Poll: Are Skyrim enemies overpowered?

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
I found when traversing snowy regions the sabercats kept sneeking up on me and killing my ass in two hits so yeah I know what your talking about.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
No!

Some are leveled with you others are not so yeah sometimes you find an enemy that is tough. But the trick is to be smarter not just more powerful.

I did manage to beat a hairy elephant thing by using a rock between me and it. I kept going around it and used my bow and spells to weaken it. In the end I won

The trick is to be smarter not more powerful. Use the weaknesses of the enemies! If that is that they don't understand that a rock between you and it can't be scaled so be it!

The Hagravens are though very though so are magic users but.. again I usually sneak into areas so I do at least get a first good hit with multipliers

Tsuki Akechi

Feb 20, 2011
Nah, it's all about how you approach a situation. But I do have to admit that trolls are quite powerful. Invest in magic or up the enchantment skill to get better ranged weapons, because if you can't take something down, just get up on a high surface and spam spells/arrows until enemy is dead.

Sep 14, 2009
its not bad, hell oblivion was easier imo, (i played on half bar in oblivion, so take that for whatever it's worth.), it just depends on what level you are/what monster you run into mostly.

although i did run into 5-6 mages at level 2...that sucked major ass trying to kill em.

otherwise most of the time planning/using the environment to your advantage has saved be quite a bit.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
I thought this way at first. Now that I'm level 30 with max stealth and perks, all I have to do is crouch and attack. That generally gives me a sneak attack. 30x damage. Instant kill on almost everything.

ColoursBleed

Nov 16, 2011
I'll be honest, some enemies do seem extremely overpowered. Like, Bandit leaders and also Mages to some degree. But i think it's also down to the fact that, in my opinion, magic has become so much more powerful than conventional melee weapons. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the game's too difficult or bad, I love it <3, but balance issues are frustrating.

spikeyjoey

Sep 9, 2009
Bambi On Toast said:
As an Oblivion fan, I'm loving how Skyrim is more balanced.

Like Oblivion, I'm playing on normal difficulty. I actually find myself dying quite a lot. Bandit leaders sometimes take a few tries, finding the best strategy. The combat is more fun since you have to try different strategies sometimes to triumph.

For example, I'm a straight up 2hander warrior Orc guy. I can kill most things in 3-4 hits like Giants and the weaker varieties of Dragon. I can take on 10 bandits at once with not much trouble. However, I can still find Bandit Mages/Hagravens which can take all of my hp in 3 seconds before I even get close to use my axe. The stronger Necromancers are especially deadly. While some may call it OP, I say it's great design.

Mages casting frost spells are gonna slow heavy warriors to almost a standstill and they won't stand a chance. So now you've gotta find different ways. I often have to use all kinds of spells, potions and shouts to kill the harder casters. Personally, I use the Spellbreaker shield with the Elemental Protection perk against casters. The combined 50% reduction of spell damage and 60 pts spell ward stops most spells scratching me, provided I hold block. It's a good method for warriors.

As for the other Monsters... they aren't so hard really. Trolls are fun to fight, and so are Bears. Sabre Cats were tough bastards when you encounter them at low level, but become complete pussies at higher levels. I thought I would never kill a giant either, but get a decent block skill and they're dead. Their attacks are laughably slow.
This is actually a fantastic point.. i was going to point out that bandit leaders are too strong (being able to kill you in 2-3 hits), like the OP, and only just recently it took me 3 or 4 tries to kill one.. but 3-4 isnt bad, i never got truly frustrated (apart from that ice spike guy in the tunnels under the honeymead brewery!! :mad: ), and it was quite satisfying taking him down in the end (frost shout ftw).

Having to think a little and vary my strategy was one of my favourite aspects of one of my favourite games (baldurs gate 2), so i think skyrim deserves the same credit

Ryank1908

Oct 18, 2009
Sometimes it can feel like it's overpowered but those moments are generally against enemies that are supposed to be very difficult, like Dragon Priests and such. You do have to switch up your approaches for different enemies. I'll bring out my magic-resist shield for casters and down an appropriate elemental resistance potion, match my shouts to the enemies weaknesses, bring out my dual-wield set for large groups of weaker enemies, and whip out my bow to pick off the strongest enemy before the fight begins in earnest. I love the difficulty curve. It works so much better than it has in any other Bethesda game.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Gabanuka said:
Not really, aside from that motherfucking troll.
Bastard hit Lydia off a cliffside!

