Poll: Are you a Camper

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
CORRODED SIN" post="9.167106.4463067 said:
Easy question.

If you do, you ruin the game.
quote]

I disagree.

"Camping" is an "ok" way to play. If you do it wrong, you get predictable (and get killed) and you arent helping the team..
YOu give up mobility to keep watch on a very specific spot.

If you cant take out a camper just avoid him, or flank him. Dont try to take him out in some frontal assault, it will likely fail.

Spawn-Camping however, is wrong.

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
Flames66 said:
Sorry to disagree but camping is far better than running around in my opinion. I play TF2 and I have the cloak and dagger. I hide in corners and stay hidden until the perfect opertunity to leap out and get a backstab. After that I try to disapear again to do it again later. I don't score particularly highly but I enjoy myself which, atleast as I understand the word game, is the point.

As well as that, camping is far more realistic. It annoys me in "realistic" games that you have the players running around like ADHD suffering road runners. Any real soldier would be taking cover and trying to return fire and use tactical advances.
your point about tf2 dosnent really sound like "camping" per-say

your simpley using the characters perks to its advantages.....its like people who shpout at snipers for camping.....theres a difference..small..but theres a difference

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
I run around like an absolute cock and then wonder why I get killed all the time. I can't be arsed sitting around, using tactics online

Harry3

Nov 16, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
CORRODED SIN said:
Easy question.

That is just prejudice. There are many factors and ideas in the human brain that can make one think if it is best for the situaton at hand, and that is not even mentioning if it even pays off.

CORRODED SIN said:
(Sniping is camping by nature, and that is how you use the weapon, so you do not count. This refers to when you are using anything except a sniper rifle.)
Yeash, just a sniper rifle? That is just being picky! Not even a "standard" rifle and sniping with it?
CORRODED SIN said:
I have a lot of time in online shooters.
So...?
CORRODED SIN said:
I know the percentage of Campers to Players.
Oh I see!

Oh wait, I don't.

You haven't showed us your statistics.
CORRODED SIN said:
(Camping is not playing the game.)
Really? Or is it just the ocassional underhand tactic that annoys you when it ruins a large spree?
CORRODED SIN said:
So just be honest.
Hence my scrutiny of your post.
CORRODED SIN said:
----------------
..........?
CORRODED SIN said:
I hate camping.
You said that already.
CORRODED SIN said:
I run around, usually with my Vector.
Oh I see MW2 right? You definitly lost a spree then!
[sub]Run around...WITH A TAC-KNIFE?![/sub]
CORRODED SIN said:
Just went 31-11 in hardcore TDM a little while ago.
Good for you! And I guess the "camper" didn't do as well? Does that not rest your fear/anger?
CORRODED SIN said:
Sorry about the 2 posts if you see both.
Apology accepted, even if I didn't see the two posts.
CORRODED SIN said:
I forgot the poll.
Good. Most polls have irrelevant options that tend to skew the results.

and the entire point of that scrutiny and your post was...?

ontopic: no I do not have the time or patience to sit in a corner, even with a sniper rifle. I move around with every gun I use because I prefer the practise of encountering people head on (even with snipers, I love a challenge). Of course Im talking PC Gaming here. I can imagine there a lot more campers on consoles because its harder to move fluidly without much practise.

Aug 25, 2009
I snipe like you should in the real world. One shot, made from a good position, then move before you give that position away, take up a space somewhere else, and wait for the next opportunity. There's a difference betwen camping and sniping, and I only ever snipe with a sniper rifle, in a semi-realistic way. I don't even wait to confirm kills, just make the shot and get the hell out.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I sometimes camp when I'm defending a post, or if I know that a guy with a rocket launcher is coming our way in Halo 3. I'd say that for those reasons, I find it necessary to camp, but other than that - I'm charge head-first at the opposing team and I just hope that I don't get shot by more than one person.

Am I a camper, or do those reasons allow it?

Tandtroll

Cookie Cruncher
Oct 18, 2009
Well as I very rarely play games where I have to target people myself, I have very little experience on this topic. I have however noticed that the smartest tactic for a talentless, patient idiot like me is to move around behind cover, sporadically "camping" to take out those unfortunate fools who dare enter the open areas.

So what I think is, camping per say is not a bad way of playing a game. It keeps everyone on their toes and make for more interesting gameplay if done "right". As some have mentioned, there are numerous times when it is ok or even expected. So yeah. I pressed "YES" in the poll, because when it is advantagous I sometimes camp. And if my friends think I'm an ass for doing that, they're welcome to scoot over and kick me.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Sometimes I camp, sometimes I don't. Yes I get annoyed when people camp, but only when I can't root them out. In which case they're shit campers.

Camping isn't a bad thing to do. It's a strategy, which works very well if done properly. It is also relatively easy to counter, unless the entire team is working together, in which case they should be applauded for accomplishing what most players fail at: Tactics.

Every camping strategy can be countered. People should stop whining about it and deal with it.

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
Anyone is entitled to play with any strategy usable within the the game.

I tend not to camp very often, I used to a bit but now I find I do better moving about, now it's just occasionally if I'm sniping.

However nothing gets me more pissed off than someone saying 'N00B CAMPER' or noob anything to be honest... if they're killing you, then they're currently better than you at playing the game, why hell are you calling them the newbie?

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
No I don't camp simply because I don't enjoy it, I like running around. But whenever I've tried to snipe or temporarily camp in the past I've also been killed fairly quickly, so to say it doesn't require skill is wrong.

It's also a completely legitimate tactic and they are 'playing properly'. There should be multiple tactics and ways to play a game, and in a first person shooter camping is one of them.

If everyone played games in exactly the same way it would be a pretty boring multiplayer experience.

mrF00bar

Mar 17, 2009
CORRODED SIN said:
Easy question.

(Sniping is camping by nature, and that is how you use the weapon, so you do not count. This refers to when you are using anything except a sniper rifle.)

I have a lot of time in online shooters. I know the percentage of Campers to Players. (Camping is not playing the game.)

So just be honest.

----------------

I hate camping. I run around, usually with my Vector. Just went 31-11 in hardcore TDM a little while ago.

Sorry about the 2 posts if you see both. I forgot the poll.
Camping is part of the game, always has been and always will be sniper or not. If you cant accept that, then it just goes to show how ignorant and immature you must be.

Beardon65

Jul 16, 2009
Does shooting from behind cover to cover/support another soldier, or to wait to make sure the area up ahead is clear count?