Poll: Are gamers today too self entitiled?

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
DustlessDragoon said:
I have noticed just recently that a large number of gamers seem to complain alot about many things they feel they are entitled to. For example a better ending for Mass Effect 3 and just recently the removal/alternative to Games for Windows Live for the PC release of Dark Souls. I know that the ending for ME was pretty bad and there are many threads out there discussing that, but this is not about that.

Whenever anything that people don't like is announced or found there always seems to be a massive uproar about it with petitions and many angry posts flying over the internet. This is by no way a new thing but just recently its exploded in popularity.

TLDR- Are we as gamers too self entitled today or are we right in demanding things be changed just because we don't like it?

I think its alright to complain about some things such as witheld game content but I don't think its right to demand that a developer change their games story just because people don't like it.
So...people spend all this time on petitions..finally get noticed and they only get half of what they wanted because the game is being released on a terrible un-user friendly platform.

An analogy for your view would be like saying that if I begged Gordon Ramsey to make me a meal and petitioning for it and saying Id pay any amount. Then when he finally does he spits in it, and according you I have no right to complain because I still got what I wanted.

And what about the people who didn't petition..like say me...am I being entitled because well..this game that sounds cool is going to be released on a stupid platform and not you know..the most successful platform out right now?

Also based on that last bit you clearly dont understand the Mass Effect 3 issue. Id suggest you do some reading, the problem was that the ending provided no closure and the developers had stated the ending would SPECIFICALLY not be like it was. People dont really like it when developers lie about their products.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Dr Jones said:
I sorta get the Dark Souls petition, but yeah, that is definitely a case of entitlement. From Software don't owe them ANYTHING. they are doing the gamers a favor by bringing it to PC, with or without GFWL.
Favor? it business decision, a product they are selling. No they don't "owe" us anything, I don?t think many (I say many because there is always a couple) are trying to suggest that they actually ?owe? us anything before we buy the game but people aren?t obligated to buy their product either and we are entitled to voice our opinion.
The original petition was to show they had a market on the PC which they do but GFWL seriously devalues their product and many people won't buy it specifically because of GFWL.
Which do you think is better? That people just don?t say anything and don't buy it (so they lose money) because of this or that they are made aware of the problem before the game is released where they might have opportunity to do something about it if they can and wish too.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
The confusion between self-entitled and entitled/entitlement in this thread from both sides grates.

Cease and desist! :p

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Most gaming is done casually, and the casual gamers usually do not feel entitiled, they shell out money for sequels every year. And I am not picking on CoD/AC people specifically, there are people who buy their favorite sport's new game every year and I doubt they feel entitled to much. More hardcore gamers, i.e. people who play lots of games, not just mainstream games, are slightly more entitled because they follow games developement stages and when the information they are given about a game doesn't match up to the actual game, they are entitled to some answers.

As for the people petitioning for certain features, I sympathize with them but I don't support them. I hate Origin, I expressed that to my friends but I never signed anything demanding that BF3 be available on Steam. Same went for Mass Effect 3 on Origin. I also have several Steam games that use GFWL, I do not like that either, but I weigh my decisions about my enjoying the game against the fact that I am forced to use a UI I don't prefer. I bought BF3 because I thought its quality would out weigh Origin's bad setup. Thats a risk I took and I didn't feel entitled to have it available on Steam.

I think gamers are entitled to quality assurance, if GFWL didn't work and I bought a game that required it, I would feel entitled to a fix. If my favorite game was only available on Origin, I would suck it up and buy it or let it go unplayed.

When a promise or statement is made that is not fulfilled, then people can feel entitled to restitution, such as the thing with ME3, Bioware made statements that they did not fulfill and I feel that Bioware should be held accountable.

And yes, entitled is a word being spammed so much that it is going to become 2012's buzzword. Last year's was "Occupy," and we all know how properly used and applied that word was. Gamers are consumers; compare a gamer's level of entitlement to that of someone who orders food at a restaurant, I don't think there is much difference between the two.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
No, even with Mass Effect, because if they expect you to pay $60 everytime they release a game, they can't hand you a turd and call you entitiled when you complain. Mass Effect 3 fans had a valid argument but took it too far.

Imagine if the Harry Potter books ended with Harry leading up to an epic battle only to be ran over by a bus before it happens, even though there are no buses there, and the book ending. That would warrant a complaint, even a petition. Maybe Mass Effect fans took it too far, their argument would still be valid.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
AnarchistAbe said:
ResonanceSD said:
For the most part, no. The concerns are legitimate. People see gamers acting like consumers of any other product, and ddcide that they're all self-entitled little twerps.
Name me one other product where the consumers are as vocal and obnoxious as gaming.
Sports? Like by a thousand.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
What are you talking about? I am a Gamer and I have never had a game named after me, but now that you have mentioned it... I SHOULD have a game named after me!