OT: Not really. The only really strong monsters are trolls (which are giant ass bastards), Giants (again), Mammoths (again), and magic users since they cut through my armour so quickly.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Gabanuka said:
This. I can fight a god damn dragon and walk out ok to some degree.

Fight a troll? I'll be lucky to come out with more then a quarter health.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
CRY SOME MOAR!!!
(for full effect, remember that this is the dragon shout that summons a heavy-set and oddly cartoonish man wielding a 150kg minigun that fires 200 dollar custom-tooled cartridges at ten thousand rounds per minute. expenses already paid for in advance)

But yeah, I have to agree with ya. Some enemies take funny amounts of bashing in the face or melting in the face to go down.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
It started off a bit tricky, but as I levelled up it got quite easy, so that I turned it up to hard, but I'm using a sneaky archer, which make the game a bit too easy. Overall, I would say that they have nailed the overall difficulty. However, some things like bandits and spiders are too easy whereas trolls and giants are hard, so it all balances out.

Occasionally they have fights that are perfectly balanced and require a strategy of sneaking, shooting, timing of shouts and dodging. A good example is in the second Thieves Guild quest...

and there's that lunatic breeding an army of skeevers, his ice attacks ... well... iced me.

Also, those bandits you run into in the Ratway in Riften.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I haven't run into anything like that. Frost trolls are a ***** if you aren't focused on fire magic, but with strategy you can take them without too much trouble. Bandit leaders and stuff like that can be tough, but I feel that's appropriate, it would be boring if there wasn't some challenge.

My only real problem is the dragon's breath weapons. Their sustained breath does way too much damage, if you don't have some hard cover you are screwed, even with dual-casted healing spells and potions of health and potions of magicka and a good ammount of health or magicka or both.

True, there's usually cover, but sometimes it's just rediculous.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Gabanuka said:
That Troll was nothing. On my trip up the great stairs, I rolled a freaking dragon random encounter. The troll was a mere mudcrab compared to it.

I did, however, abandon my first character due to faceplanting way more often than I wanted to. I had spread my perks thin and thus was way weaker than my foes in combat.

My new 80/20 Warrior/Mage Redguard is doing MUCH better. No cakewalk though.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
I find some of the bosses a little too powerful but that's because they're bosses. Regular enemies, bandits and such, are a little too easy :/

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
I find there's generally a good mix, although I will agree that the mages get *really* annoying, since they seem to be able to endlessly spout flames/lightning/ice and stick to you like glue if you get too close. A good bow bash to the face (I'm a Bosmer archer/sneaky type) usually brings them up short though, especially after I picked the lock on that display case early on and got an elven bow...

...which made the first dragon fight a bit depressing - I'd kind of got distracted onto side quests and things for a whikle (like stealing everything that wasn't nailed down), and when I finally went to fight the dragon, it went down with two steel arrows. Two. I was level 8 at the time and I was gearing up for an epic battle...

...I even got my arrows back =P Still fun though.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Hm. While the enemies aren't all that OPed, I'd have to say the player's magic is. Gimme Flames in both my hands and a healthy supply of Magicka potions and my Argonian becomes the truest, closest-to-being-literal Dragonborn ever. I can eat through at least three dudes before they manage to hit me.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Yes and no. Toe to toe, not really as long as you play smart. Allowing a saber cat to charge straight in and pounce as a cloth coated caster will likely get you two shotted but if you play smart, side-step and come at them sideways, they are cake.

The yes part of my answer is more the fault of the level scaling. I am playing a sword and board Nord and at level 28 I decided to work on my 2 hander skill. In other words, I decided to get my face beat in by dragons and bandits because my warhammer does literally half of what my waraxe does per hit and I can no longer block and bash properly.

I will admit to coming across a bandit camp with a caster and being 3 hit killed by never miss fireballs but that was nothing the save feature couldn't fix. When I came back, I charged past the melee, sprinted, and he was the first to die.

Stainlesssteele4

Jul 5, 2011
I'd say that they're just right. Not too difficult as to be OP, but not too easy as in most of the push-over enemies of Oblivion.