.

Edit: Oh, in case you were wondering, I'm saying NO, gamers are not self-entitled.

e2density

Dec 25, 2009
More or less.
I think game companies today are getting sloppy, but I think that customers continue to support them by pumping money into 'em anyway. It's never JUST one sides fault.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
Darkcerb said:
I don't see how any of that applies to anything but the bethesda series, and even then only tangentially.
I have you specific examples of MW2 and Black Ops and you don't think it applies?

I've seen people complain they didn't get there moneys worth from dlc but never that they need to pay for it see horse armor...in fact everything but shivering isles.
Wait....what?

And even if console gamers didn't complain incessently that pc gamers get anything more then they do the community especially the xbox live community is the worst of any gaming collective I've ever encountered in 20 years of gaming.
Oh? You've met every single one of us in the XBL community? Damn, I wish I had all the time that you did. Using that same logic (since we're generalizing), I'll just go ahead and say that the PC gaming community is the worst and most arrogant gaming collective I've ever encountered in all MY time of gaming. That's fair, isn't it?

Knock knock, you play with people on the internet. It's the fricking internet. No shit there will be assholes on the internet, ergo, of course there will be assholes on whatever gaming medium you choose. You know what genuine issue I take with the majority of PC gamers? The essence of the game itself appears to be lost in complaints. I genuinely feel that as a console gamer, I'm able to appreciate the work put into the games I play because I know how far gaming has progressed, and rather than be a political activist about it, I sit down, shut up, and I enjoy it.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
No.

To anyone who thinks gamers are acting "entitled", you need to look up the definition. Gamers would be acting entitled if they demanded things far beyond what is expected.

The 2 points that are fresh in everyone's mind are logical. BioWare/EA churned out a less-than-stellar ending that damaged the series, confirmed a flat-out lie from the developers themselves, and was on the whole a negative.

The Dark Souls/GFWL thing is also legitimate, because GFWL is an obsolete, obtuse system that is counter-productive. It's less of a "waah, I want Steam instead!" and more of a "People will actively avoid buying a game they want because of GFWL, don't make that mistake".

Darkcerb

Mar 22, 2012
LiquidSolstice said:
Darkcerb said:
I have you specific examples of MW2 and Black Ops and you don't think it applies?

Wait....what?

Oh? You've met every single one of us in the XBL community? Damn, I wish I had all the time that you did. Using that same logic (since we're generalizing), I'll just go ahead and say that the PC gaming community is the worst and most arrogant gaming collective I've ever encountered in all MY time of gaming. That's fair, isn't it?

Knock knock, you play with people on the internet. It's the fricking internet. No shit there will be assholes on the internet, ergo, of course there will be assholes on whatever gaming medium you choose. You know what genuine issue I take with the majority of PC gamers? The essence of the game itself appears to be lost in complaints. I genuinely feel that as a console gamer, I'm able to appreciate the work put into the games I play because I know how far gaming has progressed, and rather than be a political activist about it, I sit down, shut up, and I enjoy it.
Calm down junior, how about you re-read your post that implies the whole of pc gaming community is how you say it is.

And no it's not a few bad apples as you'd find in any online endeavor on xbox live it's the majority, I don't have to meet every single one of them to know that in every game of halo2-3 gears(all) there are arsehats.

If you want to sit and eat crap go for it, me I complain when I feel I haven't got my moneys worth and I say how I feel any given game could be improved from my point of view. Nothing ever improved without criticism and the developers don't need protecting they're big boys now and they can handle it.

I guess it wasn't clear enough People complain when they feel ripped off.

People didn't complain that they had to pay money for content. At least in bethesda games cases.

And no it doesn't relate when you imply a series that's never had modding tools suddenly...doesn't, did you even read your post what exactly was your point? that it should? I agree but then I feel like most company's could do alot worse then copying valve.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
Darkcerb said:
Calm down junior, how about you re-read your post that implies the whole of pc gaming community is how you say it is.
Oh no, you don't get to use that against me because you've done the exact same thing to the console community. Why have different rules?

And no it's not a few bad apples as you'd find in any online endeavor on xbox live it's the majority, I don't have to meet every single one of them to know that in every game of halo2-3 gears(all) there are arsehats.
And I don't have to know that in every game of TF2 I'll meet complete dickheads, ergo it's alright for me to decide all PC gamers are dickheads. I don't need to know every single one of them either, right? Do you have a point?