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
DustlessDragoon said:
TLDR- Are we as gamers too self entitled today or are we right in demanding things be changed just because we don't like it?
Basically this:
Savagezion said:
People need to understand one conscept. Consumers rule the market, thus consumers are entitled. It's their opinions that shape the market. Entitled isn't an evil thing. It is simply part of being a person with money to spend. You are entitled to demand things for you money, as that is the entire point of "worth".

Civ4 quote:
"Everything is worth what it's purchaser will pay for it."

Welcome to capitalism, where consumers are entitled, and that isn't a bad thing. It is the fundamental principle the entire market is based on. So, I voted yes but I stress that isn't a bad thing. Its PR stuff for companies wanting to avoid responsibility.
Off topic: And, with this in mind, gamers have no-one to blame but themselves for the sad state of gaming(plethora of dumbed down action games, DRM, DLC, ....).

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Yes, Being a massive player of Star Trek Online my fellow trekkies are very entitled.

All this fuss about the in-game lottery is crazy, if you don't want it then.... Don't buy it?

Squidbulb

Jul 22, 2011
Kinguendo said:
What are you talking about? I am a Gamer and I have never had a game named after me, but now that you have mentioned it... I SHOULD have a game named after me!
That's not what entitled means.

esperandote said:
Not as much as developers
So you're saying that developers shouldn't be able to do what they want with their games? If I write a book, I can write it any way I want and can make the ending as terrible as I want. No matter how much you complain, I'll only change it if I think it will improve the book in any way.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
I don't think gamers are too entitled.

I think everyone is too entitled. Particularly Gen Y and younger, but Gen-Xers like myself are also guilty of it (albeit to a lesser degree).

The only reason the "gamers are entitled" thing comes up is because this is a gamer site. Are the people here entitled? Hell yeah. But they're entitled everywhere else too.

I've never argued that gamers are entitled for that very reason - it would be like arguing that they breathe oxygen or have to pay taxes.

Sidiron

Feb 11, 2008
No, GAMERS today aren't too self entitled.

Most people nowadays are too self entitled. It is the L'Oreal Generation ("Because [I'm] worth it" a phrase I have commandeered from a friend at work) and has been since the birth of the 'yuppie' in the 80's. The problem is just constantly exacerbated by the self-entitlement that is abounding in culture and the zeitgeist.

Up the 99% and all that. :p

HappyPillz

Apr 15, 2009
Honestly I'd say it's the game developers that are acting entitled to their fans. When game developers start taking their fans for granted and take on a "We can do whetever we want with our games, just give us your money dammit" attitude, that's when the fans are going to to start acting up. Gamers are the source of game developers income, we pay them so that they may continue to be in business making more games. If they choose to completely disregard the people that buy their games, then they are going to lose fans/money. So when the developers say things like "Suck it up whiny idiots, what do you know?" that's when I stop purchasing their products.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Anyone who starts an "Entitlement" thread needs to take a shot every time the word "Entitlement" comes up on these forums.

Should kill em off quick.
And anyone that answers it as if justifying that their actions are not entitled at all, shall have this image as an answer...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Are Gamers entitled? Yes.

Now, is that a bad thing? No. Im not going in depth, as its already been said previously in this thread, but entitlement is not a bad thing. As paying cutomers, we do have the right to complain about a product. Now, is the complaining going a bit overboard as of late, probably. But that doesnt mean the correct alternative is to shut up and take what we are given and force ourselves to enjoy it.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
esperandote said:
Not as much as developers
If anyone has any right to feel entitled to it, its them... BECAUSE THEY MAKE IT !!!

Let me put this as clear as I can: before Bioware decided to do it, Mass Effect was literally NOTHING. No Shepard, no Sovereign, No Saren... nothing. And since they put countless hours into creating the characters, world, story, music, concept art, etc; while all consumers put was the equivalent of a few Whopper combos, guess who has more right to feel entitled to it.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Costumers have the right to demand change. And if they don't give the costumer what they want, the costumer won't buy it.

The problem starts when the costumer starts being aggressive. As I said, he has the right to ask for a change, he doesn't have a guarantied change. The problem with gamer lately is that they don't understand that.

It's OK for them to ask for the changed ending of ME, but it's not OK for them to think that the ending MUST be changed because they say so.

Also, an alternative for Games for Windows should come asap. It's the king of all crap.