Poll: Are Skyrim enemies overpowered?

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Anyone met Drelas yet? Fuck that guy. Otherwise I havn't had too much trouble.

Now I'm going to go skull fuck Drelas as a level 30 redgaurd trained since the beggining of the game to be magic resistant.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
If it does physical damage and physical damage only I kill the thing no problem (Dragons are cake as well). Casters though.. they mess me up, especially since I'm a slow moving nord without any good ranged capabilities. Actually switched to the Atronach guardian stone just so I could get some magic resistance, those guys still kill me pretty regularly.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
I think the game is punishing you because you obviously didn't cheap-shot the bandit leader with a dragon shout.

Caverat

Jun 11, 2010
I smith and enchant my own stuff. I have a sweet Glass axe that absorbs life, coupled with my legendary steel plate armour I seldom encounter much difficulty as I am regaining life as I wail the shit out of whatever.

The biggest issue I had was one of the bosses on that Gaulder Amulet quest, the one that replicates himself and can shout you over into ragdoll, sometimes disarming you. I would have a panicked tear around looking through the water for my axe while getting pelted with arrows. Really sucked. Ended up just using pedestals as cover and fireball spell. Took a lot longer than I was used to, I died several times fighting him.

Well, I guess anything that has high-damage ranged attacks has generally given me pause, as I will sometimes die trying to get close in, and while dabbling heavily in destruction magic, it's not anywhere near my one-handed and heavy armour skills. Keeps it exciting, being ripe with overconfidence in regards to close combat, than suddenly having a third of my health bar burned away in a single explosion by some special named, mask wearing liche asshole. Yeah, someday soon all of those mother-fuckers' faces will be lining a shelf in my house.

I love this game.

Lyiat

Dec 10, 2008
You are the Dragonborn, the Legendary Dragonslayer. Not Banditslayer. Perhaps your epic pwn abilities only extend to dragons.

Robertus2210

Apr 8, 2010
in my eyes the game is suprisingly easy once you have some smitting and enchanting done.
nothing can really hurt you through dragon armour or stand against a deadric weapon. espacially when their enchanted with something nasty.
even ancient dragons tumble over after a handfull of hits now. though i have been playing on normal perhaps i should crank up the difficulty a bit.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
The only overpowered thing is those guys with the two handed weapons that are like "What's that? You don't heal at HALF HEALTH? WELL THEN FUCK YOU WITH A RUSTY SPORK" and smash my face in with a warhammer, insta-kiling me.
I've noticed this too.

I'm happily having a fight with a two handed guy and I think to myself "Half health? Let me just hit this guy one or two more times, and than I'll just heal up-" Death animation

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
I feel the two handed weapon users are overpowered only in the beginning when wearing light armor. Once you get some skill and perks in light armor, then the game becomes much easier. Especially when you also invest in smithing. I believe now I can stand and take punishment from most physical attacks while I go outside and grab something to eat. Magic on the otherhand I still have to dodge ^^'.

DanyoSouth

Nov 18, 2009
I play a Heavy Armor Sword and shield Imperial and I haven't had much difficulty, except with sabre cats, for some reason Dragons, Mages, and Bandits are fine, but Giant Feline, maul me to death. Anyways my suggestion would be to make a character that wear heavy armor, levels up health every time, and then get the Lord Stone east of Morthal. Beware that the path to the Lord stone is guarded by frost trolls using the warrior stone and power leveling through a few caves is recommended or just use sprint shout to run past them.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Yep, I'm going to add my voice to the number of people who have waltzed though the game with firebolt, stun-locking EVERYTHING. Cave Bears, Frost Trololols, Giants, Dragons, Dragon Priests, even the feared Bandit Leaders... All are helpless before the fury of apprentice-level destruction spells.

I.N.producer

May 26, 2011
I've rarely thought any enemies were really overpowered. The only time I ever had to lower the difficulty level was for the final part of Azura's quest. I was just constantly being incinerated by three dremora, even with potions for 50% resistance and wards.

I do think all the finishing moves unbalance the game. Having a dragon do an unavoidable insta-kill chomp on you whenever it gets nearly dead gets old quick. The same with random bandits with claymores killing you at full health while you have Legendary Daedric armor and all the heavy armor perks up to level 70.

the saint83

Jun 24, 2010
Well... I'm playing as a sort of jack of all trades, I wield everything from bows, and daggers to two handed swords to spells to swords and shields. The biggest challenge I've encountered was a bandit chief in a dungeon wielding an elven knife. She killed me like 18 times and when I finally got her, I ran into the next room and got cut down by an orc wielding a two handed sword. And kids, that's when I learned the importance of saving.

Other than that spell casters are my primary concern, and where I feel a bit under powered

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Fenra said:
Not so much overpowered but certainly inconsistent and confusing, I mean how can going toe to toe with a bandit in fur armor with an axe be harder than going toe to toe with a dragon

I know its an rpg and a lot of it is based around numbers and invisible calculations going on in the background but it breaks the illusion somewhat for me
Thank you. That seems to describe what I was thinking better than I could. I like the difficulty levels. I would just like a little bit more of a predictor as to how they sort of ramp up. Dragons should be the hard fights that require a strategy. Dungeon boss fights should be a real challenge. Random Bandit Leader or some stray Troll on the road should not be the hardest uberest and most frustrating things in game. It's that whole risk vs reward and escalating ramp of difficulty in game design. The player needs to sort of see the escalation in order to be drawn into it. This is why auto scaling trash mobs never works quite right. It breaks the visable curve and tosses out the players immersion.

aksel

Nov 18, 2009
I was having a real problem (on master difficulty) with some bandits hiding out in an old fort (the one with the moon forge).

I am a vampire, the sun was up, there were two fire mages, and I couldn't get them all in one sneak attack.

After trying for about five times, a few mudcrabs crawled out of a small pond, and murdered them all.

I felt weak.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Wait till you meet an Electromancer....
...mmmmmmmMMMMMNNNNNNNNYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGH.
I just don't see how they're so powerful compared to Frost/Fire mages. >.<
And that's from a Breton with an Atronach stone and the extra 50% resistance activated.
Gods I hate mages. And I am one!
..I hate me. :c

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
They most certainly are not. The most difficult enemy i've faced was at the end of the wizard's college storyline, and he didn't stand up to some arrows from a bow of draining and a sword to the chops.

MrRetroSpectacles

Mar 6, 2011
Bandit leaders are particularly annoying. They come at me with some two handed weapon and if you don't unload a dragon shout, duel magic and quickly equip your own two handed just as he's about to swing he'll have you in a death cutscene in ridiculously quick time.

So far my two most overpowered enemies have been: A dragon guarding a word wall near the shrine of Azura. No cover plus under level 20 at the time, I was dead before an arrow had been fired.

Second, a target enemy in a quest to recover three Mehrunes Dagon artifact pieces. He was in a cave with Orc hunters/bandits, had steel plate armor, a warhammer with 50 shock damage and 60 extra magicka. The guy took my health down to critical in one hit. I had to run outside, turn werewolf and charge back in, where a rather graphic cutscene death of me pinning him down and ripping into his face occured.