If you want to sit and eat crap go for it, me I complain when I feel I haven't got my moneys worth
That fucking sucks for you. You purchased it. You experienced it. Deal with it. You don't go bitching to the director after a movie you paid to see wasn't want you wanted, right?

and I say how I feel any given game could be improved from my point of view. Nothing ever improved without criticism and the developers don't need protecting they're big boys now and they can handle it.
When I say it's a content director's right to create their content how they wish, I am not protecting them.

People didn't complain that they had to pay money for content. At least in bethesda games cases.
Yes, because no one ever bitches about DLC. Do you live under a rock?

And no it doesn't relate when you imply a series that's never had modding tools suddenly...doesn't
Oh yes it does. PC games are known for having mod tools. So when a game comes out and doesn't offer them, people are pissed off and feel entitled to said mod tools. That is called entitlement.

did you even read your post what exactly was your point? that it should?
My post was concerning how this "entitlement" thing has been around a lot longer than all the people bitching about ME3.

I agree but then I feel like most company's could do alot worse then copying valve.
Seeing as Valve is the master at copying their own games, changing a few textures, and reselling them, I guess you're right.

Darkcerb

Mar 22, 2012
I can't think of a gaming community who has a worse reputation for being awful then xbox live.

And no it doesn't relate, even if PC gaming is known for it's mod tools (I can count with my hands how many games have mod tools and have a few fingers to spare) the games you listed aren't and never have.

We're not talking about movies, we're talking about games interactive storys far more expensive but sure I do complain or did I haven't gone to see a movie for years because by and large they were awful something I do for several game company's and might do for bioware.

And again we have every right to critic and will continue to if you don't like it go elsewhere, back to your flowery wonderful xbox live community.

You getting all worked up wont change that and certainly wont effect my desire to complain when I feel a game could be improved or when I feel ripped off.

You keep your head in the sand method of dealing with all your purchases though, I'm sure that'll work out for you and whatever industry is involved.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Blade_125 said:
I agree that ME3 is not a case of too much self-entitlement.

I haven't even played through the first Mass Effect, but I've seen videos that clearly show the endings not living up to what Bioware promised. Either they lied, or are so incompetent they don't know what an "ABC ending" actually looks like. Either that, or EA did a lot of Executive Meddling.

Though I still question some of the methods of those wanting a new ending, or the "real" ending.
Was sending 400 symbolic cupcakes to Bioware really necessary?
Plus demanding donate money back from Child's Play was just plain petty.

I will still warn against the possible "can-of-worms" this could open up. Truly self-entitled people thinking they can completely dictate how a developer makes a game by using the "Retake Mass Effect" movement as a justification to force their bad ideas into a game.
I've seen it before. People will use the fact that a developer did this thing in order to justify the demand they do this other non-related thing.

Mar 9, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
For the most part, no. The concerns are legitimate. People see gamers acting like consumers of any other product, and ddcide that they're all self-entitled little twerps.
Except when you read a book and decide the ending didn't match what you expect you don't demand a better one replace it. You also don't petition the publishers not to sell it at Barnes and Noble for whatever bullshit reason you have. Gamers are one of the worst consumers for their own false entitlement. As if the consumer has ever had any sway in deciding what distribution will be used other than which is used most or what would.

If you have to have every little thing pertaining to your hobby suit your personal desires then you're a fucking moron.

Thomas Knapp

Apr 2, 2012
The problem is that the answer is both "yes" and "no", because gamers are a very broad group of people.

Just as there are perfectly rational gamers who supply their criticisms, ask something be done, and if the request isn't met in a satisfactory matter, wash their hands of the whole thing and walk away... there are also the self-entitled twats who think they have the right to demand game companies bend over to serve their every whim and that anyone who doesn't agree with them is a sell-out and deserves to be scorned and ridiculed.

Welcome to human civilization. It can get pretty messy down here. Bring a raincoat.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
No, but the escapist forum users are far too quick to complain about people complaining about things.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
ResonanceSD said:
For the most part, no. The concerns are legitimate. People see gamers acting like consumers of any other product, and ddcide that they're all self-entitled little twerps.
Except when you read a book and decide the ending didn't match what you expect you don't demand a better one replace it. You also don't petition the publishers not to sell it at Barnes and Noble for whatever bullshit reason you have. Gamers are one of the worst consumers for their own false entitlement. As if the consumer has ever had any sway in deciding what distribution will be used other than which is used most or what would.

If you have to have every little thing pertaining to your hobby suit your personal desires then you're a fucking moron.
Go read up on Sherlock Holmes.