Poll: Are video games derogatory to women?

Grimm91

Jan 8, 2009
In the early days of the last generation the gaming world was rocked by the brand new introduction of "Boob physics". This allowed for a drastic change in female representation in games. Women began appearing as large breasted insanely attractive sex dolls. This representation then begs the question, are video games derogatory? Some might say no its simple fantasy and others might state that it gives an unrealistic view of women.

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
This is your third topic that has been done to death. And obviously, it really just depends on the game. Pretty much almost every game in existence is not, but games like the GTA series or games like Soul Calibur (see Ivy) can easily be considered derogatory. Shouldn't need others to clarify that for you.

FuzziBunni

Jun 11, 2008
I actually find itreally funny playing games like Soul Calibur and watching characters toss their chest around, knocking enemies to ground (not really but you get my point). Games are also derogatory against men too. Just about every character is some well built, nicely musceled dude with perfectly cut hair for his high cheeks and a bit of stubble. Do all guys look like this? Are all guys supposed to look like this? Do guys find this offensive? i don't mind the eye candy, and I am sure guys don't mind watching Kratos find the hidden women and doing naughty things ^_^

Allan53

Dec 13, 2007
First we have to examine the question asked: Given how women are portrayed in video games as love interests (I would debate that, but that's neither here nor there), is this derogatory? Well, yes and no. Is it derogatory to portray the ideal? People hold Marylin Munroe up as a sex symbol, is that wrong? No, we just acknowledge her excellence and honor her appropriately. People hold sports stars up as heroes, and use them as motivational tools to excel in certain areas.

On the other hand, does this portrayal of ideals cause women to feel insignificant, and if so is it directly due to the portrayal, or is that just a reaction because of insecurities? If a child is having problems excelling in sport, do his parents hand a picture of a sports star on his wall? No, they encourage him to find other pursuits to which he is more suited. So the real problem isn't "Are video games derogatory to women?", it's "How can we help women (if they need it, of course) deal with their insecurities and move on to other areas?

Just my view.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
well they are derogatory to women just as much as they are to men. i mean all guys are muscle bound and gun crazy

and yes this topic has been done to death

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
It strikes me that no one would ever bother asking if video games are derogatory to men because video game men are handsome and muscular. Why is that?

Does that indicate a view that women are more delicate and more insecure than men? Is that correct? Should it be correct? Is it derogatory to believe women are so much more insecure than men?

Also, why is it derogatory to women to portray a woman as being attractive and having large breasts? Are attractive large breasted real life women derogatory to women?

Jan 3, 2009
Grimm91 said:
In the early days of the last generation the gaming world was rocked by the brand new introduction of "Boob physics". This allowed for a drastic change in female representation in games. Women began appearing as large breasted insanely attractive sex dolls. This representation then begs the question, are video games derogatory? Some might say no its simple fantasy and others might state that it gives an unrealistic view of women.
I lost track when I read the words boob physics. I didnt want to sound stupid in my post so I reasearched boob physics to get a better understanding of the topic. I reasearched for hours if you know what I mean.

But in all seriousness, If a fat chick was my love interest It would throw me off. I dont mean to sound sexist but guys like pretty girls and hate ugly girls at first site. since we cant emmotionally attach the only way devs can make us love them is with boob physics. I still dont understand why hammer had to look like fat white naruko from heavenly sword.

Until AI is out of the uncanny valley we will remain with boob physics. And what strait male could possibly object to this?

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
CmdrGoob said:
It strikes me that no one would ever bother asking if video games are derogatory to men because video game men are handsome and muscular. Why is that?

Does that indicate a view that women are more delicate and more insecure than men? Is that correct? Should it be correct? Is it derogatory to believe women are so much more insecure than men?

Also, why is it derogatory to women to portray a woman as being attractive and having large breasts? Are attractive large breasted real life women derogatory to women?
Well the male concept of beauty for himself is almost exactly the same as the concept women have for men. It's hard to create a problem when the concepts are all but legion. It also is important to realize that men in western cultures really are not allowed to complain about this sort of thing at all. (Much in the same way heterosexual men are never in abusive relationships.)

Furthermore the male concept of beauty for women is different enough from what is remotely attainable by a human being that it can cause problems when it comes to female self-esteem. (This is no different than what happens when hyper-thin (and ironically vaguely masculine) supermodels are held up as the goal for women.)

Grimm91

Jan 8, 2009
Until AI is out of the uncanny valley we will remain with boob physics. And what strait male could possibly object to this?[/quote]

Well ones with actual women that they love and care for but most other men well I always just thought that they were desperate.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Compare video games to the more common brand of action films, then come back to me with which you think is the most derogatory. I'm not talking physically, cos physical ideals are all part of the escapism - and heck, you think the models on magazine covers look like that before the digital artists were set to work? I'm talking about role, plot relevance and all that jazz. Been done to death before in all those 'girl gamer' threads, but I honestly believe that game developers are beginning to realise that no-one is deeply interested in plastic, unbelievable characters of either gender. That is, slowly realise.