Poll: Are Skyrim enemies overpowered?

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
Only mages and dual wielding enemies. But I created my own plan against them.
I'm a sneaky ranger/Sword & Shield type.

Only real annoying moment for me is when a dual wielding enemy can kill me with a 4 hit frenzy.

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
I found most of the enemies quite balanced, in which I mean that there are enemies that are weak and there are enemies that are strong...

Or do anyone want that the 15 underling are as weak/strong as the boss or lieutenant. Also about the equipment complains (for the bandit-boss i.e.), equipment isn't everything, I could equip a longbow and a few leather armor parts and still one-shot a lot of bandits and defeat a dragon. And don't tell me, because I'm the hero.. the only thing that put me apart is are the shouts, which I don't necessarily need to defeat anyone.

As for my "overpowered" enemy, those friggin soul gem powered magic traps... somehow they are strong enough to one-shot me every time, regardless what gem they use and what resistance I have. Also a few of the stronger two-handed melee enemies used to give me a hard time, but that's a thing of the past, right now they count as lucky if they manage to find me before I perforate their faces with a dozen arrows.

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
The only ones I have problems with are those damn Electric Mages....they shoot you once and you go catapulting across the world dead.

Lucifus

Dec 3, 2008
What really annoys me is I can trololol hack all enemy's in my way through a dungeon, only to have my arse handed back to me by the final big guy in one hit.

PuffinBox

Aug 29, 2011
I think the difficulty is pretty balanced. Trolls, Cats, and Bears used to fuck me over but now they are only a minor annoyance. The only thing I feel was over powered was the
Final Boss in the Eye of Magnus Quest, he killed me in two hits and I barely did any damage

Also does anyone else hate using potions I feel like I'm not playing the game right

Sk1ver

Mar 19, 2011
Aptspire said:
I guess the trolls are, but when I met the "golden claw" boss(I was level 3 or so), I got killed...three times
I then switched my shield for healing spell and kept a 'hit and run' strategy, and he eventually died. In conclusion, I believe that this game is beatable, as long as you're willing to adapt a little
I am starting to have a lot of fun with that heal-1-handed weapon combo as well. It's not something I've used in other games but it's working for me at the moment. I'm only around lvl 10 atm so we'll see how that goes.

For me the sabre cats have been a real pain. They always seem to jump me when I've just finished another fight, or when I have just left a hard dungeon and am low on potions.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
The relative power does get really weird sometimes.

It's strange when I'm fighting the toughest dragons in the game and they're relatively easy, but one or two bandits (who are adjusted by level) can absolutely destroy me if I'm not careful and don't have room to manoeuvre. And, playing as a pure mage, the difference in the different enemy mages can get ridiculous: they all have instantaneous shield reflexes, so combat with them invariably involves dodging everything the throw at you for thirty seconds until the shield comes down, and the electricity mages can drain your mana stupidly fast while shielding, leaving you completely useless AND hurt. Sure you can use your own shield to protect yourself, but that just drains your mana too.

I'm sure the difficulty fetishists disagree, but they'll probably never be satisfied anyway.

Sk1ver

Mar 19, 2011
I also think the game encouraging you to have different tactics is good. Otherwise its going to suck when all your favorite skills are at 100, and you need to bust out the two-handed sword on 16 skill to try and level.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
I figured it was because bandits are going to have an easier time hitting you in the head (where I'm assuming you take more damage when hit) with their smaller weapons then a huge dragon will when it swings a massive claw against your plate armored and shield-bearing body.

KageOokami

Nov 16, 2011
only "overpowered" thing i have found would be... some dragon fights (the harder dragons blood and ancient) depending on the area in which i am fighting. That and the dragon priests that have masks to collect, they are a tad annoying.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
In all honesty a Dragon should be the hardest thing to kill, you know seeing that they are DRAGONS.
Except, you're the Dovahkiin, the chosen god-selected best dragonslayer around.

This has nothing to do with bear or troll slaying, which you are not divinely inspired or enchanted to do.

Asmundr

Mar 17, 2010
When I first ran into a troll I remembered my oblivion and morrowind training: Fire = win and I was a mage...I then got my shit wrecked cause the starting spells did nothing.

Some of the enemies can be a bit over powered but that usually means your not skilled enough yet. I ran into enemies that were hard to kill early on but if you take the time a train you'll overcome pretty much anything.

Like I stated earlier about my mage, I did have a hard time with some enemies. But as soon I as I got my hands on runes and spells like Fire Ball and Ice Storm things got very easy. That and the Staff of Magnus, Arch-Mage Robes, and the Dragon Priest Mask "Morokei" are a Disc One Nuke [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DiscOneNuke]. Honestly...together their pretty godly at low-medium levels.

Oddly though my Bardic Thief (different file) hasn't had that hard of a time so far. Mainly cause all the perks I have so far are pumped into the Sneak skill tree.

Same goes for my Legionary...heavy armor + sword & shield. But he can just tank things so it doesn't really count in my book.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
KageOokami said:
only "overpowered" thing i have found would be... some dragon fights (the harder dragons blood and ancient) depending on the area in which i am fighting. That and the dragon priests that have masks to collect, they are a tad annoying.
Oh dear god, it took me an hour to kill Krosis, and I only won when Lydia pushed him over the edge of a cliff giving me a perfect vantage point to pepper him with arrows.

Other than that there's a boss in a crypt where you have to get two ceremonial weapons to open the door to him. I got that far and then got my ass handed to me harder than anything. Krosis was hard but at least I could see that I was doing damage, this guy is just scary.

All in all though, happy with the difficulty. I've taken a note of that crypt and will return once I've created my dragonbane armour set (100% resistance frost and fire).

rosque

Nov 7, 2011
Yes and no. Some enemies seem underpowered, some seem overpowered. I don't really think they got the range well-done to be honest. Those Fsking snow bears and sabre tooth cats are way more powerful than they should be though, most definitely.

Brainsaw

May 8, 2008
Don't know why people say the dragons are too easy. The last two times I killed one it was a fun battle. The dragon could have easily wasted me if i didn't fight smart and use cover when I could. But apparently the game thought that wasn't enough and my most recent battle with one turned into a free for all between a Khajit spellwarrior, a giant and his attack mammoth, and a blood dragon who owned the giant and damaged the mammoth enough for me to down it easily with my newly beefed up Fire Breath. And that was the second time I fought it.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
I am vewy sneaky in Skyrim. I found out that going full frontal attack on anybody is almost certain death, especially since i'm still leveling up my weapon attacks...

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I actually find Skyrim's combat to be more balanced than in Oblivion

Just walking up to baddies and slicing them up and stopping to puase for a potion or 2 may serve for a bit, but eventually you'll have dodge, take cover, shout, rely on your allies for help, etc.

This is a game that actually requires a decent amount of intelligence and skill to tackle.

You see, PC Gamers? you're not the only ones with games that require brain power, with your Crysis games that require looking for expensive heavy-duty processors and video cards, RPG's with complicated controls, and stuff like that.

s0meNo0b

Feb 21, 2011
Meh, so far with my 20 assassin I'm doing alright, but the game does like messing with me. On the way to kill the rest of the Silver hand I ran into fight with a dragon, a bear, some ice wolves, spiders, a friggin giant. Ugh.